Re: [FH] Cat with CRF, heart disease just diagnosed

  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2011
      Hi Ellen.

      My heart goes out to you and Ashton. It can be extremely difficult to manage a cat with both CRF and heart disease. So many times, what we do to help the kidneys has an adverse effect on the heart and vice versa. It's kind of like walking a tight-rope. Tipping too much one way or another can have bad consequences.

      Epogen is known to cause systemic hypertension (in other words, high blood pressure), which certainly could have an effect on the heart. However, whether that's the case with Ashton or not is difficult to say for sure. It's just as likely (probably even moreso) that Ashton's heart is diseased. You mentioned HCM which is a common cause of heart failure. Has Ashton's blood pressure been measured recently? If it's high, you may want to ask your vet about amlodipine or something similar to lower it. This drug needs to be used cautiously in cats in heart failure also and some vets like to use it together with enalapril (which Ashton already takes, I believe.)

      Another thing that you can do at home is measure his sleeping respiratory rate. Just count the number of breaths Ashton takes in 60 seconds when he is sleeping. If the value starts to trend upward, let your vet know immediately. In normal cats, less than 30 breaths per minute is typical. With heart failure and fluid building up in the lungs, the value will go up usually.

      Good luck to you and Ashton. I know how these situation are for all involved.

      Lorie Huston, DVM
      www.pet-health-care-gazette.com