sort of non-heart question: pet insurance companies

  • calebmylove
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      Given the extensive cost our heart kitties can rack up with their health problems, I was wondering if anyone has pet insurance?

      If yes, which company and have they been helpful with paying the vet bills?

      Also, if anyone has pet insurance, is anyone in Canada? Although I think their policies are similar.

      Thanks everyone, and hugs to you and your kitties!

      Cynthia
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2011
        Hi -- I'm in Canada. When I took Tigger in for his first exam after I bought him, some company gave me 6 weeks of free coveage, hoping that I would continue to take it. But I read it, and it doesn't cover any pre-existing conditions. My vet said that even tho Tigg hadn't been tested for HCM yet, the fact that he had a MURMUR was enough that they could consider any heart-related issues to be pre-existing. So they wouldn't pay for anything having to do with his heart anyway, so I didn't sign up. You have to read all the fine print!

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
          Hi

          I have my cats insured with Petplan UK and they have always paid out
          quickly and fairly for the cats whether its heart investigations or a tumour.
          They don't cover pre-existing conditions.

        • Lisa Clarizia Blueyes
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
            I didn't for my first heart kitty -- thanks to a bequest from my late
            grandmother, it wasn't the financial disaster it might have been otherwise.
            What's funny is she didn't like pets in general very much and was probably
            rolling in her grave every time I spent that money on my cat.

            I now have Care Credit, which has been a godsend, although not with my
            current heart kitty! She's asymptomatic and doing well, but everyone else
            in the cat family has needed dental work lately ...

            Lisa

            On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM, calebmylove <calebmylove@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > Given the extensive cost our heart kitties can rack up with their health
            > problems, I was wondering if anyone has pet insurance?
            >
            > If yes, which company and have they been helpful with paying the vet bills?
            >
            > Also, if anyone has pet insurance, is anyone in Canada? Although I think
            > their policies are similar.
            >
            > Thanks everyone, and hugs to you and your kitties!
            >
            > Cynthia

          • Melissa Legan
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
              I have pet insurance. Thankfully, I had a policy in place before Winston was diagnosed, so they cover everything. I use Purina Care. (www.purinacare.com). They have never denied any of my claims. THey even pay for my phone consults with the vet and house calls from the pet nurses.

              If you need more info, please contact me.

              Melissa