Re: Mars

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
      hi Lora,

      I'm sorry that Mars is having all these troubles. I can sympathize with you, having my Misty with many of the same problems.

      One thing that is really important is to stop the steroids. I know the IBD is serious, Misty has it too, but steroids (prednisone, prednisolone, dexamethasone, etc.) cause fluid retention and for a heart kitty is very dangerous and can lead to congestive heart failure, which is fluid collecting in the lungs/chest.

      I know it's not advisable to stop steoids suddenly, but you really need to stop them somehow. I'm very surprised that none of the vets have suggested this. Talk the them as soon as you can and get Mars off the steroids as soon as possible. My angel Sweetie went into her first bout of congestive heart failure from prednisone she was taking for IBD. This was back in 2003 and before I knew there were other ways to deal with it. Sweetie only had a heart murmur at the time, but the fluid retention she experienced from the pred, sent her into CHF within two weeks of taking it. If you stop the steroids, that should help the Lasix get rid of the fluids better, and you may be able to use less Lasix to do the job, which is really advisable for crf kitties. Lasix is very hard on the kidneys.

      There are other things you can do for IBD. We've been doing holistic things for Misty (acupuncture, herbs, homeopathics). To be honest with you, she's not totally IBD symtom free, but not doing badly either. Our holistic vet will change her herbs from time to time when her IBD flares up, but at least she's not dealing with the horrible side effects of the steroids.

      My angels Sweetie and Snowball were also heart and crf kitties, and yes, the hydration is difficult. Too much and the heart suffers, too little and the kidneys do. It's a bad catch 22, and you have to just do what you can for the kidneys. I found that if I could get them to ingest more water in food or by syringing it into them, I could keep them fairly hydrated...that and giving minimum subQ fluids, sometimes only 50mg a day divided into two sessions so it was less stress on the heart.

      I would stop the kibble too. Kibble foods, even renal ones, are very hard on the kidneys, because they require the body to give up moisture to break them down. It's much better to feed wet foods for crf kitties. Try giving Mars baby food meat for a while, till he gets his appetite back. We use Beechnut Stage 1 meats. They're nothing but meat and broth, without any spices or additives. Gerber is okay as a second choice, but they use cornstarch in theirs, which may aggravate IBD.

      Hang in there Lora. I hope things calm down for Mars. We'll hold him in our good thoughts and prayers.

      hugs,
      and the gang
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
        Can anyone help me out by telling me what your normal dosage of enalapril is? Max has been having his compounded, but we are going to run out and I need to go and buy some pills (over the counter in Mexico)...I just don't know what to get. He takes 1.7mg/ml right now...any help is appreciated. Thank you.
        Judi and Max

      • Ana Gutierrez
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
          Punky is having 2.5 mg a day
          I buy the 10 mg pills and split them in four.
          Punky is ~5 mo. and weights 2 kilos

          Hope that helps ,
          Ana

          On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Judi Levens <casaobelisco@...>wrote:

          > Can anyone help me out by telling me what your normal dosage of enalapril
          > is? Max has been having his compounded, but we are going to run out and I
          > need to go and buy some pills (over the counter in Mexico)...I just don't
          > know what to get. He takes 1.7mg/ml right now...any help is appreciated.
          > Thank you.
          > Judi and Max

        • Kristen G
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
            My Duffer is on the same dose, 2.5mg once a day.  I get the 2.5mg pills.  Didn't
            think about getting bigger ones and splitting.  That would probably save some
            $$$.  Thanks, Ana!

            Kristen

            ________________________________

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hi Lora

              I am so sorry to hear Mars is struggling with so many problems. It must be
              hard juggling them all. Steroids are unfortunately bad for cats with HCM
              and is it possible he gets a non steroidal anti-inflammatory for his IBD. The
              cardiologist will be able to tell you more when they do the ultrasound and
              perhaps suggest the treatment best for him to manage all conditions.

              Lyn:)

            • elfinmyst@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
                Hi

                I get the dog 5mg ones and split them. A packet of 28 is similar cost to
                the 2.5mg so you get a lot more for your money.

                Lyn:)