RE: [FH] Re: dosage question

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 9, 2011
      Thanks Carol...where do you inject into? Judi and Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: carolroar@...
      Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Re: dosage question

      hi Judi,

      We used both pepcid and injectable ondansetron for Snowball at the same time. Pepcid is an acid blocker, inhibits the stomach from producing too much acid, where the ondansetron/zofran affects the area of the brain that has to do with the nausea... so it's stopping the signal to the body to be nauseated. That's the way I understand it.

      The injections are soooo easy! A tiny little injection with an insulin syringe. It's only .35 of 1cc per dose, and the insulin syringes are teeny tiny so they don't really hurt at all. At least they didn't for Snowball.

      When we got Snowball's nausea under control, we were able to stop the pepcid and only give her the ondansetron/zofran, and sometimes we didn't have to give it to her every day.

      and the gang

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maxlevensmom" <judi_john@...> wrote:

      > Hi: We are able to buy Ondansetron here in Mexico, but only injectable...has anyone done this? I would SO prefer not to do it, but I can't find the pills for either it or Zofran (I think they are too expensive for most people here...10 pills is about $150...IF they had them.) Pepcid AC seems to be helping some...do these two things treat the same condition, or should they be used together? thanks for all yor help...Judi and Max

    • Ana Gutierrez
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
        My vets ask if you know the reason of the nausea.

        They told me that Zofrán can be injected intramuscularly (hope that word
        exists), and that is really easy.
        Touch Max's back leg, in the back part try to feel where the two muscles
        join (in this picture:
        http://www.pictures-of-kittens-and-cats.com/images/feline-anatomy-muscles.jpg
        shown
        as "biceps femoris flexes or bends leg")

        This explanation:
        Intramuscular injections are given in the muscle of the outside of the thigh
        behind the femur, half-way between the knee joint and the hip. Injections
        into vessels, nerves and joints can be avoided by giving the shot in the
        described location. As always, withdraw the plunger and check for blood in
        the syringe before administering the injection.
        from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Cat-Problems-and-Medications
        has the correct words.

        once you feel "the empty space" between those two muscles, that's where you
        should insert the needle. If the needle is too long do not insert it
        completely.

        Once you have introduced the needle, pull the plunger towards you to make
        sure you reach the correct spot (i.e., no blood should come out). Then push
        the plunger and inject the Zofrán.
        Remove the needle slowly and calmly

        For the first time you might want to roll up Max in a towel.

        I hope I made myself clear. If someone can rephrase me to make it easier, or
        if someone has some tips to help Judy, or corrections from my description..
        please tell us!

        Good luck with Max,
        Ana

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
          PS. Insert the needle perpendicularly to the upper back part of his leg...

          I can guide you through skype if you want to
          Ana

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
            Carol told me to do it behind the neck where the extra flesh is...maybe either is OK. Max is failing badly...I don't think it's going to be an issue. I have searched my soul and I cannot let him continue unless there is an improvement today/tomorrow...thank you for all your help...I will post more later...Judi and Max

            From: anagtz@...
            Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:17:00 -0600
            Subject: Re: [FH] Re: dosage question
            To: casaobelisco@...
            CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
            From: carolroar@...
            Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
              does anyone know what the actual dosage is for ondansetron? We can only get the injectable. John is gone to get some right now, although I'm a little unsure about whether to use it...Max does not vomit, just displays some other signs of nausea, like extreme gagging at the sight of food...can anyone offer any advice. He's very sick, and this is a "last ditch" effort to find something to make him turn around...thank you very much...Judi and Max

              From: carolroar@...
              Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                We were able to get ampules which are 8mg/4ml...can anyone tell us how much we should give? We will give it behind the scruff of the neck...thank you...please help...Judi and Max

                To: anagtz@...
                CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                From: casaobelisco@...
                Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:54:27 -0800

                From: anagtz@...
                Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:17:00 -0600
                To: casaobelisco@...
                CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                PS. Insert the needle perpendicularly to the upper back part of his leg...

                I can guide you through skype if you want toAna

                On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Ana Gutierrez <anagtz@...> wrote:

                My vets ask if you know the reason of the nausea.

                They told me that Zofr�n can be injected intramuscularly (hope that word exists), and that is really easy.
                Touch Max's back leg, in the back part try to feel where the two muscles join (in this picture: http://www.pictures-of-kittens-and-cats.com/images/feline-anatomy-muscles.jpg shown as "biceps femoris flexes or bends leg")

                This explanation:
                Intramuscular injections are given in the muscle of the outside of the thigh behind the femur, half-way between the knee joint and the hip. Injections into vessels, nerves and joints can be avoided by giving the shot in the described location. As always, withdraw the plunger and check for blood in the syringe before administering the injection.

                from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Cat-Problems-and-Medications
                has the correct words.

                once you feel "the empty space" between those two muscles, that's where you should insert the needle. If the needle is too long do not insert it completely.

                Once you have introduced the needle, pull the plunger towards you to make sure you reach the correct spot (i.e., no blood should come out). Then push the plunger and inject the Zofr�n.

