HCM research/Sphynx

  • Patti Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
      From Washington State University regarding HCM research in Sphynx.

      The following is from Dr.Kate Meurs:

      We have had a fabulous response to our request for samples and they have really
      been coming in! The company that makes the feline array is running behind
      schedule so we still have time to collect both affected and unaffected samples
      and would still really like them! We will start looking at some new genes next
      week so we can keep progressing while we wait for the array.

      Also , we really need some heart tissue samples (just a few) from affected and
      unaffected cats. If someone is unfortunate enough to be putting their HCM
      affected cat or older (at least 8 years of age) to sleep it would be extremely
      helpful if we could ask the veterinarian to save a small section of the heart
      for us? It does have to be specially preserved in a solution from us, but we
      could fedex the solution for next day arrival to your veterinarian. At this
      point we have ruled out many genes but have not found anything and being able to
      exam the tissue may be very helpful. We don't need very many so if even 3-4
      people can help us it may be enough!

      Thank you!
      Kate