Michelle

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
      Our beautiful calico cat, Michelle, died yesterday.
      I estimated her age at 16 1/2 years and she was a
      scrappy little cat between 7-8 lbs. She has the most
      beautiful eyes and she was our only longhaired cat.
      She was the last of our six cats and for almost two
      years she was our only cat. She craved attention and
      love and received it in spades.
      I had originally rescued her in May 1995 as part of a
      series of ultimately ten cat rescues with a friend active
      in cat rescues. We kept five and found homes for five.
      Originally I placed Michelle in a nice home but I had to
      take her back after two years because her adoptees were
      unable to take care of her. Thankfully they called me
      the night before my phone was disconnected because we
      bought a house. They were going to take Michelle to a
      no kill shelter in Santa Clara. I brought her home at
      once and she happily joined the the then other four cats.
      Later she also took to another rescued cat we brought in.
      She had a loud meow and after she was the last cat she
      was understandably very needy and I gave her all the attention
      in the world. She slept with me as did the other cats and I
      think she liked it most when she had me all too herself.
      She was a beautiful orange, white and black calico.
      She liked to go outside but not for long.
      I was treating her for almost two years with fluids every other
      day for early kidney failure. I gave the last fluid
      Tuesday and a few hours she started to dramatically deteriorate.
      I usually gave 150-175 ccs but I wonder if what I did that
      late afternoon provoked her till then dormat heart murmur.
      We had a full blood tests done a few weeks earlier and it
      looked good except for a urinary tract which we treated for
      two weeks with antibiotics. That was stressful but very quick.
      I was due to take her into our vets in El Cerrito on Wednesday
      for a urinalysis but I could see that she was too weak to
      take the long ride from Oakland. When I called the doctor he
      said the symptoms sounded like heart failure and her lung probably were filled with fluid because her breating was quite belabored.
      Yeterday after she was only drinking water and was very weak
      I took her to a holistic vet five minutes away where they put her gently to sleep. She was alert and very affectionate to the end.
      I had an hour with her before the vet came.
      I've ordered her casket and a personalized marker and we will have
      a memorial service for her in February.
      My wife and close friends have been very supportive but I'm
      totally devastated. To wake up a little while ago without her,
      she's wrapped in the refrigerator till the casket comes, is
      just overwhelming. First time in 22 years, 1/3rd of my life,
      that I've been without a cat. When I was younger I lost a cat
      after 18 years and this feels as bad.
      I have had enough experience in the last eight years losing cats but
      it doesn't get easier, it gets harder.
      I have to be strong to take care of all of her arrangements plus
      we will have a memorial service as we have for the other five cats
      and Michelle will be buried near their headstones.
      God, I miss her ! I'm not religious but I pray there is a Cat Heaven.
      Michelle gave unconditional love and received it.
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
        Oh, Mike, I just read your email. I am so sorry to hear about your dear Michelle. I've had several calico cats in my life, and they are so beautiful and very special. Do you know why they are considered lucky? It's because God paints each one individually. That's why, like with snowflakes, there are never two calico cats that are exactly alike.

        She was very blessed to have you to take care of her, especially during her illness. You did everything you could, and she is at the Rainbow Bridge now, happy and restored to health. She's playing with the other kitties you had. I know we will see our little ones again.

        Please be open to taking in some new kitties. They will help heal your heart. You may not think so now, because the pain is so great --- but you are exactly the kind of person every kitty prays to find. Just be open -- the right kitties will find you. Take them in! Something warm and fuzzy to hold is exactly what you need right now.

        we are here for you ---- take care --
        Sincerely, Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too in Toronto

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
          Hi -- Mike sent this just to me, so i thought I'd forward it to the group.
          I'm so glad he's open to getting some new kitties soon. Just keep your
          heart open, Mike, the right ones will find you!!
          > Oh, Mike, I just read your email. I am so sorry to hear about your dear
          > Michelle. I've had several calico cats in my life, and they are so
          > beautiful and very special. Do you know why they are considered lucky?
          > It's because God paints each one individually. That's why, like with
          > snowflakes, there are never two calico cats that are exactly alike.
          >
          > She was very blessed to have you to take care of her, especially during
          > her illness. You did everything you could, and she is at the Rainbow
          > Bridge now, happy and restored to health. She's playing with the other
          > kitties you had. I know we will see our little ones again.
          >
          > Please be open to taking in some new kitties. They will help heal your
          > heart. You may not think so now, because the pain is so great --- but you
          > are exactly the kind of person every kitty prays to find. Just be open --
          > the right kitties will find you. Take them in! Something warm and fuzzy
          > to hold is exactly what you need right now.
          >
          > we are here for you ---- take care --
          > Sincerely, Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too in Toronto

        • cathryn
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
            Mike your email brought tears to my eyes. What a special bond you had with
            Michelle. What a lucky kitty! I know it's hard but take good care of
            yourself and thanks for looking out for that special cat and all the others.

            best,
            Cathryn.