Re: [FH] Please help me... in a panic

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2011
      I think it all depends on each individual kitty. My angel Sweetie took oral prednisone and it wasn't good for her. So I think you definitely should talk to your vet about it all in the morning and get their input.

      Carol and Angel Snowball
      and the gang

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Suzianne Painter-Thorne <npumie@...> wrote:

      > Is it oral or injectable prednisone? My heart kitty Boo has HCM and she also has other issues that have required that she take low doses of oral prednisone. She was FINE both times. Her vet said that injectable is to be avoided in heart kitties, but oral is okay to use.
    • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2011
        I'm sure it does depend on the cat and the cat's condition, which the cat's
        vet is probably in the best position to assess.

        I'm not suggesting anyone trust their vet's advice as holy writ, it's always
        good to be informed and to ask questions. At the same time, because one
        medication adversely affected another person's cat does not mean it will so
        affect every cat or any other particular cat.

        Sue & Boo

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
          Hi

          I agree that you must speak to your vet about this. The most important
          thing is the ultrasound. If Mars has any sign of fluid on the lungs the
          steroids could push him into heart failure. I understand your dilemma. Mars has
          complicated problems, as did my Tess.

          She had advanced HCM, kidney disease and crippling arthritis. She took
          prednisolone and painkillers after all other options were tried. She died of
          kidney failure but her last few months were happy and pain free. Quality of
          life is the most important thing. And fluid on the lungs is not quality,
          it's unpleasant and frightening. That has to be dealt with first. A vet would
          be able to tell you if Mars has fluid on the lungs by stethoscope and the
          ultrasound will certainly give a diagnosis.

          I would look into alternative options for IBD, such as allergy testing and
          diet changes. It may be Mars is intolerant to certain foods. Avoid milk.
          Has he had a stool test to rule out a parasitic infection? Trixis' bowel
          problems were found to be tritrichomonas.

          You must be in a whirl right now, with all this advice and suggestions.
          Read through them carefully when you're relaxed and write down a list of
          questions for the cardiologist and vet. Then work together for the best
          combination to give Mars a comfortable and happy life.

          Lyn:)

        • Judi Levens
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
            In my experience the regular vet didn't know that steroids are bad for heart kitties...I found out here and the cardiologist confirmed it, so be careful...do some research and present it to the doctor. There is a case study here of cats who went into CHF after being administered steroids...I don't know how to find it though. This is what happened to Max also, and thank goodness he recovered, but it was a real touch and go...good luck.
            Judi and Max

            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
            From: npumie@...
            Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:19:15 -0500
            Subject: Re: [FH] Please help me... in a panic

            I'm sure it does depend on the cat and the cat's condition, which the cat's
            vet is probably in the best position to assess.

            I'm not suggesting anyone trust their vet's advice as holy writ, it's always
            good to be informed and to ask questions. At the same time, because one
            medication adversely affected another person's cat does not mean it will so
            affect every cat or any other particular cat.

            Sue & Boo

            On 1/2/11 9:04 PM, "C.R." <carolroar@...> wrote:

            > I think it all depends on each individual kitty. My angel Sweetie took oral
            > prednisone and it wasn't good for her. So I think you definitely should talk
            > to your vet about it all in the morning and get their input.
            >
            > Carol and Angel Snowball
            > and the gang

          • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
              And my regular vet does know about steroids and heart kitties. Again, not
              everyone¹s experience is the same and neither is every cat¹s condition. My
              point is there¹s no reason to panic someone.

              Sue & Boo

              On 1/3/11 8:22 AM, "Judi Levens" <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

              > In my experience the regular vet didn't know that steroids are bad for heart
              > kitties...I found out here and the cardiologist confirmed it, so be
              > careful...do some research and present it to the doctor. There is a case
              > study here of cats who went into CHF after being administered steroids...I
              > don't know how to find it though. This is what happened to Max also, and
              > thank goodness he recovered, but it was a real touch and go...good luck.
              > Judi and Max

            • Judi Levens
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                I'm not trying to panic anyone, but just reaffirming what several other people have said...it's important information to pass on, and I think that's what we're here for? I wish I had known, although for me I didn't know Max had heart disease at the time he was administered steroids, so it wouldn't have helped. Judi and Max

                To: casaobelisco@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                From: npumie@...
                Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:11:48 -0500

                And my regular vet does know about steroids and heart kitties. Again, not
                everyone�s experience is the same and neither is every cat�s condition. My
                point is there�s no reason to panic someone.

