RCM Diagnosis

  • lpgreen44
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2010
      My cat, Camille, was recently diagnosed with Restrictive Cardiomyopathy. After a visit to a cardiologist, she was put on: Lasix 12.5 mg 2x/day, Spironolactone 25 mg 2x/day and Pimobendon 1.25 mg 2x/day. She also had her lungs drained of 4.6 oz of fluid. After a re-check and blood work, her kidney and liver levels were high (especially the liver). After a few days of being taken off the Pimobendon, she was put back on it to help her feel more comfortable. After an initial prognosis of having 1 - 1 1/2 years left, it looks like we have much less time with Camille than originally thought. I stumbled upon this website, and was wondering if anyone else has been in this similar situation, and what you would suggest we do?
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2010
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear of Camille. It sounds as if she was in coronary heart
        failure on diagnosis and that is why she has the diuretics. That's the most
        important thing, to get the fluid off the lungs as that would make her
        uncomfortable.

        She also needs drugs to help her heart. Restrictive cardiomyopathy I have
        to admit none of my cats have, so I can't give specific advice. But heart
        disease is controllable. None of us know how long we have with our kitties
        and it is normal to be very worried at first diagnosis. All you can do is
        love her and make her comfortable, there are cats here (My Trixi.. given 3
        months to live and is now 3 years since diagnosis). Medical treatments can
        help a lot.

        If Camille responds well to her drugs that is good. You may be able to
        reduce the lasix once she is stable and that will help the kidneys. Lasix is
        hard on the kidneys, but the fluid has to come first. I'm not sure why her
        liver levels are elevated. Trix had both diuretics and pimobendon with no
        effect to her liver whatsoever. Pimodendon was a wonder drug for her.

        How old is Camille?