Re: [FH] Help with old cat and bloodwork

  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2011
      Hi Dianne.

      Of course, you'll want to talk all of this over with your own veterinarian. But as far as baseline bloodwork, I'd start out with a complete blood cell count and blood chemistry profile (including electrolytes). Probably a T4 to check on the thyroid wouldn't be a bad idea also. I'm not sure what the cost would be as it differs so much from one location to another. But these tests are the basis of a pretty basic blood screen and will give you kidney values (BUN, creatinine), blood glucose, liver enzymes and so forth. And of course, a physical exam by your vet is in order too. That's almost as important as the blood work :-)

      Because of the diabetes, your vet may want to do other testing as well. Some vets do fructosamine levels to get an idea of the diabetes control (which is helpful but not optimum by itself). Others like to do blood glucose curves, which require sequential glucose measurements over a 12-24 hour period.

      Good luck.

      Lorie Huston, DVM