Punky is peeing outside the litter box

  • Ana Gutierrez
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hello all,

      Since last week Punky has being peeing outside the litter box. I have
      checked his urine and seems normal (no blood).
      He is not on diuretics (he is only on enalapril and atenolol) He also takes
      CoQ10 and L-carnitine as a supplement.

      Ruling out the fact that he has no urinary infection (the vet has already
      checked for this), is there a chance that this behaviour might be related to
      his heart condition (has HCM, septum valve and defective pulmonary valve)?
      My vet thinks is a behavioural issue, however we do not want to neuter him,
      because we don't want to have the risk of anesthesia...
      I just wanted to ask you guys if you have your heart kitties with a similar
      issue?

      Best,
      Ana

    • LorieAHuston@cs.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
        It doesn't seem likely that heart disease would cause your Punky to urinate outside of the litter box unless he is weak/lethargic enough that he simply doesn't want to travel to the box. Since you didn't mention that type of behavior and you did mention he is not taking a diuretic and his urine was found to be normal at his vet exam, a behavioral issue seems to make more sense to me, especially since he is not neutered. (And I can certainly understand why you don't want to risk anesthesia to neuter him!)

        Lorie Huston, DVM
        www.pet-health-care-gazette.com

        Since last week Punky has being peeing outside the litter box. I have
        checked his urine and seems normal (no blood).
        He is not on diuretics (he is only on enalapril and atenolol) He also takes
        CoQ10 and L-carnitine as a supplement.

        Ruling out the fact that he has no urinary infection (the vet has already
        checked for this), is there a chance that this behaviour might be related to
        his heart condition (has HCM, septum valve and defective pulmonary valve)?
        My vet thinks is a behavioural issue, however we do not want to neuter him,
        because we don't want to have the risk of anesthesia...
        I just wanted to ask you guys if you have your heart kitties with a similar
        issue?

        Best,
        Ana

      • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
          If it's not health-related, from what I've read, the biggest reason for cats
          urinating outside the litter box is not scooping enough. Also, if the
          litterbox is covered, uncover it (a lot of cats hate covered boxes; they
          remind me of portapotties, so I get that <G>). Get a box with a lower lipped
          box that is easier to get in and out of. Scoop daily. Wash it with mild soap
          and water weekly.

          I had cats not compliant in their litterbox usage and doing these things
          really helped. But, my boy cats have all been neutered, so if this is
          marking behavior and not "just" not using the box, I got nothing. :-)

          Sue & Boo

          > Since last week Punky has being peeing outside the litter box. I have
          > checked his urine and seems normal (no blood).
          > He is not on diuretics (he is only on enalapril and atenolol) He also takes
          > CoQ10 and L-carnitine as a supplement.
          >
          > Ruling out the fact that he has no urinary infection (the vet has already
          > checked for this), is there a chance that this behaviour might be related to
          > his heart condition (has HCM, septum valve and defective pulmonary valve)?
          > My vet thinks is a behavioural issue, however we do not want to neuter him,
          > because we don't want to have the risk of anesthesia...
          > I just wanted to ask you guys if you have your heart kitties with a similar
          > issue?
        • Ana Gutierrez
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011
            Dear Sue nd Lorie,

            Thanks for your advice. I have to admit I am quite relieved to see that it
            seems not to be related with his heart condition.

            To be honest I don't think its behavioural either since he does it when he
            wakes up (and can't reach the litter box) or when he is far away from it. I
            have caught him in the act a couple of times, carry him and take him very
            gently to the litter box. There is no pause, he pees all the way to the
            litter box and an incredible high amount of urine. He has never pooed
            outside the litter box anyway.
            I am not sure what to do...

            Thanks
            Ana

          • LorieAHuston@cs.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011
              Hi Ana.

              I believe you said that your vet has checked his urine and it was normal (no sign of infection anyway). What was the specific gravity of his urine? (Specific gravity is a measure of how concentrated the urine is.) Has he had any blood tests done recently? Thyroid values? Kidney values (BUN, creatinine, electrolytes)? Liver enzymes? I'm guessing he probably has but just trying to cover all the bases and rule out medical issues.

              Lorie

              Thanks for your advice. I have to admit I am quite relieved to see that it
              eems not to be related with his heart condition.
              To be honest I don't think its behavioural either since he does it when he
              akes up (and can't reach the litter box) or when he is far away from it. I
              ave caught him in the act a couple of times, carry him and take him very
              ently to the litter box. There is no pause, he pees all the way to the
              itter box and an incredible high amount of urine. He has never pooed
              utside the litter box anyway.
              am not sure what to do...
              Thanks
              na

              pumie@...> wrote:

              If it's not health-related, from what I've read, the biggest reason for
              cats
              urinating outside the litter box is not scooping enough. Also, if the
              litterbox is covered, uncover it (a lot of cats hate covered boxes; they
              remind me of portapotties, so I get that <G>). Get a box with a lower
              lipped
              box that is easier to get in and out of. Scoop daily. Wash it with mild
              soap
              and water weekly.

              I had cats not compliant in their litterbox usage and doing these things
              really helped. But, my boy cats have all been neutered, so if this is
              marking behavior and not "just" not using the box, I got nothing. :-)

              Sue & Boo

              > Since last week Punky has being peeing outside the litter box. I have
              > checked his urine and seems normal (no blood).
              > He is not on diuretics (he is only on enalapril and atenolol) He also
              takes
              > CoQ10 and L-carnitine as a supplement.
              >
              > Ruling out the fact that he has no urinary infection (the vet has already
              > checked for this), is there a chance that this behaviour might be related
              > his heart condition (has HCM, septum valve and defective pulmonary
              valve)?
              > My vet thinks is a behavioural issue, however we do not want to neuter
              him,
              > because we don't want to have the risk of anesthesia...
              > I just wanted to ask you guys if you have your heart kitties with a
              similar
              > issue?

              ------------------------------------
              Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your reply will
              enefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo!
              roups Links
              Individual Email | Traditional
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Ana Gutierrez
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011
                Dear Lorie,

                Thanks for your answer. The vet only made a culture out of the urine.
                I just asked him what you have and he will take those samples tomorrow
                morning. He says I am over-reacting and it is only a behavioural issue. I
                really hope that is the case.

                Best,
                Ana

              • LorieAHuston@cs.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011
                  I do too, Ana. But it's better to have it checked out than not, I think.

                  pumie@...