Re: [FH] intro: Terry - Had echo, mystery patient (long)

  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2011
      It sounds like you have your hands full with Terry. I'm sorry to hear about his health issues.

      In answer to your question about the echo results, it depends on the cardiologist. Many only give a written summary. Some will also provide still photos of the salient parts of the echocardiogram. I've not encountered any cardiologists who put the echo on a CD but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone out there who does.

      It can be a very difficult decision whether to give steroids in these situations or not but the truth is sometimes in cases of feline asthma, the steroids are necessary to save the cat's life. Some vets don't like using the Depo-Medrol and repository types of steroids because of their long-acting nature. You can't stop giving the medication and see if the symptoms go away as you can with prednisolone. But again, sometimes, they're a calculated risk, especially if the cat is difficult to medicate or becomes excited/stressed when medicated.

      The plan you outlined below seems reasonable to me given Terry's situation. I wish you success in his treatment. I'm sorry either one of you has to go through this.

      Lorie Huston, DVM