Please help me... in a panic

  • HON3Ycomb
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2011
      I have received two responses now that have me in a panic about Mars taking Prednisone & Lasix... Will the Prednisone really kill him????

      I think I read of one other person on the IBD site that uses those two drugs on their kitty. I think their kitty has lived an additional 2 years?? But I can't be sure of that. I'll have to review the posts.

      Please someone reply to me. I'm in a panic. Mars is taking 10mg of Pred per day along with the Lasix... His IBD is quite bad at this point, so maybe the doctor is addressing that as being the most important thing right now.

      So worried now!
      Please someone help me-
      Lora
    • C.R.
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2011
        hi Lora,

        I understand the panic. Really, I do. But steroids are very dangerous for heart kitties, especially if they're in congestive heart failure. I don't know if Mars has fluid in his lungs or chest. But if he does, steroids are a big no-no. I see if the vet wants to treat the IBD, if it's really bad, but at the expense of his heart? That part I don't understand. Without the heart working properly, then the IBD is really not that important. Heart kitties have to get the heart under control before anything else. If you're really worried, I'd call an emergency vet if you have one, and ask their opinion about it. But from my own experience and what I've heard from others with heart kitties, prednisone and other steroids are really not something you want to give any kitty with fluid in their lungs/chest. It makes it worse.

        I really disagree with your vet on this one, that treating the IBD is the most important thing right now. The most important thing is go get his heart stable first and then treat anything else secondarily.

        The steroids are meant to reduce the inflamation in the gut. You may be able to do that with diet. A very bland, no grains diet can be helpful with IBD. We ended up putting our Boo who had very, very bad IBD last year, on a single protein source diet. His was beef. I found that the By Nature Organics beef canned food did well for him. Any other meat, chicken or turkey, made his IBD worse. He just couldn't tolerate them for some reason.

        I'm sorry if I caused you to feel all in a panic. I didn't mean to. If it was me, and I had to choose between this moment treating their heart or the IBD, I'd treat the heart first and not give the steroids. I'd call your regular vet first thing in the morning if you can't get ahold of anyone tonight, and talk to them about this.

        Hang in there... sorry to raise all the red flags!

        hugs,
        Carol and Angel Snowball
        and the gang

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "HON3Ycomb" <hon3ycomb@...> wrote:

        > I have received two responses now that have me in a panic about Mars taking Prednisone & Lasix... Will the Prednisone really kill him????
        >
        > I think I read of one other person on the IBD site that uses those two drugs on their kitty. I think their kitty has lived an additional 2 years?? But I can't be sure of that. I'll have to review the posts.
        >
        > Please someone reply to me. I'm in a panic. Mars is taking 10mg of Pred per day along with the Lasix... His IBD is quite bad at this point, so maybe the doctor is addressing that as being the most important thing right now.
        >
        > So worried now!
        > Please someone help me-
        > Lora

      • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2011
          Is it oral or injectable prednisone? My heart kitty Boo has HCM and she also
          has other issues that have required that she take low doses of oral
          prednisone. She was FINE both times. Her vet said that injectable is to be
          avoided in heart kitties, but oral is okay to use.

          I too have gotten dire messages that I'm going to kill my cat by giving her
          this. But, they were wrong. She was fine. She didn't go into CHF. She just
          celebrated her fourth birthday yesterday.

          That being said, I do think it make sense to talk to your vet about your
          concerns. And don't abruptly stop the prednisone as I understand that can
          cause problems too.

          Sue & Boo

          On 1/2/11 6:17 PM, "HON3Ycomb" <hon3ycomb@...> wrote:

          > I have received two responses now that have me in a panic about Mars taking
          > Prednisone & Lasix... Will the Prednisone really kill him????
          >
          > I think I read of one other person on the IBD site that uses those two drugs
          > on their kitty. I think their kitty has lived an additional 2 years?? But I
          > can't be sure of that. I'll have to review the posts.
          >
          > Please someone reply to me. I'm in a panic. Mars is taking 10mg of Pred per
          > day along with the Lasix... His IBD is quite bad at this point, so maybe the
          > doctor is addressing that as being the most important thing right now.
          >
          > So worried now!
          > Please someone help me-
          > Lora
        • C.R.
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2011
            I think it all depends on each individual kitty. My angel Sweetie took oral prednisone and it wasn't good for her. So I think you definitely should talk to your vet about it all in the morning and get their input.

