dosage question

  • maxlevensmom
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hi: We are able to buy Ondansetron here in Mexico, but only injectable...has anyone done this? I would SO prefer not to do it, but I can't find the pills for either it or Zofran (I think they are too expensive for most people here...10 pills is about $150...IF they had them.) Pepcid AC seems to be helping some...do these two things treat the same condition, or should they be used together? thanks for all yor help...Judi and Max
    • C.R.
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9, 2011
        hi Judi,

        We used both pepcid and injectable ondansetron for Snowball at the same time. Pepcid is an acid blocker, inhibits the stomach from producing too much acid, where the ondansetron/zofran affects the area of the brain that has to do with the nausea... so it's stopping the signal to the body to be nauseated. That's the way I understand it.

        The injections are soooo easy! A tiny little injection with an insulin syringe. It's only .35 of 1cc per dose, and the insulin syringes are teeny tiny so they don't really hurt at all. At least they didn't for Snowball.

        When we got Snowball's nausea under control, we were able to stop the pepcid and only give her the ondansetron/zofran, and sometimes we didn't have to give it to her every day.

        and the gang

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maxlevensmom" <judi_john@...> wrote:

        > Hi: We are able to buy Ondansetron here in Mexico, but only injectable...has anyone done this? I would SO prefer not to do it, but I can't find the pills for either it or Zofran (I think they are too expensive for most people here...10 pills is about $150...IF they had them.) Pepcid AC seems to be helping some...do these two things treat the same condition, or should they be used together? thanks for all yor help...Judi and Max

      • Judi Levens
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2011
          Thanks Carol...where do you inject into? Judi and Max

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          From: carolroar@...
          Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000
          Subject: [FH] Re: dosage question

          hi Judi,

          We used both pepcid and injectable ondansetron for Snowball at the same time. Pepcid is an acid blocker, inhibits the stomach from producing too much acid, where the ondansetron/zofran affects the area of the brain that has to do with the nausea... so it's stopping the signal to the body to be nauseated. That's the way I understand it.

          The injections are soooo easy! A tiny little injection with an insulin syringe. It's only .35 of 1cc per dose, and the insulin syringes are teeny tiny so they don't really hurt at all. At least they didn't for Snowball.

          When we got Snowball's nausea under control, we were able to stop the pepcid and only give her the ondansetron/zofran, and sometimes we didn't have to give it to her every day.

          and the gang

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maxlevensmom" <judi_john@...> wrote:

          > Hi: We are able to buy Ondansetron here in Mexico, but only injectable...has anyone done this? I would SO prefer not to do it, but I can't find the pills for either it or Zofran (I think they are too expensive for most people here...10 pills is about $150...IF they had them.) Pepcid AC seems to be helping some...do these two things treat the same condition, or should they be used together? thanks for all yor help...Judi and Max

        • Ana Gutierrez
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
            My vets ask if you know the reason of the nausea.

            They told me that Zofrán can be injected intramuscularly (hope that word
            exists), and that is really easy.
            Touch Max's back leg, in the back part try to feel where the two muscles
            join (in this picture:
            http://www.pictures-of-kittens-and-cats.com/images/feline-anatomy-muscles.jpg
            shown
            as "biceps femoris flexes or bends leg")

            This explanation:
            Intramuscular injections are given in the muscle of the outside of the thigh
            behind the femur, half-way between the knee joint and the hip. Injections
            into vessels, nerves and joints can be avoided by giving the shot in the
            described location. As always, withdraw the plunger and check for blood in
            the syringe before administering the injection.
            from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Cat-Problems-and-Medications
            has the correct words.

            once you feel "the empty space" between those two muscles, that's where you
            should insert the needle. If the needle is too long do not insert it
            completely.

            Once you have introduced the needle, pull the plunger towards you to make
            sure you reach the correct spot (i.e., no blood should come out). Then push
            the plunger and inject the Zofrán.
            Remove the needle slowly and calmly

            For the first time you might want to roll up Max in a towel.