                To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                From: carolroar@...
                Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                hi Judi,

                We used both pepcid and injectable ondansetron for Snowball at the same time. Pepcid is an acid blocker, inhibits the stomach from producing too much acid, where the ondansetron/zofran affects the area of the brain that has to do with the nausea... so it's stopping the signal to the body to be nauseated. That's the way I understand it.

                The injections are soooo easy! A tiny little injection with an insulin syringe. It's only .35 of 1cc per dose, and the insulin syringes are teeny tiny so they don't really hurt at all. At least they didn't for Snowball.

                When we got Snowball's nausea under control, we were able to stop the pepcid and only give her the ondansetron/zofran, and sometimes we didn't have to give it to her every day.

                and the gang

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maxlevensmom" <judi_john@...> wrote:

                > Hi: We are able to buy Ondansetron here in Mexico, but only injectable...has anyone done this? I would SO prefer not to do it, but I can't find the pills for either it or Zofran (I think they are too expensive for most people here...10 pills is about $150...IF they had them.) Pepcid AC seems to be helping some...do these two things treat the same condition, or should they be used together? thanks for all yor help...Judi and Max

              • Kristen G
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                  Hi Judi -- I don't know myself, but I did google it and found something on
                  petplace.com (don't know how reliable that is) that the normal dose for cats is
                  .11mg per pound.  How much does Max weigh?

                  I will continue to look.  I am so sorry you are going through this.

                  Kristen

                  ________________________________

                  To: anagtz@...
                  CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                  From: carolroar@...
                  Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                    Oh, that is every 8-12 hours.

                    ________________________________

                    To: anagtz@...
                    CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                    From: carolroar@...
                    Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                      Thank you all for all your help...we figured out that the dose should be about 1ml and we gave 1/2 of that for a first time to make sure he takes it OK...you guys are fabulous...I wll keep everyone posted on what develops. This has been a day from HELL...we are just so worried, and facing some really tough decisions if he doesn't rally quickly. He does seem a little better this afternoon, but very unsteady on his feet and just not getting enough food even with the assist feeding...we so appreciate all your help...Judi and Max and John

                      Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:20:16 -0800
                      From: apacheadd@...
                      To: casaobelisco@...

                      Found another thing -- a Q and A with a vet who said 1/4 of a 4mg tablet is the right dose for a 10 pound cat, may have to give twice a day. So, consistent with the .11mg per pound.

                      To: anagtz@...
                      CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                      From: casaobelisco@...
                      Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:54:27 -0800

                      From: carolroar@...
                      Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                        Judi, that dose seems kind of high based on what I read -- 2mg?  Does Max weigh
                        20 pounds?

                        I hope you got some other responses, and I don't know what I am talking about
                        anyway!!  Please let us know how he does.

                        Kristen

                        ________________________________

                        To: anagtz@...
                        CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                        From: carolroar@...
                        Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                          no, we gave him .5...thanks...Judi and Max

                          To: casaobelisco@...
                          CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                          To: anagtz@...
                          CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                          From: carolroar@...
                          Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                          hi Judi,

                          We used both pepcid and injectable ondansetron for Snowball at the same time.
                          Pepcid is an acid blocker, inhibits the stomach from producing too much acid,
                          where the ondansetron/zofran affects the area of the brain that has to do with
                          the nausea... so it's stopping the signal to the body to be nauseated. That's
                          the way I understand it.

                          The injections are soooo easy! A tiny little injection with an insulin syringe.
                          It's only .35 of 1cc per dose, and the insulin syringes are teeny tiny so they
                          don't really hurt at all. At least they didn't for Snowball.

                          When we got Snowball's nausea under control, we were able to stop the pepcid and
                          only give her the ondansetron/zofran, and sometimes we didn't have to give it to
                          her every day.

                          and the gang

                          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maxlevensmom" <judi_john@...> wrote:

                          > Hi: We are able to buy Ondansetron here in Mexico, but only injectable...has
                          >anyone done this? I would SO prefer not to do it, but I can't find the pills for
                          >either it or Zofran (I think they are too expensive for most people here...10
                          >pills is about $150...IF they had them.) Pepcid AC seems to be helping some...do
                          >these two things treat the same condition, or should they be used together?
                          >thanks for all yor help...Judi and Max

                        • Carol
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                            We always gave Snowball her Zofran/Ondansetron injections subQ and not in the muscle. I guess you can do it both ways. Maybe one way is faster absorbed than the other? Not sure.

                            and the gang

                            From: Ana Gutierrez anagtz@...

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                              The dose we gave Snowball was .35cc...that's about 1/3 of 1cc.

                              Carol

                              Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
                              and the gang

                              does anyone know what the actual dosage is for ondansetron?

                            • carolroars
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                                For everyone,

                                I wanted to give you the dosage information based on the vial/ampule size. Ondansetron/Zofran comes in a 4mg/2ml vials and a larger ampule that is 8mg/4ml. The dose is the same whether you have the small vial of 2ml or the larger ampule of 4ml. The ampule just has more volume in it, so where the 2ml vials have 4mg of ondansetron/zofran in them, the 4ml ampules do have 8mg of drug in them, because they're double the size not double the strength. So the dose of .35 that our internist had us give Snowball would be the same whether we had a 2ml or 4ml vial/ampule, because the strength of the drug inside is the same.

                                Carol