            Carol and Angel Snowball
            and the gang

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2011
              I'm sure it does depend on the cat and the cat's condition, which the cat's
              vet is probably in the best position to assess.

              I'm not suggesting anyone trust their vet's advice as holy writ, it's always
              good to be informed and to ask questions. At the same time, because one
              medication adversely affected another person's cat does not mean it will so
              affect every cat or any other particular cat.

              Sue & Boo

            • elfinmyst@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                Hi

                I agree that you must speak to your vet about this. The most important
                thing is the ultrasound. If Mars has any sign of fluid on the lungs the
                steroids could push him into heart failure. I understand your dilemma. Mars has
                complicated problems, as did my Tess.

                She had advanced HCM, kidney disease and crippling arthritis. She took
                prednisolone and painkillers after all other options were tried. She died of
                kidney failure but her last few months were happy and pain free. Quality of
                life is the most important thing. And fluid on the lungs is not quality,
                it's unpleasant and frightening. That has to be dealt with first. A vet would
                be able to tell you if Mars has fluid on the lungs by stethoscope and the
                ultrasound will certainly give a diagnosis.

                I would look into alternative options for IBD, such as allergy testing and
                diet changes. It may be Mars is intolerant to certain foods. Avoid milk.
                Has he had a stool test to rule out a parasitic infection? Trixis' bowel
                problems were found to be tritrichomonas.

                You must be in a whirl right now, with all this advice and suggestions.
                Read through them carefully when you're relaxed and write down a list of
                questions for the cardiologist and vet. Then work together for the best
                combination to give Mars a comfortable and happy life.

                Lyn:)

              • Judi Levens
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                  In my experience the regular vet didn't know that steroids are bad for heart kitties...I found out here and the cardiologist confirmed it, so be careful...do some research and present it to the doctor. There is a case study here of cats who went into CHF after being administered steroids...I don't know how to find it though. This is what happened to Max also, and thank goodness he recovered, but it was a real touch and go...good luck.
                  Judi and Max

                  To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                  From: npumie@...
                  Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:19:15 -0500
                  Subject: Re: [FH] Please help me... in a panic

                  I'm sure it does depend on the cat and the cat's condition, which the cat's
                  vet is probably in the best position to assess.

                  I'm not suggesting anyone trust their vet's advice as holy writ, it's always
                  good to be informed and to ask questions. At the same time, because one
                  medication adversely affected another person's cat does not mean it will so
                  affect every cat or any other particular cat.

                  Sue & Boo

                  On 1/2/11 9:04 PM, "C.R." <carolroar@...> wrote:

                  > I think it all depends on each individual kitty. My angel Sweetie took oral
                  > prednisone and it wasn't good for her. So I think you definitely should talk
                  > to your vet about it all in the morning and get their input.
                  >
                  > Carol and Angel Snowball
                  > and the gang

                • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                    And my regular vet does know about steroids and heart kitties. Again, not
                    everyone¹s experience is the same and neither is every cat¹s condition. My
                    point is there¹s no reason to panic someone.

                    Sue & Boo

                    On 1/3/11 8:22 AM, "Judi Levens" <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

                    > In my experience the regular vet didn't know that steroids are bad for heart
                    > kitties...I found out here and the cardiologist confirmed it, so be
                    > careful...do some research and present it to the doctor. There is a case
                    > study here of cats who went into CHF after being administered steroids...I
                    > don't know how to find it though. This is what happened to Max also, and
                    > thank goodness he recovered, but it was a real touch and go...good luck.
                    > Judi and Max

                  • Judi Levens
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                      I'm not trying to panic anyone, but just reaffirming what several other people have said...it's important information to pass on, and I think that's what we're here for? I wish I had known, although for me I didn't know Max had heart disease at the time he was administered steroids, so it wouldn't have helped. Judi and Max

                      To: casaobelisco@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                      From: npumie@...
                      Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:11:48 -0500

                      And my regular vet does know about steroids and heart kitties. Again, not
                      everyone�s experience is the same and neither is every cat�s condition. My
                      point is there�s no reason to panic someone.