            I hope I made myself clear. If someone can rephrase me to make it easier, or
            if someone has some tips to help Judy, or corrections from my description..
            please tell us!

            Good luck with Max,
            Ana

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
              PS. Insert the needle perpendicularly to the upper back part of his leg...

              I can guide you through skype if you want to
              Ana

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                Carol told me to do it behind the neck where the extra flesh is...maybe either is OK. Max is failing badly...I don't think it's going to be an issue. I have searched my soul and I cannot let him continue unless there is an improvement today/tomorrow...thank you for all your help...I will post more later...Judi and Max

                From: anagtz@...
                Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:17:00 -0600
                Subject: Re: [FH] Re: dosage question
                To: casaobelisco@...
                CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                From: carolroar@...
                Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                  does anyone know what the actual dosage is for ondansetron? We can only get the injectable. John is gone to get some right now, although I'm a little unsure about whether to use it...Max does not vomit, just displays some other signs of nausea, like extreme gagging at the sight of food...can anyone offer any advice. He's very sick, and this is a "last ditch" effort to find something to make him turn around...thank you very much...Judi and Max

                  From: carolroar@...
                  Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                    We were able to get ampules which are 8mg/4ml...can anyone tell us how much we should give? We will give it behind the scruff of the neck...thank you...please help...Judi and Max

                    To: anagtz@...
                    CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                    From: casaobelisco@...
                    Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:54:27 -0800

                    From: anagtz@...
                    Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:17:00 -0600
                    To: casaobelisco@...
                    CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                    PS. Insert the needle perpendicularly to the upper back part of his leg...

                    I can guide you through skype if you want toAna

                    On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Ana Gutierrez <anagtz@...> wrote:

                    My vets ask if you know the reason of the nausea.

                    They told me that Zofr�n can be injected intramuscularly (hope that word exists), and that is really easy.
                    Touch Max's back leg, in the back part try to feel where the two muscles join (in this picture: http://www.pictures-of-kittens-and-cats.com/images/feline-anatomy-muscles.jpg shown as "biceps femoris flexes or bends leg")

                    This explanation:
                    Intramuscular injections are given in the muscle of the outside of the thigh behind the femur, half-way between the knee joint and the hip. Injections into vessels, nerves and joints can be avoided by giving the shot in the described location. As always, withdraw the plunger and check for blood in the syringe before administering the injection.

                    from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Cat-Problems-and-Medications
                    has the correct words.

                    once you feel "the empty space" between those two muscles, that's where you should insert the needle. If the needle is too long do not insert it completely.

                    Once you have introduced the needle, pull the plunger towards you to make sure you reach the correct spot (i.e., no blood should come out). Then push the plunger and inject the Zofr�n.

                    To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                    From: carolroar@...
                    Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                    hi Judi,

                    We used both pepcid and injectable ondansetron for Snowball at the same time. Pepcid is an acid blocker, inhibits the stomach from producing too much acid, where the ondansetron/zofran affects the area of the brain that has to do with the nausea... so it's stopping the signal to the body to be nauseated. That's the way I understand it.

                    The injections are soooo easy! A tiny little injection with an insulin syringe. It's only .35 of 1cc per dose, and the insulin syringes are teeny tiny so they don't really hurt at all. At least they didn't for Snowball.

                    When we got Snowball's nausea under control, we were able to stop the pepcid and only give her the ondansetron/zofran, and sometimes we didn't have to give it to her every day.

                    and the gang

                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maxlevensmom" <judi_john@...> wrote:

                    > Hi: We are able to buy Ondansetron here in Mexico, but only injectable...has anyone done this? I would SO prefer not to do it, but I can't find the pills for either it or Zofran (I think they are too expensive for most people here...10 pills is about $150...IF they had them.) Pepcid AC seems to be helping some...do these two things treat the same condition, or should they be used together? thanks for all yor help...Judi and Max

                  • Kristen G
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                      Hi Judi -- I don't know myself, but I did google it and found something on
                      petplace.com (don't know how reliable that is) that the normal dose for cats is
                      .11mg per pound.  How much does Max weigh?

                      I will continue to look.  I am so sorry you are going through this.

                      Kristen

                      ________________________________

                      To: anagtz@...
                      CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                      From: carolroar@...
                      Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                        Oh, that is every 8-12 hours.

                        ________________________________

                        To: anagtz@...
                        CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                        From: carolroar@...
                        Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                          Thank you all for all your help...we figured out that the dose should be about 1ml and we gave 1/2 of that for a first time to make sure he takes it OK...you guys are fabulous...I wll keep everyone posted on what develops. This has been a day from HELL...we are just so worried, and facing some really tough decisions if he doesn't rally quickly. He does seem a little better this afternoon, but very unsteady on his feet and just not getting enough food even with the assist feeding...we so appreciate all your help...Judi and Max and John

                          Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:20:16 -0800
                          From: apacheadd@...
                          To: casaobelisco@...

                          Found another thing -- a Q and A with a vet who said 1/4 of a 4mg tablet is the right dose for a 10 pound cat, may have to give twice a day. So, consistent with the .11mg per pound.

                          To: anagtz@...
                          CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                          From: casaobelisco@...
                          Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:54:27 -0800

                          From: carolroar@...
                          Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                            Judi, that dose seems kind of high based on what I read -- 2mg?  Does Max weigh
                            20 pounds?

                            I hope you got some other responses, and I don't know what I am talking about
                            anyway!!  Please let us know how he does.

                            Kristen

                            ________________________________

                            To: anagtz@...
                            CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                            From: carolroar@...
                            Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                              no, we gave him .5...thanks...Judi and Max

                              To: casaobelisco@...
                              CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                              To: anagtz@...
                              CC: carolroar@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                              From: carolroar@...
                              Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:49:41 +0000

                              hi Judi,

                              We used both pepcid and injectable ondansetron for Snowball at the same time.
                              Pepcid is an acid blocker, inhibits the stomach from producing too much acid,
                              where the ondansetron/zofran affects the area of the brain that has to do with
                              the nausea... so it's stopping the signal to the body to be nauseated. That's
                              the way I understand it.

                              The injections are soooo easy! A tiny little injection with an insulin syringe.
                              It's only .35 of 1cc per dose, and the insulin syringes are teeny tiny so they
                              don't really hurt at all. At least they didn't for Snowball.

                              When we got Snowball's nausea under control, we were able to stop the pepcid and
                              only give her the ondansetron/zofran, and sometimes we didn't have to give it to
                              her every day.

                              and the gang

                              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maxlevensmom" <judi_john@...> wrote:

                              > Hi: We are able to buy Ondansetron here in Mexico, but only injectable...has
                              >anyone done this? I would SO prefer not to do it, but I can't find the pills for
                              >either it or Zofran (I think they are too expensive for most people here...10
                              >pills is about $150...IF they had them.) Pepcid AC seems to be helping some...do
                              >these two things treat the same condition, or should they be used together?
                              >thanks for all yor help...Judi and Max

                            • Carol
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                                We always gave Snowball her Zofran/Ondansetron injections subQ and not in the muscle. I guess you can do it both ways. Maybe one way is faster absorbed than the other? Not sure.

                                and the gang

                                From: Ana Gutierrez anagtz@...

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                                  The dose we gave Snowball was .35cc...that's about 1/3 of 1cc.

                                  Carol

                                  Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
                                  and the gang

                                  does anyone know what the actual dosage is for ondansetron?

                                • carolroars
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 10, 2011
                                    For everyone,

                                    I wanted to give you the dosage information based on the vial/ampule size. Ondansetron/Zofran comes in a 4mg/2ml vials and a larger ampule that is 8mg/4ml. The dose is the same whether you have the small vial of 2ml or the larger ampule of 4ml. The ampule just has more volume in it, so where the 2ml vials have 4mg of ondansetron/zofran in them, the 4ml ampules do have 8mg of drug in them, because they're double the size not double the strength. So the dose of .35 that our internist had us give Snowball would be the same whether we had a 2ml or 4ml vial/ampule, because the strength of the drug inside is the same.

                                    Carol