Re: Punky - only HCM?

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
      HI ana

      WHat breed is he?

      One month old is far too young to be without his mum. He is so lucky you
      found him and are doing your best to love him. He has chosen you! Is he
      having kitten milk mixed up to drink with his normal food as normally he
      wouldn't be fully weaned yet. You can get that in a tin like baby milk and it
      would be perfect for him.

      Is it possible he is older than one month? HCM at that age is highly
      unusual. I have two cats with similar situations to yours. Trixi was diagnosed
      with advanced HCM at 3 months old and with medication is doing well. She was
      told she had 3 months to live, but refused to listen and is now 3 years.
      Tansy never grew, never lost her baby teeth and had mental problems. She was
      diagnosed with pituitary dwarfism and her heart blood vessels were also 'in
      the wrong place' leading to heart complications. Is it possible Punky has
      pituitary dwarfism? Tansy is still only the size of a 5 month kitten at 3
      years old. Pituitary dwarfism also seems to make them mentally 'not quite
      right' and Tansy has eye problems. She also has narcolepsy.

      Pectus excavatum is when the sternum is not developed normally. It is quite
      obvious and the vet would have noticed that. If Punky has had so many
      infections and lost his mother, he would be putting all his energy into
      fighting that and not growing. He sounds like he has a congenital problem and I`m
      glad he has a loving home with you. The heart disease can be stabilised.
      When he is neutered he will need the undescended testicle removed as it can
      lead to complications later on. My Josh had an undescended testicle, it's
      not uncommon.

      I suggest a blood test to test his pituitary hormone level. At a young age
      he can have supplements to help fix this. Tansy was finally diagnosed at
      one year after a lot of tests and was fully grown then so couldn't be helped
      with pituitary hormones.

      The other thing that comes to mind is a liver shunt. That causes heart
      problems and retarded growth but I`m sure your vet has ruled that out by now.

      Nurse him, love him and give him a cuddle from me:)

      Love Lyn

    • Ana Gutierrez
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
        Dear Lyn,

        Thanks so much for your kind answer. Punky received your cuddles right away
        and purred :)
        I don't know about cat breeds. You can see pictures of him in this link:
        http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=583763&id=620990647&l=a7fe8aad35 (He
        is the orange tabby)
        I would apprecciate any information on the possible breed, and what extra
        care should I take.

        We think he is 4 months old now. He is so much better... when I found him he
        was merely bones and skin (and infections)...

        I like in a small town in M�xico and we only have one good vet. I am
        planning to take Punky to M�xico City next week to see a feline
        cardiologist. Should he be revalorated (I mean, a new ultrasound)?
        The vet here said no meds for him until his first crisis. Does this make
        sense?
        He said only to supplement diet with Carnitine, Taurine and CoQ10

        As you can see in the pictures his dwarfism is not proportioned... he has a
        normal body size but small front legs. I read this is achondroplasia, whilst
        pituary dwarfism is a more proportioned dwarfism. Anyway I will ask for the
        pituary test. Thanks for the advice.

        I don't think he had a mother for a long time, since he didn't know how to
        speak cat. My other cats tought him by now and he meowed for the first time
        a couple of weeks ago, but he probably lost his mother really early. Anyway,
        the vet also thinks these are congenital problems.

        I know he has an undescendent testicle, but can he be neutered? I am
        frightened of the anesthesia. Cats with HCM tolerate anesthesia? Is there a
        special anesthesia to protect the heart?

        Thanks!
        Ana & Punky

        On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:45 AM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

        > HI ana
        >
        > WHat breed is he?
        >
        > One month old is far too young to be without his mum. He is so lucky you
        > found him and are doing your best to love him. He has chosen you! Is he
        > having kitten milk mixed up to drink with his normal food as normally he
        > wouldn't be fully weaned yet. You can get that in a tin like baby milk and
        > it
        > would be perfect for him.
        >
        > Is it possible he is older than one month? HCM at that age is highly
        > unusual. I have two cats with similar situations to yours. Trixi was
        > diagnosed
        > with advanced HCM at 3 months old and with medication is doing well. She
        > was
        > told she had 3 months to live, but refused to listen and is now 3 years.
        > Tansy never grew, never lost her baby teeth and had mental problems. She
        > was
        > diagnosed with pituitary dwarfism and her heart blood vessels were also 'in
        >
        > the wrong place' leading to heart complications. Is it possible Punky has
        > pituitary dwarfism? Tansy is still only the size of a 5 month kitten at 3
        > years old. Pituitary dwarfism also seems to make them mentally 'not quite
        > right' and Tansy has eye problems. She also has narcolepsy.
        >
        > Pectus excavatum is when the sternum is not developed normally. It is quite
        >
        > obvious and the vet would have noticed that. If Punky has had so many
        > infections and lost his mother, he would be putting all his energy into
        > fighting that and not growing. He sounds like he has a congenital problem
        > and I`m
        > glad he has a loving home with you. The heart disease can be stabilised.
        > When he is neutered he will need the undescended testicle removed as it can
        >
        > lead to complications later on. My Josh had an undescended testicle, it's
        > not uncommon.
        >
        > I suggest a blood test to test his pituitary hormone level. At a young age
        > he can have supplements to help fix this. Tansy was finally diagnosed at
        > one year after a lot of tests and was fully grown then so couldn't be
        > helped
        > with pituitary hormones.
        >
        > The other thing that comes to mind is a liver shunt. That causes heart
        > problems and retarded growth but I`m sure your vet has ruled that out by
        > now.
        >
        > Nurse him, love him and give him a cuddle from me:)
        >
        > Love Lyn