                      Sue & Boo

                      On 1/3/11 8:22 AM, "Judi Levens" <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

                      > In my experience the regular vet didn't know that steroids are bad for heart
                      > kitties...I found out here and the cardiologist confirmed it, so be
                      > careful...do some research and present it to the doctor. There is a case
                      > study here of cats who went into CHF after being administered steroids...I
                      > don't know how to find it though. This is what happened to Max also, and
                      > thank goodness he recovered, but it was a real touch and go...good luck.
                      > Judi and Max

                    • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                        I didn¹t say you were trying to panic anyone. But that doesn¹t change that
                        she was in fact panicked. I¹ve received the same emails telling me the
                        perils of steroids. I appreciate the information, but never the tone of
                        ³YOU¹RE GOING TO KILL YOUR CAT!² that all too often comes with it. Even
                        though I know it is coming from someone who just wants to share and help, it
                        does actually panic people to read things like that. And panic isn¹t going
                        to help anyone.

                        While I appreciate the support and information on this list, like all such
                        lists people have a tendency to project all their experiences to every other
                        cat even though they¹re not vets and haven¹t examined the cat. According to
                        my cat¹s regular vet and her cardiologist, there is a difference between
                        injectable and oral steroids when it comes to heart cats, but that
                        distinction is always left out of the alarm bells. So I offered my
                        experience that my cat was fine after taking steroids twice as a counter
                        story to those who¹d told her her cat would die. My experience doesn¹t prove
                        her cat will be okay, but it does suggest that steroids aren¹t the death
                        sentence they are all too often portrayed to be.

                        Sue & Boo

                        On 1/3/11 9:17 AM, "Judi Levens" <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

                        > I'm not trying to panic anyone, but just reaffirming what several other people
                        > have said...it's important information to pass on, and I think that's what
                        > we're here for? I wish I had known, although for me I didn't know Max had
                        > heart disease at the time he was administered steroids, so it wouldn't have
                        > helped. Judi and Max

                      • Melissa Legan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                          I think Judi was just trying to relay the importantance of being aware of the effects. My Winston was adminstired ORAL steriods and DID go into CHF. I think the severity of the heart disease also plays a role. Winston has end stage heart disease....very severe HCM with mitral value displysia and conduction distrubance pattern (AV ans sinus). So, i think that the steriods proved to be too much, and caused the CHF. There is a WONDERFUL copy of the study performed on the internet- just google it. EVEN cats without heart diease went into idopathic heart failure after the ADMINISTRATION of steriods.

                          Please keep in mind, every cat is different. Steriods are in fact very dangerous for heart kitties. Just because one cat didnt go into CHF after steriods does not put to rest the fact that steriods in heart kitties have been studied extensively (oral and injectable).

                          If you have questions about steriods and CHF ask your vet, I dont think any of us should make judgment on the reaction that any of our kitties should have or could have. We ARENT vets (to my knowledge). The best advice is- call your vet, tell him you have concerns and leave it at that.

                          I didn¹t say you were trying to panic anyone. But that doesn¹t change that
                          she was in fact panicked. I¹ve received the same emails telling me the
                          perils of steroids. I appreciate the information, but never the tone of
                          ³YOU¹RE GOING TO KILL YOUR CAT!² that all too often comes with it. Even
                          though I know it is coming from someone who just wants to share and help, it
                          does actually panic people to read things like that. And panic isn¹t going
                          to help anyone.

                          While I appreciate the support and information on this list, like all such
                          lists people have a tendency to project all their experiences to every other
                          cat even though they¹re not vets and haven¹t examined the cat. According to
                          my cat¹s regular vet and her cardiologist, there is a difference between
                          injectable and oral steroids when it comes to heart cats, but that
                          distinction is always left out of the alarm bells. So I offered my
                          experience that my cat was fine after taking steroids twice as a counter
                          story to those who¹d told her her cat would die. My experience doesn¹t prove
                          her cat will be okay, but it does suggest that steroids aren¹t the death
                          sentence they are all too often portrayed to be.

                          Sue & Boo

                          On 1/3/11 9:17 AM, "Judi Levens" <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

                          > I'm not trying to panic anyone, but just reaffirming what several other people
                          > have said...it's important information to pass on, and I think that's what
                          > we're here for? I wish I had known, although for me I didn't know Max had
                          > heart disease at the time he was administered steroids, so it wouldn't have
                          > helped. Judi and Max

                        • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                            I GET that it what she is doing. And since Lora had written that she was in
                            a panic over it, I'm pretty sure she already knew the importance of being
                            aware.

                            I'm not sure what you're really disagreeing with. I said my experience did
                            not prove they were not a problem for her cat. And I also said she should
                            speak to her vet. That every cat is different. That we are not vets. I
                            didn't use all caps for it, but I said the same thing.