                Sue & Boo

                On 1/3/11 8:22 AM, "Judi Levens" <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

                > In my experience the regular vet didn't know that steroids are bad for heart
                > kitties...I found out here and the cardiologist confirmed it, so be
                > careful...do some research and present it to the doctor. There is a case
                > study here of cats who went into CHF after being administered steroids...I
                > don't know how to find it though. This is what happened to Max also, and
                > thank goodness he recovered, but it was a real touch and go...good luck.
                > Judi and Max

              • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                  I didn¹t say you were trying to panic anyone. But that doesn¹t change that
                  she was in fact panicked. I¹ve received the same emails telling me the
                  perils of steroids. I appreciate the information, but never the tone of
                  ³YOU¹RE GOING TO KILL YOUR CAT!² that all too often comes with it. Even
                  though I know it is coming from someone who just wants to share and help, it
                  does actually panic people to read things like that. And panic isn¹t going
                  to help anyone.

                  While I appreciate the support and information on this list, like all such
                  lists people have a tendency to project all their experiences to every other
                  cat even though they¹re not vets and haven¹t examined the cat. According to
                  my cat¹s regular vet and her cardiologist, there is a difference between
                  injectable and oral steroids when it comes to heart cats, but that
                  distinction is always left out of the alarm bells. So I offered my
                  experience that my cat was fine after taking steroids twice as a counter
                  story to those who¹d told her her cat would die. My experience doesn¹t prove
                  her cat will be okay, but it does suggest that steroids aren¹t the death
                  sentence they are all too often portrayed to be.

                  Sue & Boo

                  On 1/3/11 9:17 AM, "Judi Levens" <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

                  > I'm not trying to panic anyone, but just reaffirming what several other people
                  > have said...it's important information to pass on, and I think that's what
                  > we're here for? I wish I had known, although for me I didn't know Max had
                  > heart disease at the time he was administered steroids, so it wouldn't have
                  > helped. Judi and Max

                • Melissa Legan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                    I think Judi was just trying to relay the importantance of being aware of the effects. My Winston was adminstired ORAL steriods and DID go into CHF. I think the severity of the heart disease also plays a role. Winston has end stage heart disease....very severe HCM with mitral value displysia and conduction distrubance pattern (AV ans sinus). So, i think that the steriods proved to be too much, and caused the CHF. There is a WONDERFUL copy of the study performed on the internet- just google it. EVEN cats without heart diease went into idopathic heart failure after the ADMINISTRATION of steriods.

                    Please keep in mind, every cat is different. Steriods are in fact very dangerous for heart kitties. Just because one cat didnt go into CHF after steriods does not put to rest the fact that steriods in heart kitties have been studied extensively (oral and injectable).

                    If you have questions about steriods and CHF ask your vet, I dont think any of us should make judgment on the reaction that any of our kitties should have or could have. We ARENT vets (to my knowledge). The best advice is- call your vet, tell him you have concerns and leave it at that.

                    I didn¹t say you were trying to panic anyone. But that doesn¹t change that
                    she was in fact panicked. I¹ve received the same emails telling me the
                    perils of steroids. I appreciate the information, but never the tone of
                    ³YOU¹RE GOING TO KILL YOUR CAT!² that all too often comes with it. Even
                    though I know it is coming from someone who just wants to share and help, it
                    does actually panic people to read things like that. And panic isn¹t going
                    to help anyone.

                    While I appreciate the support and information on this list, like all such
                    lists people have a tendency to project all their experiences to every other
                    cat even though they¹re not vets and haven¹t examined the cat. According to
                    my cat¹s regular vet and her cardiologist, there is a difference between
                    injectable and oral steroids when it comes to heart cats, but that
                    distinction is always left out of the alarm bells. So I offered my
                    experience that my cat was fine after taking steroids twice as a counter
                    story to those who¹d told her her cat would die. My experience doesn¹t prove
                    her cat will be okay, but it does suggest that steroids aren¹t the death
                    sentence they are all too often portrayed to be.

                    Sue & Boo

                    On 1/3/11 9:17 AM, "Judi Levens" <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

                    > I'm not trying to panic anyone, but just reaffirming what several other people
                    > have said...it's important information to pass on, and I think that's what
                    > we're here for? I wish I had known, although for me I didn't know Max had
                    > heart disease at the time he was administered steroids, so it wouldn't have
                    > helped. Judi and Max

                  • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                      I GET that it what she is doing. And since Lora had written that she was in
                      a panic over it, I'm pretty sure she already knew the importance of being
                      aware.

