Chest Tap

  • Smitty
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2010
      Hi everyone. This Friday I am taking my Winston in to have his chest tapped. We have recently upped his lasix and spiro and on last weeks chest xays, there was still no change in the amount of fluid around the lungs.

      The cardio reveiwed the new xrays and decided it was time to try and tap his chest and remove the fluid.

      Has anyone had their kitty's chest tapped? If so, how invasive is it? Was it successful in removing fluid, and did the fluid come back right away?

      Melissa
    • toomany_kittys
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2010
        Hi Melissa,
        I've had 2 cats tapped. Kensington was in congestive heart failure when he came in early August. He spent his first day at the ER getting his chest tapped. Initially his chest was tapped every 3 days, then weekly, then every 2 weeks for the first few months. Since then his chest is clear. He's on Lasix, Spiro and Rutein, along with supplements, Tapazole and Phenobarb for seizures. He's gained over 2 lbs and is doing very well.
        Hope this helps a bit.