Peer-reviewed studies on supplements?

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
      I've just talked to the cardiologist who treated Clipsy at Cornell. I
      asked him about the supplements recommended in this group's Files
      section. He wasn't aware of any of them, but said he would be happy to
      read articles and tell me if he thinks any of the research is
      reputable enough to be worth trying.

      So I went back to the Files section to download articles to send him.
      I found several good published articles about nattokinase. In the file
      on CoQ10, many of the links don't work. There are a few articles from
      Alternative Medicine Review from the 1990s, but I think the 2007
      monograph is the most complete and up to date one. However, I noticed
      that Alternative Medicine Review is a publication of Thorne Research,
      Inc. which sells products. I think it's reasonable to want to see
      peer-reviewed research in publications that do *not* have a commercial
      interest in selling the products being investigated.

      Does anyone have any up-to-date working links or citations to recent,
      commercially independent peer-reviewed studies in publications a
      cardiologist would consider reputable, about CoQ10 or any of the other
      supplements mentioned in the files (taurine, L-carnitine, DMG)?

      I also have a question about the CoQ10 articles I read: They mention
      studies (in humans) of CoQ10 in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy.
      What about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? Is there any evidence it's
      helpful for that?

      Thank you for any pointers to information from sources that might pass
      a skeptical vet's credibility standards.

      Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
      www.jimsinclair.org
      http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com
    • C.R.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2011
        hi everyone,

        If there is anyone who does have any new articles or studies on CoQ10 or any other of the supplements, please send them to me and I will put them in our files.

        thanks,
        Carol
        Moderator, feline-heart

        Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
        and the gang
      • Jim Sinclair
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2011
          More on supplements: I forwarded a bunch of articles to the
          cardiologist. He called me back today. He said he's comfortable with
          the articles about taurine, L-carnitine, and CoQ10, though he repeated
          that he does not recommend giving Clipsy any more taurine because her
          blood level is already well above the reference range and too much
          taurine can cause digestive upset. He said it would be fine to give
          her extra carnitine and CoQ10.

          He said the articles about nattokinase were interesting, but he's not
          comfortable with it at this time because he didn't see any articles
          indicating that it had been tested for safety with cats. Does anyone
          know if there are such studies?

          Also, has anyone tried just feeding plain natto (fermented soybeans)
          to cats? I got some last week and just added a spoonful to each cat's
          food to see if they'd like it. All but one of the cats ate it. (The
          one cat who ate the cat food then walked away leaving the spoonful of
          natto untouched was Willow, Clipsy's brother. Another cat came over
          and finished the natto he'd left behind.) Most of the cats ate the cat
          food first, then ate the natto after the cat food was all gone. But
          two of the cats ate the natto first, so apparently they found it
          particularly tasty. And Clipsy was one of those two.

          Unfortunately, natto is expensive to buy. I think I'm going to try
          making it at home.

          Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
          www.jimsinclair.org
          http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com
        • toomany_kittys
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2011
            Hi Jim,
            I use Natto capsules for a cat here with HCM that came in CHF last summer. He tolerates it well with no side effects. I wouldn't give it to a cat that didn't have heart disease though.
            El
            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sinclair <jisincla@...> wrote:

            > More on supplements: I forwarded a bunch of articles to the
            > cardiologist. He called me back today. He said he's comfortable with
            > the articles about taurine, L-carnitine, and CoQ10, though he repeated
            > that he does not recommend giving Clipsy any more taurine because her
            > blood level is already well above the reference range and too much
            > taurine can cause digestive upset. He said it would be fine to give
            > her extra carnitine and CoQ10.
            >
            > He said the articles about nattokinase were interesting, but he's not
            > comfortable with it at this time because he didn't see any articles
            > indicating that it had been tested for safety with cats. Does anyone
            > know if there are such studies?
            >
            > Also, has anyone tried just feeding plain natto (fermented soybeans)
            > to cats? I got some last week and just added a spoonful to each cat's
            > food to see if they'd like it. All but one of the cats ate it. (The
            > one cat who ate the cat food then walked away leaving the spoonful of
            > natto untouched was Willow, Clipsy's brother. Another cat came over
            > and finished the natto he'd left behind.) Most of the cats ate the cat
            > food first, then ate the natto after the cat food was all gone. But
            > two of the cats ate the natto first, so apparently they found it
            > particularly tasty. And Clipsy was one of those two.
            >
            > Unfortunately, natto is expensive to buy. I think I'm going to try
            > making it at home.
            >
            > Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...
            > www.jimsinclair.org
            > http://moosepuppy.petfinder.com

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2011
              Hi Jim,

              It's not a good idea to feed natto to the cats, because the food, soy, has a detrimental side effect on their hormone balance. Soy supresses thyroid function and also interferes with their male/female hormone balance. Soy in general is not good for cats or dogs because of that. On the other hand, the nattokinase is an enzyme that is derived from soy, but does not carry the same hormonal effects as the whole food does. The other thing about soy is that it's very hard to digest and can contribute to digestive upset and inflamatory bowel problems.

              I don't have the actual info at my fingertips at the moment... am running to get things done before dinnertime, but I will look through my info and find it for you.

              Carol and Angel Snowball
              and the gang

            • water glow
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15, 2011
                Hi Jim,

                My cat has been using Natto for at least 2 years. I opted for this route rather than Plavix. I order the brand Dr. Best through vitacost.com. She tolerates it well and her coat looks really healthy. She also has been taking CoQ10 and Taurine. I ran out of L-Carnitine awhile back and then accidentally ordered Acetyl-Carnitine. I'm thinking it a good idea I restart her on it.

                I haven't been on the list for a couple of years because my cat has been stabilized with her health issues until recently. An cardiograph just revealed she has enlarged atria both sides, with a recent build up of fluid in the lungs. I'm reluctant to put her on more pharmaceuticals, but not sure what else to do. Back to researching....

                Best wishes for you and your feline :)

                ~Amy