Re: Winston- need advice.

  • toomany_kittys
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2010
      Hi Melissa,
      I've had 2 cats tapped, the present one many times before we got him stabilized. They were all done without sedation, but the cats didn't fight it. Initially they were too weak to. With Kensington as he got stronger, they'd let him walk around, then tap him, let him walk around more and tap him again over the course of several hours. For the first three or four times they got 250 cc out of each side of this chest and later only 250 cc out of one side. He was put on Lasix and Spironolactone and then Rutein was added (250 mg twice daily). 2 weeks later his chest was clear and he's needed no further taps. He is still on all three and is doing well.
      The fibrotic tissue is painful and is a problem and could be from chylous effusion, in which case Rutein works great. You must give at least 500 mg Rutein per day. It is available at any health food store.