Re: [FH] Re: Punky - only HCM?

  • Barbie
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
      Awe, saw the pictures, bless his heart he looked
      terrified.  He is so blessed to have you.  Just
      brought me to tears.  No matter the problems
      some pets face, they are lucky in so many ways
      to be off the street and in a loving home like yours.

      Bless you and I do pray that your little furry friend
      has a long happy life and that he progresses well
      with this disease.

      Barbie

      see in them what I am".

      Gustav Klimt

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
        Thank you very much for your words, Barbie.

        I am completely new at cardiomyopathies, so any advices, important
        anecdotes, life-saving stories, etc... are more than welcomed :)

        Best wishes,
        Ana

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
          Hi Ana

          Punky is absolutely beautiful.! He's going to be huge when he grows into
          those ears.He looks semi longhair and a pedigree cross possibly?

          If he has had an ultrasound, you can ask that to be forwarded to the new
          cardiologist. Was it a cardiologist who did the initial ultrasound? You need
          a definite diagnosis. HCM in a kitten is usually genetic and advances
          quickly so I would have thought he would need some medication as Trixi and Maxi
          and Milli had. Unless it's mild, then they may monitor him with repeat
          ultrasounds to see if it progresses.

          The achondroplasia is likely an inherited defect and makes pituitary
          dwarfism unlikely. It would have affected his back legs as well and his body
          looks normal for a 4 month kitten. As for the neutering, well that's always a
          risk of course. Milli and Trixi and Maxi were all neutered and came through.
          There are some anaesthetics which are safer but I would take the
          cardiologists advice.

          Undescended testicles can lead to a tumour in later life so they do like to
          remove them. Also you would have a full male cat capable of mating and
          spraying. But he's only 4 months, you can give him time to settle yet. Every
          operation is a risk with a heart kitty, but that would be entirely your
          choice. We had Trixi neutered when we had no choice because she had an tooth
          abcess. She sailed through it. Milli had a bad time and suffered a fit under
          the anaesthetic, she also had a tumor removed at the same time. But she
          recovered. Maxi had no issues at all and neither did any of the other heart
          cats.

          Except Molly who was allergic to catgut!

          Hope that helps. I`m glad you're seeing a cardiologist. You love Punky
          every day. Only special people are chosen by heart kitties:)

          Love Lyn

        • cathy coleman
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                     This is an email I have dreaded writing but it is time to do so. I want to let you all know that I had to let my Winston go last night. It was very very hard but I know it was the right decision. Ironically, it was not the HCM that got him. It was something that appeared to be unrleated. Winston had slowed down a bit but seemed mostly himself up until this past Saturday when he did not wake me up at the crack of dawn to eat. He ate only a few bites on Sat and on Sunday and seemed very listless and not himself. I brought him on Monday morning to Tufts where they said he was very dehyrated. His kidney values were not good, and both the doctors and I thought this was the inevitable battle between the kidney and the heart which many of you are familiar with I know. They thought they might be able to turn the situation around with adminstering fluids and potassium pills.

            We tried that. He still wasn't eating and still seemed sick. I brought him back in and he stayed the night. When I brought him in, I told them about the "guck" in his left eye. I had wiped out this brown discharge out of his left eye but it seemed to be back.They didn't seem too concerned at the time. The next day though, they called me and said his kidney values were still bad but a little better, but the bad news was he appeared to have either a tumor or a bad infection in his eye. It had gotten much much worse in just one day! He looked like he had been punched in the eye. His left side of his head and eye were swollen. He could barely open it. They recommended that if we go forward with treatment, we do the feeding tube and take out the eye.

            At 15 and with his progressing HCM (which was diagnosed end stage in May of 09 and had progressed as of his last echo in June), I couldn't see doing this. It seemed too much to put him through with no gaurantee of buying him much more than maybe a couple of months. If the tumor was cancer, I couldn't imagine treating at this point.

            Winston was the love of my life in a lot of ways -- a perfect match for me -- affectionate, a constant companion (underfoot even when it was inconvenient!). I live alone and I can't bring msyelf to go home yet. I stayed at my parents' the last 2 nights. I am dreading going home to the empty house and the empty feeling that goes with it.

            I do want to say this though -- you all have been a god send. I appreciate all the kindness and advice and wisdom I've received here over the last year and a half. You have all been through hard times and are so kind and loving. I would like to offer some meds. I just got an order of Plavix and Pimobendan and also have some Enalapril, Spironolactone, and lasix.
            I've benefitted from others generosity on this list in this way and woudl like to give back to someone who needs these. I know the Plavix and Pimo are especially expensive and I know that can be a tough thing! Please email me off list if you're interested and I'll get this all together sometime in the next week or so.

            Thank you again. I always sign this Cathy & Winston. It feels too sad to sign it just Cathy so I'm going to thank you from Winston too who I know would also offer his thanks,
            Cathy & Winston in MA

            At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
              Oh, Cathy, I cried when I read your letter. I am so sorry you lost your special little boy. But you absolutely did the right thing. Treating for cancer is only worthwhile when the kitty is young and in good health otherwise. It would have been cruel to put him through all that at his age and in his condition. He is at peace now, and happy and healthy again -- and I know he's waiting for you at the Bridge. I know we will be reunited with our little ones. It's so hard to let them go, but we have to think of them first.

              Sincerely, Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too in Toronto

            • Judi Levens
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                Cathy, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Mr. Winston...I feel that I know you both, and have been "through it" with you. It sounds like it was truly his time, and he gave you a great 15 years, so that's wonderful memories to hold onto. I can totally relate to what you are saying...I will never be prepared to say goodbye to Max either...I can't imagine facing that day. I so hope that you can get through this knowing that there is so much love and sympathy here on the blog for your loss, and knowing in your heart that you gave him a wonderful life full of love and affection; he was a very lucky boy, and I'm sure he knows it. Please consider another kitty...it won't ever be the same, but maybe it will take your mind off of the pain you're feeling right now. Will you post Winston's photo again? Thank you, and big hugs to you...I will light a candle for your boy and you will both be in my thoughts...Judi and Max

                To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                  So sorry I didnot get this post only thru the round about way. . .Cathy You have to know that you were the very best MOM that could be. Winston was so fortunate to have you in his life. Now he is out of pain and I know the
                  very pain that you must be feeling. It is so hard when you love so deeply BUT with that love you give him freedom from his pain.

                  Prayers for Winstons flight to heaven and for healing for you!

                  Hugs,

                  suze and the bengal gang

                • Mmayer11
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                    Dear Cathy,
                    I am so deeply sorry to learn of Winston's passing. You and he have put up such a brave fight to keep him well for as long as I can remember. I wish that you will find peace with the loss of your precious little Winston. I have a candle burning for him tonight at...
                    http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=winst
                    Love,
                    Marianna

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                      Oh Cathy,

                      I'm so, so very sorry to hear that you lost your dearest little Winston. My heart breaks for you. You were such a good mom to him and you gave him so much love and care and kindness. I know that he loved you dearly too and still does. I know how hard it is losing them. I still cry for Snowball. ...but somewhere in my heart I know that they're still here with us, watching over us and staying by our side. So many times I hear others say that they "move on". Maybe they do at some point, but I truly believe that they stay with us a long time after they pass, to make sure we're okay.... and if they do move on, that they can pop back to be by our side in an instant if we ever need them. I talk to Snowball every night and I have to believe that she hears me and is here near me. I just can't see her.

                      I'll light a candle for your dear Mr. Winston tonight. My heart goes out to you and I'm holding you in my prayers too.

                      love,
                      Carol and Angel Snowball
                      and the gang