Re: [feline-heart] Hi' I'm new. Need some advice pls.

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2001
      He's seen by a cardiologist once every six months for the ultrasound. I will be taking him every three months now.

      Cindy
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2001
        Hi Jan,

        I took Kitty to see a cardiologist when he started coughing for no reason. His regular vet thought it was a hairball problem but I knew it something more serious. I've had Kitty all these years, why would he cough now and not before if it really was a hairball? Just didn't make sense.

        I took him to a see a Cardiologist and she said that Kitty was developing a heart problem. She couldn't tell what type because it was still too early. I went for a second opinion to the University of Montreal and it was confirmed that it was the start of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.

        To make a long story short, they placed him on Cardizem 30mg and told me to come back in six months. Now they tell me that his condition has worsened.

        I hope the new medication will kick in. The poor little guy has been through a lot. Just last month I almost lost him to Pancreatitis and secondary Hepatic Lipidosis. They didn't know if he would survive the surgery because of his heart but he's a little fighter and he pulled an amazing recovery.

        It kills me too when I see these precious babies suffering. It's heartbreaking.

        Take care,

        Cindy

        Have you been able to take Kitty to a cardiologist? I took mine to one at a
        university and it was much cheaper than I imagined (cheaper than the regular
        vet). Unfortunately, in my baby's case, it was much, much too late and my
        precious baby died from heart problems caused by hyperthyroid, but maybe
        your baby has a chance still. It just kills me when I see these cases. I'm
        sending prayers for Kitty and for you.
        Jan

        http://joekopecky.homestead.com
        http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html
        > My 9 year old male cat Kitty was diagnosed six months ago with
        > Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. He was put on 30 mg Cardizem. Since
        > starting the medication, he's stopped wheezing and coughing.
        > Today, he went for a follow-up and it seems his condition is worse
        > than ever. The heart muscle has doubled in size and the chamber to
        > the heart is closing up. I was stunned!
        > The vet advised me to continue with the Cardizem and he added a
        > second medication called Fortekor, in a 5mg dose.
        >
        > Is anyone else giving cardizem and Fortekor together?
        > *Shouldn't it be one or the other? Does he need to take two different
        > medications? This really worries me even though the vet said it would
        > be ok.
        > Can these two medications be given at the same time?
        >
        > I would greatly appreciate any advice you can provide.
        > Thank you, and I feel much better just knowing that I'm part of this
        > group.
        >
        > Cindy

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor