Re: [FH] things to feed to keep weight on?

  • Mmayer11
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2011
      Frankly I think that company puts something in Fancy Feast that makes cats crave it. My Thyroid /heart cat likes Wellness 99% Chicken, I add slippery elm gel to at least one--two of those meals per day.

      Marianna

    • furbabymama
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2011
        Ash doesn't like Fancy Feast for some reason. I've tried several flavors and he hasn't eaten any of it. We've had problems with his weight dropping after events like dental cleaning. He lost 2.5 pounds after the last one. It took a lot of experimenting and some yo-yoing with his weight to get him steady. He wouldn't even eat 9 Lives tuna flavor -- or even people tuna! He's now eating Friskies wet, and only a few flavors of that, but it takes 1 1/2 cans a day to keep him steady. Nothing in his work-ups give a reason for the weight problem, either.

        Shonna
      • Tina Strack
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2011
          This is a really great site for info on feeding cats. Its from a renal group
          but I think it applies to heart kitties too.

          http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm

          There is detail on CRF particularly but a great section on persuading your
          cat to eat (adding some tuna juice - low sodium of course, heating food,
          pureeing it, which foods are high calorie, adding baby food to encourage
          more eating (and which baby foods are better) etc).

          Good luck!

          Tina.

          --
          �Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find
          harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.� -- Einstein

        • Cheryl
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2011
            I had good luck with Soulistic (available at PetCo) canned and especially
            the packet varieties. They are also "good for you" with fewer additives and
            no grains.

            Cheryl & angel Vizzy

            _____

            Ash doesn't like Fancy Feast for some reason. I've tried several flavors
            and he hasn't eaten any of it. We've had problems with his weight dropping
            after events like dental cleaning. He lost 2.5 pounds after the last one.
            It took a lot of experimenting and some yo-yoing with his weight to get him
            steady. He wouldn't even eat 9 Lives tuna flavor -- or even people tuna!
            He's now eating Friskies wet, and only a few flavors of that, but it takes 1
            1/2 cans a day to keep him steady. Nothing in his work-ups give a reason
            for the weight problem, either.

            Shonna

            _____

            No virus found in this message.

          • Westgold
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 27, 2011
              There is also a yahoogroup for assisted-feeding -- those people there will
              have tried everything
              This is a really great site for info on feeding cats. Its from a renal group
              but I think it applies to heart kitties too.

              http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm

              There is detail on CRF particularly but a great section on persuading your
              cat to eat (adding some tuna juice - low sodium of course, heating food,
              pureeing it, which foods are high calorie, adding baby food to encourage
              more eating (and which baby foods are better) etc).

              Good luck!

              Tina.

              On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:06 PM, etakolam <katemalo@...> wrote:

              > My 15 yo hyperthyroid kitty with HCM responds well to the lasix he is on,
              > but I want to make sure he keeps his weight up. He is eating less than
              > usual, which I know eventually will take a toll on his organs. In the past
              > year since diagnosis I have learned what his favorite foods are (Fancy
              > Feast
              > beef with juices and K/D kidney). Both of these I have discovered through
              > the VET who happened to mention that most cats gobble them up. Had she not
              > told me that, I would never have tried them (kitty never really liked wet
              > food before). So I am wondering what life saving yummy food all you
              > experienced cat owners have used before that were godsends to you. Any
              > suggestions woudl be great. I know that I want the furball to have a great
              > life, whatever is left, so I am not so concerned with the health aspects
              > of
              > the food, but rather the quantity the he ingests. Let him eat cake is my
              > motto, as long as he eats!
              >
              > (FYI- I've tried baby food, Friskies wet/dry, Whiskas wet/dry, Iams
              > wet/dry, and most dried food......and it still comes up to fancy feast)

              --
              “Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find
              harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” -- Einstein

            • Ana Gutierrez
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 27, 2011
                Sorry for the delay....

                These are the recipes I use for the stray cats I rescue from the streets.
                They are usually malnourished so this is what I feed them for them to gain
                weight.
                I don't know if they are suitable for your furry one, I would ask a vet....
                but I'm sending you the recipes cos they might be helpful as a guideline or
                as a start point.

                Best,
                Ana

                Recipes
                Raw Cat Food Diet Recipe Made WITH Real Bones
                2 kg [4.4 pounds] raw muscle meat with bones (chicken thighs and
                drumsticks or, better, a whole carcass of rabbit or chicken amounting
                to 2 kg; if you don't use a whole carcass, opt for dark meat like
                thighs and drumsticks from chicken or turkey)
                400 grams [14 oz] raw heart (best not to use use beef heart; if no
                heart is available, substitute with 4000 mg Taurine)
                200 grams [7 oz] raw liver (don't use beef liver; if you can't find
                appropriate liver, you can substitute 40,000 IU of Vitamin A and 1600
                IU of Vitamin D--but try to use real liver rather than substitutes)
                NOTE: If you cannot find the heart or liver and decide to substitute
                with the Taurine/Vitamin A and D, then remember to REPLACE the missing
                amount of organ meat with the equivalent amount of muscle meat. In
                other words, if you cannot find heart, you add another 400 grams of
                the meat/bones. If you can't find the liver, add another 200 grams of
                meat/bone.
                16 oz [2 cups] water
                4 raw egg yolks (use eggs from free-range, antibiotic-free chickens if you
                can)
                4 capsules raw glandular supplement, such as, for example, multigland
                supplement by Immoplex
                4000 mg salmon oil (see note at bottom of recipe*)
                800 IU Vitamin E ("dry E" works well)
                200 mg Vitamin B complex
                1.5 tsp. Lite salt (with iodine)
                (optional: 4 tsp. psyllium husk powder (8 tsp. if using whole psyllium
                husks; see note at bottom of recipe**)
                NOTE: If you will not be using the food immediately and freezing for
                more than a week or two, toss in 4000 mg of additional Taurine to make
                up for what may get lost during storage. It is also not a bad idea to
                sprinkle extra Taurine from a capsule on the food as you're serving it
                two or three times a week, just to be certain your cat is getting
                plenty of this critical amino acid.
                1. Remove about half of the skin from the muscle meat. Chunk up (i.e.,
                cut) as much of the muscle meat (minus most of the skin if using
                chicken or turkey, but leave skin on if using rabbit) as you can stand
                into bite-sized (nickel-sized, approximately) pieces. Save the chunked
                meat for later. Do not grind it.
                2. Grind the raw liver, any skin, raw meaty bones, and raw heart. Once
                ground, stir this meat/bone mixture well and return to refrigerator.
                3. Fill a bowl with 2 cups of water and whisk everything (non-meat)
                except the psyllium. If you had to replace liver with Vitamin A/D or
                replace heart with Taurine, add the substitutes now. Add psyllium at
                the end -- if you're using it -- and mix well. Finally, put the three
                mixtures together--the "supplement slurry" that you have just mixed,
                the ground up meat/bone/organs, and the chunks of meat that you cut up
                by hand. Portion into containers and freeze.
                Don't overfill the containers. The food expands when frozen and you
                don't want lids popping off. Thaw as you go. The food shouldn't be
                left thawed in the refrigerator more than 48 hours before serving. To
                serve, portion into a 'zipper baggie' and warm under hot water in the
                sink. NEVER microwave the food. Cats like their food at something
                approximating "mouse body temperature."
                *Every two or three days, I suggest sprinkling a few drops of fresh
                salmon oil from a newly-opened capsule on to the cats' food. The
                Essential Fatty Acids in salmon oil are extremely fragile, and since
                we do not know exactly how much gets lost during freezing, I think
                it's wise to use a bit of fresh salmon oil directly on the food a few
                times a week. Most cats love the flavor.
                **Not all cats require additional fiber (psyllium) in their diet. If
                your cat has been eating low-quality commercial food for several
                years, especially dry food, she may have lost bowel elasticity and may
                benefit from the extra fiber. As a general rule, I recommend using
                psyllium when an adult cat first gets raw food. I rarely add much
                psyllium to my adult cats' diet. Bear in mind that some cats seem to
                get constipated without additional fiber, whereas other cats seem to
                get constipated if they get too much fiber. Each cat is unique, and
                you'll have to judge what works best for your cat.
                Raw Cat Food Diet Recipe Made WITHOUT Real Bones (not recommended,
                except in a pinch)
                VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: The recipe that follows is inferior to the recipe
                above. Why? Because it does not contain real bone and relies on an
                isolated calcium supplement. Cats should eat REAL bone. But if you do
                not yet have a grinder, this recipe will suffice for short-term use.
                It also has some gelatin in it to make up for missing cartilage.
                Please do not use this recipe indefinitely.
                1400 grams [3 pounds] raw muscle meat (i.e., meat from chicken thighs
                and drumsticks or turkey or rabbit)
                400 grams [14 oz] raw heart (if no heart is available, substitute with
                4000 mg Taurine)
                200 grams [7 oz] raw liver (if you can't find appropriate liver, you
                can substitute 40,000 IU of Vitamin A and 1600 IU of Vitamin D--but
                try to use real liver instead of substitutes)
                NOTE: If you cannot find the heart or liver and decide to substitute
                with the Taurine/Vitamin A and D, then remember to REPLACE the missing
                amount of organ meat with the equivalent amount of muscle meat. In
                other words, if you cannot find heart, you add another 400 grams of
                the meat/bones. If you can't find the liver, add another 200 grams of
                meat/bone.
                16 oz [2 cups] water
                4 tablespoons bonemeal (the kind intended for human consumption--not
                the type used for gardening)
                2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
[...]
                cut) much of the muscle meat (minus most of the skin if using chicken
                or turkey, but leave skin on if using rabbit) into bite-sized
                (nickel-sized, approximately) pieces. Save the chunked meat for later
                - do not grind it.
                2. Grind the raw liver, remaining meat and the raw heart. Once ground,
                stir this mixture well and return to refrigerator. Once ground, stir
                this mixture very well and refrigerate.
                3. Fill a bowl with 2 cups of water and whisk everything (non-meat)
                except the psyllium and gelatin. If you had to replace liver with
                Vitamin A and D or heart with Taurine, add those substitutes now. Add
                psyllium (if you're using that) and gelatin at the end and stir well.
                (If you add the psyllium and gelatin too soon it clumps up.) Finally,
                put the three mixtures together -the "supplement slurry" that you have
                just mixed, the ground-up meat, and the chunks of meat you cut by
                hand. Portion into containers and freeze.
                Don't overfill the containers. Thaw only what you can use within 48
                hours. Warm the food in a plastic bag under hot water to take off the
                chill, and serve.
                *Every two or three days, I suggest sprinkling a few drops of fresh
                salmon oil from a newly-opened capsule on to the cats' food. The
                Essential Fatty Acids in salmon oil are extremely fragile, and since
                we donít know exactly how much gets lost during freezing, I think it's
                wise to use a bit of fresh salmon oil directly on the food a few times
                a week. Most cats love the flavor.
                **Not all cats require additional fiber (psyllium) in their diet. If
                your cat has been eating low-quality commercial food for several
                years, especially dry food, she may have lost bowel elasticity and may
                benefit from the extra fiber. As a general rule, I recommend using
                psyllium when an adult cat first gets raw food. I rarely add much
                psyllium to my adult cats' diet. Bear in mind that some cats seem to
                get constipated without additional fiber, whereas other cats seem to
                get constipated if they get too much fiber. Each cat is unique, and
                you'll have to judge what works best for your cat.