                            If you're talking about this study:
                            http://jarvm.com/articles/Vol2Iss3/TOBIASJARVMVol2No304.pdf, that report
                            concludes that "CHF should be listed as a potential adverse effect of
                            corticosteroid administration in cats." It doesn't say always, it says
                            potential.

                            And, the thing is, that study's sample started with only cats who had been
                            diagnosed with CHF. It did not look at all the cats given steroids to
                            determine the risk of CHF. Instead, it looked only at cats who had already
                            developed CHF and considered how many had done so within a certain time of
                            getting steroids. It excluded cats who'd been on steroids for months or
                            years prior to CHF. And--most important--it did not look at the number of
                            cats who are on steroids who did or did not go into CHF, which would be an
                            entirely different study and would actually give more answers about the
                            risks of steroids themselves.

                            So yes, speak to your vet about it. But don't get into a panic and don't
                            cause someone else to panic by telling them they're killing their cat by
                            giving steroids.

                            Sue & Boo

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                              OK, I think this is enough.

                              People are here to share their expereinces. Steriods are a very serious issue and I think Judi and I feel this way because we almost lost our kitties because of it. Losing my Winston will be like losing a child.

                              Sorry that we feel strongly about a very serious situation. No one wanted to panic anyone.

                              Nothing in the realm of heart disease should be taken lightly, and Judi and I probably feel this way given what our kitties have been through. My Winston is one of the most complicated and serious cases ever seen by my cardio.

                              Melissa

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                                Please don't suggest I'm saying anyone should take anything to do with heart
                                disease or their cats lightly. I have not done this or come close to
                                suggesting it. I have not said heart disease is not a serious situation. I
                                have shared my experience, which you acknowledge people are here to do. As a
                                member of this list, I assume I am allowed to do so as well.

                                And I feel strongly about this too. I have been advised by people on this
                                list to ignore a health problem my cat was having--one that was putting her
                                life at risk--because of their fear of steroids because of their experience
                                with their cats.

                                Everyone on this list feels strongly about their cats and my assumption is
                                that for all of us the loss of our cat is the loss of a beloved child. I
                                also assume everyone is trying to do the best she or he can for their cat.
                                That goes for those I agree and disagree with.

                                Sue & Boo

                                On 1/3/11 10:42 AM, "Melissa Legan" <smittyhj82@...> wrote:

                                > OK, I think this is enough.
                                >
                                > People are here to share their expereinces. Steriods are a very serious issue
                                > and I think Judi and I feel this way because we almost lost our kitties
                                > because of it. Losing my Winston will be like losing a child.
                                >
                                > Sorry that we feel strongly about a very serious situation. No one wanted to
                                > panic anyone.
                                >
                                > Nothing in the realm of heart disease should be taken lightly, and Judi and I
                                > probably feel this way given what our kitties have been through. My Winston is
                                > one of the most complicated and serious cases ever seen by my cardio.
                              • Mmayer11
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                                  Please everyone let's take Sue's words as the end of this subject. We are back going in circles. Let's try starting the New Year giving this topic a rest. Ir's unhelpful to drag this on.

                                  Sue wrote:for all of us the loss of our cat is the loss of a beloved child. I
                                  also assume everyone is trying to do the best she or he can for their cat.
                                  That goes for those I agree and disagree with.

                                  Marianna

                                • Patti Thomas
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                                    From Washington State University regarding HCM research in Sphynx.

                                    The following is from Dr.Kate Meurs:

                                    We have had a fabulous response to our request for samples and they have really
                                    been coming in! The company that makes the feline array is running behind
                                    schedule so we still have time to collect both affected and unaffected samples
                                    and would still really like them! We will start looking at some new genes next
                                    week so we can keep progressing while we wait for the array.

                                    Also , we really need some heart tissue samples (just a few) from affected and
                                    unaffected cats. If someone is unfortunate enough to be putting their HCM
                                    affected cat or older (at least 8 years of age) to sleep it would be extremely
                                    helpful if we could ask the veterinarian to save a small section of the heart
                                    for us? It does have to be specially preserved in a solution from us, but we
                                    could fedex the solution for next day arrival to your veterinarian. At this
                                    point we have ruled out many genes but have not found anything and being able to
                                    exam the tissue may be very helpful. We don't need very many so if even 3-4
                                    people can help us it may be enough!

                                    Thank you!
                                    Kate