Re: [FH] Enlarged Atria--Nutritional/ Holistic Support?

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2011
      Hi Amy

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, water glow <waterglow12@...> wrote:
      > The newest pharmaceutical prescribed is Vetmedin. Do you know if she can be weaned off this medication if her condition improves substantially?

      Vetmedin is a heart drug that is not recommended for cats with the most common type of feline heart disease, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Is the prescribing vet a cardiologist? Are you able to see a veterinary cardiologist in your area, or can your vet do a consult if there is no cardio in your area? I urge this because Vetmedin (pimobendan) is prescribed only in very specific situations for cats and should be prescribed by someone who is very familiar with feline cardiac disease and with pimobendan.

      Vetmedin is almost always a lifetime medication. The pills are flavored, but almost no one likes the flavor, it's very annoying that the company doesn't make it in a smaller tablet or a capsule. They also give the compounding companies a hard time about compounding it.