Re: [FH] Punky is peeing outside the litter box

  • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
      If it's not health-related, from what I've read, the biggest reason for cats
      urinating outside the litter box is not scooping enough. Also, if the
      litterbox is covered, uncover it (a lot of cats hate covered boxes; they
      remind me of portapotties, so I get that <G>). Get a box with a lower lipped
      box that is easier to get in and out of. Scoop daily. Wash it with mild soap
      and water weekly.

      I had cats not compliant in their litterbox usage and doing these things
      really helped. But, my boy cats have all been neutered, so if this is
      marking behavior and not "just" not using the box, I got nothing. :-)

      Sue & Boo

      > Since last week Punky has being peeing outside the litter box. I have
      > checked his urine and seems normal (no blood).
      > He is not on diuretics (he is only on enalapril and atenolol) He also takes
      > CoQ10 and L-carnitine as a supplement.
      >
      > Ruling out the fact that he has no urinary infection (the vet has already
      > checked for this), is there a chance that this behaviour might be related to
      > his heart condition (has HCM, septum valve and defective pulmonary valve)?
      > My vet thinks is a behavioural issue, however we do not want to neuter him,
      > because we don't want to have the risk of anesthesia...
      > I just wanted to ask you guys if you have your heart kitties with a similar
      > issue?
    • Ana Gutierrez
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011
        Dear Sue nd Lorie,

        Thanks for your advice. I have to admit I am quite relieved to see that it
        seems not to be related with his heart condition.

        To be honest I don't think its behavioural either since he does it when he
        wakes up (and can't reach the litter box) or when he is far away from it. I
        have caught him in the act a couple of times, carry him and take him very
        gently to the litter box. There is no pause, he pees all the way to the
        litter box and an incredible high amount of urine. He has never pooed
        outside the litter box anyway.
        I am not sure what to do...

        Thanks
        Ana

      • LorieAHuston@cs.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011
          Hi Ana.

          I believe you said that your vet has checked his urine and it was normal (no sign of infection anyway). What was the specific gravity of his urine? (Specific gravity is a measure of how concentrated the urine is.) Has he had any blood tests done recently? Thyroid values? Kidney values (BUN, creatinine, electrolytes)? Liver enzymes? I'm guessing he probably has but just trying to cover all the bases and rule out medical issues.

          Lorie

          Thanks for your advice. I have to admit I am quite relieved to see that it
          eems not to be related with his heart condition.
          To be honest I don't think its behavioural either since he does it when he
          akes up (and can't reach the litter box) or when he is far away from it. I
          ave caught him in the act a couple of times, carry him and take him very
          ently to the litter box. There is no pause, he pees all the way to the
          itter box and an incredible high amount of urine. He has never pooed
          utside the litter box anyway.
          am not sure what to do...
          Thanks
          na

          pumie@...> wrote:

          If it's not health-related, from what I've read, the biggest reason for
          cats
          urinating outside the litter box is not scooping enough. Also, if the
          litterbox is covered, uncover it (a lot of cats hate covered boxes; they
          remind me of portapotties, so I get that <G>). Get a box with a lower
          lipped
          box that is easier to get in and out of. Scoop daily. Wash it with mild
          soap
          and water weekly.

          I had cats not compliant in their litterbox usage and doing these things
          really helped. But, my boy cats have all been neutered, so if this is
          marking behavior and not "just" not using the box, I got nothing. :-)

          Sue & Boo

          > Since last week Punky has being peeing outside the litter box. I have
          > checked his urine and seems normal (no blood).
          > He is not on diuretics (he is only on enalapril and atenolol) He also
          takes
          > CoQ10 and L-carnitine as a supplement.
          >
          > Ruling out the fact that he has no urinary infection (the vet has already
          > checked for this), is there a chance that this behaviour might be related
          > his heart condition (has HCM, septum valve and defective pulmonary
          valve)?
          > My vet thinks is a behavioural issue, however we do not want to neuter
          him,
          > because we don't want to have the risk of anesthesia...
          > I just wanted to ask you guys if you have your heart kitties with a
          similar
          > issue?

          ------------------------------------
          Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your reply will
          enefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo!
          roups Links
          Individual Email | Traditional
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Ana Gutierrez
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011
            Dear Lorie,

            Thanks for your answer. The vet only made a culture out of the urine.
            I just asked him what you have and he will take those samples tomorrow
            morning. He says I am over-reacting and it is only a behavioural issue. I
            really hope that is the case.

            Best,
            Ana

          • LorieAHuston@cs.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011
              I do too, Ana. But it's better to have it checked out than not, I think.

              pumie@...