Mars

  • HON3Ycomb
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hello,

      My name is Lora. My husband, Nick, and I live just outside Cincinnati, Ohio. We have 4 kitties we call "our babies". One of our babies has Severe IBD that we have managed with steroids, diligence, and lots of love. Now, our youngest baby, Mars, is quite ill, and I need some advice and a few shoulders to lean on.

      Mars (12-1/2 years old) was having horrible episodes of diarrhea & nausea, and ended up in the hospital Wednesday. Tests have shown he has: "Severe IBD that is transitioning into Lymphoma". While in the hospital this past week our doctor of Internal Medicine found Mars was breathing rapidly, so he gave Mars an ultrasound and called the Cardiologist to confer with her. She confirmed Mars has some form of Heart Disease. Mars has an appointment for an echocardiogram on Tuesday with the Cardiologist.

      Too, Mars already had mild Kidney Disease. The Kidney Disease at this point is manageable, and his Creatinine level is at 2.8 right now, with the normal range being below 2.4. The Heart Disease has me worried, though.

      Mars was able to come home early Saturday evening. His breathing was rapid. He was breathing about 50 to 60 times per minute. I called the vet, and a vet technician called me back. She said that was excessive and to watch him closely, and bring him to the emergency room if it continues. I told her he was due for his Lasix dosage (1/4 of a 12.5mg tablet). The vet tech said that should help his breathing.

      Well, we gave him his Lasix and his Prednisone (10mg tablet once per day). About an hour later his breathing slowed, and I'm hoping he can now rest a bit better. Poor thing tries to sleep, but had been breathing so rapidly he wasn't able to rest. Right now he is trying to sleep and I keep counting his breaths, which are about 24 to 36 per minute.

      He really needs to sleep and to eat. The vet put him on a diet of Duck. He was only nibbling at that. So, when I talked to the vet tech, I asked her if I could give him some of his old food which is Hills Kidney-Diet dry kibble. The vet tech said it was ok. He has only nibbled on the food. I truly wish he'd eat more.

      We lost a cat to CRF years ago, so I know how important it is to keep a cat hydrated. With Mars' heart disease, though, too much fluid can kill him... this concept is so foreign to me.

      We don't know what type of heart disease Mars has at this point. When we find out on Tuesday I'll post the results. Until then, any information any of you can throw my way I would appreciate. I am also currently a member of the Feline IBD group and the Feline Lymphoma group. I'm sure the people in this forum will be just as compassionate and helpful as those in the other 2 groups I belong to.

      My husband & I really need to get Mars feeling better. He's my baby. I call him "My Little Shadow" because he follows me from room to room and wants to always be near his mommy. He has my heart wrapped around his little paw... if something happens to him, my heart will never be the same. Please help us.

      Lora
    • C.R.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
        hi Lora,

        I'm sorry that Mars is having all these troubles. I can sympathize with you, having my Misty with many of the same problems.

        One thing that is really important is to stop the steroids. I know the IBD is serious, Misty has it too, but steroids (prednisone, prednisolone, dexamethasone, etc.) cause fluid retention and for a heart kitty is very dangerous and can lead to congestive heart failure, which is fluid collecting in the lungs/chest.

        I know it's not advisable to stop steoids suddenly, but you really need to stop them somehow. I'm very surprised that none of the vets have suggested this. Talk the them as soon as you can and get Mars off the steroids as soon as possible. My angel Sweetie went into her first bout of congestive heart failure from prednisone she was taking for IBD. This was back in 2003 and before I knew there were other ways to deal with it. Sweetie only had a heart murmur at the time, but the fluid retention she experienced from the pred, sent her into CHF within two weeks of taking it. If you stop the steroids, that should help the Lasix get rid of the fluids better, and you may be able to use less Lasix to do the job, which is really advisable for crf kitties. Lasix is very hard on the kidneys.

        There are other things you can do for IBD. We've been doing holistic things for Misty (acupuncture, herbs, homeopathics). To be honest with you, she's not totally IBD symtom free, but not doing badly either. Our holistic vet will change her herbs from time to time when her IBD flares up, but at least she's not dealing with the horrible side effects of the steroids.

        My angels Sweetie and Snowball were also heart and crf kitties, and yes, the hydration is difficult. Too much and the heart suffers, too little and the kidneys do. It's a bad catch 22, and you have to just do what you can for the kidneys. I found that if I could get them to ingest more water in food or by syringing it into them, I could keep them fairly hydrated...that and giving minimum subQ fluids, sometimes only 50mg a day divided into two sessions so it was less stress on the heart.

        I would stop the kibble too. Kibble foods, even renal ones, are very hard on the kidneys, because they require the body to give up moisture to break them down. It's much better to feed wet foods for crf kitties. Try giving Mars baby food meat for a while, till he gets his appetite back. We use Beechnut Stage 1 meats. They're nothing but meat and broth, without any spices or additives. Gerber is okay as a second choice, but they use cornstarch in theirs, which may aggravate IBD.

        Hang in there Lora. I hope things calm down for Mars. We'll hold him in our good thoughts and prayers.

        hugs,
        and the gang
      • Judi Levens
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
          Can anyone help me out by telling me what your normal dosage of enalapril is? Max has been having his compounded, but we are going to run out and I need to go and buy some pills (over the counter in Mexico)...I just don't know what to get. He takes 1.7mg/ml right now...any help is appreciated. Thank you.
          Judi and Max

        • Ana Gutierrez
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
            Punky is having 2.5 mg a day
            I buy the 10 mg pills and split them in four.
            Punky is ~5 mo. and weights 2 kilos

            Hope that helps ,
            Ana

            On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Judi Levens <casaobelisco@...>wrote:

            > Can anyone help me out by telling me what your normal dosage of enalapril
            > is? Max has been having his compounded, but we are going to run out and I
            > need to go and buy some pills (over the counter in Mexico)...I just don't
            > know what to get. He takes 1.7mg/ml right now...any help is appreciated.
            > Thank you.
            > Judi and Max

          • Kristen G
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
              My Duffer is on the same dose, 2.5mg once a day.  I get the 2.5mg pills.  Didn't
              think about getting bigger ones and splitting.  That would probably save some
              $$$.  Thanks, Ana!

              Kristen

              ________________________________

            • elfinmyst@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
                Hi Lora

                I am so sorry to hear Mars is struggling with so many problems. It must be
                hard juggling them all. Steroids are unfortunately bad for cats with HCM
                and is it possible he gets a non steroidal anti-inflammatory for his IBD. The
                cardiologist will be able to tell you more when they do the ultrasound and
                perhaps suggest the treatment best for him to manage all conditions.

                Lyn:)

              • elfinmyst@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
                  Hi

                  I get the dog 5mg ones and split them. A packet of 28 is similar cost to
                  the 2.5mg so you get a lot more for your money.

                  Lyn:)