Re: [FH] when is it the end?

  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 9, 2011
      I think Michelle spoke very eloquently. It truly does come down to a quality of life issue. One thing to keep in mind: some cats will purr even when they're in serious trouble, so I wouldn't rely on purring to tell you when the time has arrived. But, as Michelle said, when he stops eating, stops interacting with you, when his eyes tell you he's suffering, that's when it's time to say goodbye.

      I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I've been through it with two of my cats too (one with heart disease and one with kidney disease). It hurts worse than anything else I've ever experienced, excepting maybe the loss of other family members.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2011
        It's the hardest thing we have to do when we love animals.. I just had to make the decision just 2 months ago with my Winston. My experience was similar to Michelle's. Winston stopped eating and stopped interacting with me. He slept with me every night -- even when he came home from the hospital and was not supposed to sleep on my bed, he insisted on it. He was very interactive and... I knew it was bad when not only did he not eat hardly anything for 2 days, but he woudl not stay on my bed and remained huddled up in the corner  under the kitchen table.

        Winston ended up having what appeared to be a tumor behind his eye which was unrelated to his HCM. I agree with what they said about treating the fluid. You don't want him to go that way - drowning in fluids within his chest. I woudl pay close attention to his eating and daily behavior. Sometimes you can kick start the eating. Winston's eating was kick started when he first came home from the hospital and lived for a year and a half after that.

         It depends on so many things... but.. I know the look in Winston's eyes at the end... he was sooo not himself and it was heartbreaking to see. As hard as it was/is for me, I am so glad that he did not suffer for very long. I think he probaby was in pain that last day or two but he was himself before that and enjoying his life. There is a book my mother read called something like "Live Long, Die Fast"...Winston enjoyed his life pretty much until the last 48-72 hours. Having him go down hilll so fast was awful for me, but I know it was better for him.

           It's funny I"m getting this email today. I unsubbed to the list yesterday but I haven't been unsubbed yet. It's too painful to read most of the time.. I don't have a cat anymore but.. maybe it was meant to be that I read your email today.

        I'm sending lots of love for you and your loved one,
        Cathy

        At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

        It's the inevitable difficult question: when will I know it's time to let him go?

        I know he is very sick. The vet and I decided to forego anymore invasive procedures about a month ago after x-raying his lungs and seeing the fluid build up. He is eating less and less, but he is eating. Yet when I spend time with him, he purrs (as always), connects with me as always and sleeps most of the day away. I thought that by now he'd be hiding in the closet; he doesn't. It's so confusing to me. I know finding the exact moment to take him for the final vet trip doesn't exist and there is a time frame for it instead. But I am so confused because I feel like there are mixed signals. Any advice on this difficult topic would really help me at this point.

      • Westgold

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2011
            Kate,
            I am very sorry that your kitty is declining.

            As others have written there are many factors to consider when deciding when is
            the right time for euthanasia.
            If a crisis can be avoided, rushing to an emergency vet who has no relationship
            with your or your vet can be avoided...I think that is good. Please remember
            your veterinarian's office hours or your own personal schedule.
            What will you do if your pet is suffering after hours?
            It is good to have emergency medicine on hand, possibly for pain relief, if your
            veterinarian has prescribed something for helping your pet get through the
            night.

            I have had to decide more than once on Sunday to bring my beloved pet in on a
            Monday, which is my day off.
            When we know there is no more hope, our baby is suffering then it is kindest for
            our pet and ourselves to pick a time and day and go in.

            Although, in our hearts, there is never really and truly a convenient time it is
            best to bring our pets in a day early rather than waiting too long.

            For me no hope means that my pet's pain or symptoms can not be controlled with
            medicine.
            My pet's quality of life is something he would not choose for himself. I also
            consider my pet's dignity. None of my pets wanted my help to the litter box.
            When I brought my 20 year old, wonderful cat Romeo into the vet, she quickly
            checked his temperature and it was too low. We knew right then I was doing the
            best I could for my boy.

            Planning for our pet's euthanasia can help to make our final gift to our best
            friend a loving memory rather than a time of chaos.

            The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement has moderated on line chat rooms
            for anticipatory bereavement and also for pet loss support.
            I am an assistant host on Friday nights, 8-10 pm eastern for pet loss and on the
            first Thursday of each month in the anticipatory chat.

            www.aplb.org

            The anticipatory chat is restricted to anyone with an ill pet while someone
            anticipating or having a loss is welcome in the pet loss chats.
            The next anticipatory chat is on Thursday, February 17th, 8-10 pm.

            (((( HUGS ))))
            Karen

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2011
              You guys are the best! Thank you. I love the term soul-kitty. That is exactly how I felt w/ Winston.. which is why it's hard to think about another one just yet, but... I know eventually.. I wont be able to resist.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2011
                The timing of this must have been just for us too...it's a question which is heavily on my mind right now. I cannot bear the thought of losing our boy, but he doesn't seem to be getting better. I think we will put a timeframe on it and make a decision that way. He's eating very little, we are assist-feeding him also. He's lethargic most of the day, sleeping lots. He's stopped coming to bed with us a couple of months ago, but he sleeps right in close visual contact and close to us. In the mornings he seems to feel a little better...he's wanted to go "downstairs" to the Bed & Breakfast the last couple of days where he likes to explore. Right now, he's just calmly sitting there, and I am carrying him up and down the stairs, but I'm encouraged that he's interested...he went twice today...a loud meow and insistently sitting by the door till we take him. We are still trying to get him nausea meds and maybe that will make a difference. We started him on Pepcid AC yesterday and I see a little improvement, but only slight. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but he does seem to be tired...so much syringing of meds and food into him (and all over him) and he's never liked to take meds. Thank you for all of your thoughtful advice on this blog about knowing when the time is right...it's greatly appreciated...hugs from both of us...Judi and Max

                To: katemalo@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com; westgold@...

              • elfinmyst@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 10, 2011
                  Hi

                  This is a difficult call. I feel it is when the quality of life is
                  unpleasant or if there is pain or fear which can't be resolved. If a cat can eat,
                  drink, visit the litter tray, purr and sit in the sunshine and the fluid on
                  the lungs is under control I would say it is not time. Every case is
                  different, it's hard for us to make that decision but if a pet is suffering and
                  there is no cure it is time for the last act of kindness.

                  That is my opinion only. CUddle him and make a fuss. Have you tried
                  different diuretics? Also diuretics can affect potassium levels which can cause
                  problems. All this I would take into consideration.

                  Hugs