Re: Peer-reviewed studies on supplements?

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
      hi everyone,

      If there is anyone who does have any new articles or studies on CoQ10 or any other of the supplements, please send them to me and I will put them in our files.

      thanks,
      Carol
      Moderator, feline-heart

      Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
      and the gang
    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2011
        More on supplements: I forwarded a bunch of articles to the
        cardiologist. He called me back today. He said he's comfortable with
        the articles about taurine, L-carnitine, and CoQ10, though he repeated
        that he does not recommend giving Clipsy any more taurine because her
        blood level is already well above the reference range and too much
        taurine can cause digestive upset. He said it would be fine to give
        her extra carnitine and CoQ10.

        He said the articles about nattokinase were interesting, but he's not
        comfortable with it at this time because he didn't see any articles
        indicating that it had been tested for safety with cats. Does anyone
        know if there are such studies?

        Also, has anyone tried just feeding plain natto (fermented soybeans)
        to cats? I got some last week and just added a spoonful to each cat's
        food to see if they'd like it. All but one of the cats ate it. (The
        one cat who ate the cat food then walked away leaving the spoonful of
        natto untouched was Willow, Clipsy's brother. Another cat came over
        and finished the natto he'd left behind.) Most of the cats ate the cat
        food first, then ate the natto after the cat food was all gone. But
        two of the cats ate the natto first, so apparently they found it
        particularly tasty. And Clipsy was one of those two.

        Unfortunately, natto is expensive to buy. I think I'm going to try
        making it at home.

        Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
        www.jimsinclair.org
        http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com
      • toomany_kittys
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2011
          Hi Jim,
          I use Natto capsules for a cat here with HCM that came in CHF last summer. He tolerates it well with no side effects. I wouldn't give it to a cat that didn't have heart disease though.
          El
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sinclair <jisincla@...> wrote:

          > More on supplements: I forwarded a bunch of articles to the
          > cardiologist. He called me back today. He said he's comfortable with
          > the articles about taurine, L-carnitine, and CoQ10, though he repeated
          > that he does not recommend giving Clipsy any more taurine because her
          > blood level is already well above the reference range and too much
          > taurine can cause digestive upset. He said it would be fine to give
          > her extra carnitine and CoQ10.
          >
          > He said the articles about nattokinase were interesting, but he's not
          > comfortable with it at this time because he didn't see any articles
          > indicating that it had been tested for safety with cats. Does anyone
          > know if there are such studies?
          >
          > Also, has anyone tried just feeding plain natto (fermented soybeans)
          > to cats? I got some last week and just added a spoonful to each cat's
          > food to see if they'd like it. All but one of the cats ate it. (The
          > one cat who ate the cat food then walked away leaving the spoonful of
          > natto untouched was Willow, Clipsy's brother. Another cat came over
          > and finished the natto he'd left behind.) Most of the cats ate the cat
          > food first, then ate the natto after the cat food was all gone. But
          > two of the cats ate the natto first, so apparently they found it
          > particularly tasty. And Clipsy was one of those two.
          >
          > Unfortunately, natto is expensive to buy. I think I'm going to try
          > making it at home.
          >
          > Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
          > www.jimsinclair.org
          > http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2011
            Hi Jim,

            It's not a good idea to feed natto to the cats, because the food, soy, has a detrimental side effect on their hormone balance. Soy supresses thyroid function and also interferes with their male/female hormone balance. Soy in general is not good for cats or dogs because of that. On the other hand, the nattokinase is an enzyme that is derived from soy, but does not carry the same hormonal effects as the whole food does. The other thing about soy is that it's very hard to digest and can contribute to digestive upset and inflamatory bowel problems.

            I don't have the actual info at my fingertips at the moment... am running to get things done before dinnertime, but I will look through my info and find it for you.

            Carol and Angel Snowball
            and the gang

          • water glow
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2011
              Hi Jim,

              My cat has been using Natto for at least 2 years. I opted for this route rather than Plavix. I order the brand Dr. Best through vitacost.com. She tolerates it well and her coat looks really healthy. She also has been taking CoQ10 and Taurine. I ran out of L-Carnitine awhile back and then accidentally ordered Acetyl-Carnitine. I'm thinking it a good idea I restart her on it.

              I haven't been on the list for a couple of years because my cat has been stabilized with her health issues until recently. An cardiograph just revealed she has enlarged atria both sides, with a recent build up of fluid in the lungs. I'm reluctant to put her on more pharmaceuticals, but not sure what else to do. Back to researching....

              Best wishes for you and your feline :)

              ~Amy