              • Cathy Mack
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 27, 2011
                  If I may add,

                  You can also use commercially prepared raw foods to pack the pounds on if you
                  don't have time for the recipies. I'm using smaller family owned manufacturers
                  that have IMO better control over QC methods: Felines Pride, RadCat and Aunt
                  Jeni. I feed 10 ozs. a day per cat and if I feed more, well, the pounds start
                  to pack on.

                  HTH,
                  Cathy

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 28, 2011
                    I second the feline assisted feeding yahoo group. When I had a kitty with liver disease, that group was a lifesaver. They have great resources in their files section about encouraging cats to eat and also caloric content of a huge number of commercial pet foods.

                    My heart kitty Cleo is also low weight, and nothing in her labs shows any indication for why she's low weight. the cardio hoped that getting her arrhythmia normalized would help her put on some weight because she'd have a more normal metabolism. that didn't happen.

                    I live near a holistic pet store and we asked them for advice. They had a lot, of course. One of the things they recommended was for us to use a pre-biotic with Cleo's food, and actually they said it was fine to use with all the cats.

                    So, we picked up one called "pro-zyme" and if you google it you can read the reviews and their website even offers a free sample (you pay shipping). I have only been using it for about a week so I can't report on success yet, but I can say she doesn't seem to even notice it in the food and she is super picky. The idea is that it will help the animals to get more nutrition out of the food, particularly commercial pet food.

                    Low weight seems to be a challenge that no one has one right answer for, except to keep trying and when you find something that works, stick with it as long as it's working.

                    Laurel and Cleo

                    > There is also a yahoogroup for assisted-feeding -- those people there will
                    > have tried everything

                  • Mmayer11
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 28, 2011
                      Prozyme is certainly one choice. Years ago I relied on it for my dogs & cats. But more up to date research recommends animal based digestive enzyme instead of plant based, which is what Prozyme is. The company...use to be privately own...but a few years ago it was been purchased by a larger conglomerate. That always worries me.

                      Marianna