                      I'm not sure what you're really disagreeing with. I said my experience did
                      not prove they were not a problem for her cat. And I also said she should
                      speak to her vet. That every cat is different. That we are not vets. I
                      didn't use all caps for it, but I said the same thing.

                      If you're talking about this study:
                      http://jarvm.com/articles/Vol2Iss3/TOBIASJARVMVol2No304.pdf, that report
                      concludes that "CHF should be listed as a potential adverse effect of
                      corticosteroid administration in cats." It doesn't say always, it says
                      potential.

                      And, the thing is, that study's sample started with only cats who had been
                      diagnosed with CHF. It did not look at all the cats given steroids to
                      determine the risk of CHF. Instead, it looked only at cats who had already
                      developed CHF and considered how many had done so within a certain time of
                      getting steroids. It excluded cats who'd been on steroids for months or
                      years prior to CHF. And--most important--it did not look at the number of
                      cats who are on steroids who did or did not go into CHF, which would be an
                      entirely different study and would actually give more answers about the
                      risks of steroids themselves.

                      So yes, speak to your vet about it. But don't get into a panic and don't
                      cause someone else to panic by telling them they're killing their cat by
                      giving steroids.

                      Sue & Boo

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                        OK, I think this is enough.

                        People are here to share their expereinces. Steriods are a very serious issue and I think Judi and I feel this way because we almost lost our kitties because of it. Losing my Winston will be like losing a child.

                        Sorry that we feel strongly about a very serious situation. No one wanted to panic anyone.

                        Nothing in the realm of heart disease should be taken lightly, and Judi and I probably feel this way given what our kitties have been through. My Winston is one of the most complicated and serious cases ever seen by my cardio.

                        Melissa

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                          Please don't suggest I'm saying anyone should take anything to do with heart
                          disease or their cats lightly. I have not done this or come close to
                          suggesting it. I have not said heart disease is not a serious situation. I
                          have shared my experience, which you acknowledge people are here to do. As a
                          member of this list, I assume I am allowed to do so as well.

                          And I feel strongly about this too. I have been advised by people on this
                          list to ignore a health problem my cat was having--one that was putting her
                          life at risk--because of their fear of steroids because of their experience
                          with their cats.

                          Everyone on this list feels strongly about their cats and my assumption is
                          that for all of us the loss of our cat is the loss of a beloved child. I
                          also assume everyone is trying to do the best she or he can for their cat.
                          That goes for those I agree and disagree with.

                          Sue & Boo

                          On 1/3/11 10:42 AM, "Melissa Legan" <smittyhj82@...> wrote:

                          > OK, I think this is enough.
                          >
                          > People are here to share their expereinces. Steriods are a very serious issue
                          > and I think Judi and I feel this way because we almost lost our kitties
                          > because of it. Losing my Winston will be like losing a child.
                          >
                          > Sorry that we feel strongly about a very serious situation. No one wanted to
                          > panic anyone.
                          >
                          > Nothing in the realm of heart disease should be taken lightly, and Judi and I
                          > probably feel this way given what our kitties have been through. My Winston is
                          > one of the most complicated and serious cases ever seen by my cardio.
                        • Mmayer11
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                            Please everyone let's take Sue's words as the end of this subject. We are back going in circles. Let's try starting the New Year giving this topic a rest. Ir's unhelpful to drag this on.

                            Sue wrote:for all of us the loss of our cat is the loss of a beloved child. I
                            also assume everyone is trying to do the best she or he can for their cat.
                            That goes for those I agree and disagree with.

                            Marianna

                          • Patti Thomas
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                              From Washington State University regarding HCM research in Sphynx.

                              The following is from Dr.Kate Meurs:

                              We have had a fabulous response to our request for samples and they have really
                              been coming in! The company that makes the feline array is running behind
                              schedule so we still have time to collect both affected and unaffected samples
                              and would still really like them! We will start looking at some new genes next
                              week so we can keep progressing while we wait for the array.

                              Also , we really need some heart tissue samples (just a few) from affected and
                              unaffected cats. If someone is unfortunate enough to be putting their HCM
                              affected cat or older (at least 8 years of age) to sleep it would be extremely
                              helpful if we could ask the veterinarian to save a small section of the heart
                              for us? It does have to be specially preserved in a solution from us, but we
                              could fedex the solution for next day arrival to your veterinarian. At this
                              point we have ruled out many genes but have not found anything and being able to
                              exam the tissue may be very helpful. We don't need very many so if even 3-4
                              people can help us it may be enough!

                              Thank you!
                              Kate