      • Barbie
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
          Awe, saw the pictures, bless his heart he looked
          terrified.  He is so blessed to have you.  Just
          brought me to tears.  No matter the problems
          some pets face, they are lucky in so many ways
          to be off the street and in a loving home like yours.

          Bless you and I do pray that your little furry friend
          has a long happy life and that he progresses well
          with this disease.

          Barbie

          see in them what I am".

          Gustav Klimt

          ________________________________
          http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=583763&id=620990647&l=a7fe8aad35%c2%a0 (He
          is the orange tabby)
          I would apprecciate any information on the possible breed, and what extra
          care should I take.

          We think he is 4 months old now. He is so much better... when I found him he
          was merely bones and skin (and infections)...

          I like in a small town in México and we only have one good vet. I am
          planning to take Punky to México City next week to see a feline

        • Ana Gutierrez
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
            Thank you very much for your words, Barbie.

            I am completely new at cardiomyopathies, so any advices, important
            anecdotes, life-saving stories, etc... are more than welcomed :)

            Best wishes,
            Ana

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
              Hi Ana

              Punky is absolutely beautiful.! He's going to be huge when he grows into
              those ears.He looks semi longhair and a pedigree cross possibly?

              If he has had an ultrasound, you can ask that to be forwarded to the new
              cardiologist. Was it a cardiologist who did the initial ultrasound? You need
              a definite diagnosis. HCM in a kitten is usually genetic and advances
              quickly so I would have thought he would need some medication as Trixi and Maxi
              and Milli had. Unless it's mild, then they may monitor him with repeat
              ultrasounds to see if it progresses.

              The achondroplasia is likely an inherited defect and makes pituitary
              dwarfism unlikely. It would have affected his back legs as well and his body
              looks normal for a 4 month kitten. As for the neutering, well that's always a
              risk of course. Milli and Trixi and Maxi were all neutered and came through.
              There are some anaesthetics which are safer but I would take the
              cardiologists advice.

              Undescended testicles can lead to a tumour in later life so they do like to
              remove them. Also you would have a full male cat capable of mating and
              spraying. But he's only 4 months, you can give him time to settle yet. Every
              operation is a risk with a heart kitty, but that would be entirely your
              choice. We had Trixi neutered when we had no choice because she had an tooth
              abcess. She sailed through it. Milli had a bad time and suffered a fit under
              the anaesthetic, she also had a tumor removed at the same time. But she
              recovered. Maxi had no issues at all and neither did any of the other heart
              cats.

              Except Molly who was allergic to catgut!

              Hope that helps. I`m glad you're seeing a cardiologist. You love Punky
              every day. Only special people are chosen by heart kitties:)

              Love Lyn

            • cathy coleman
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                         This is an email I have dreaded writing but it is time to do so. I want to let you all know that I had to let my Winston go last night. It was very very hard but I know it was the right decision. Ironically, it was not the HCM that got him. It was something that appeared to be unrleated. Winston had slowed down a bit but seemed mostly himself up until this past Saturday when he did not wake me up at the crack of dawn to eat. He ate only a few bites on Sat and on Sunday and seemed very listless and not himself. I brought him on Monday morning to Tufts where they said he was very dehyrated. His kidney values were not good, and both the doctors and I thought this was the inevitable battle between the kidney and the heart which many of you are familiar with I know. They thought they might be able to turn the situation around with adminstering fluids and potassium pills.

                We tried that. He still wasn't eating and still seemed sick. I brought him back in and he stayed the night. When I brought him in, I told them about the "guck" in his left eye. I had wiped out this brown discharge out of his left eye but it seemed to be back.They didn't seem too concerned at the time. The next day though, they called me and said his kidney values were still bad but a little better, but the bad news was he appeared to have either a tumor or a bad infection in his eye. It had gotten much much worse in just one day! He looked like he had been punched in the eye. His left side of his head and eye were swollen. He could barely open it. They recommended that if we go forward with treatment, we do the feeding tube and take out the eye.

                At 15 and with his progressing HCM (which was diagnosed end stage in May of 09 and had progressed as of his last echo in June), I couldn't see doing this. It seemed too much to put him through with no gaurantee of buying him much more than maybe a couple of months. If the tumor was cancer, I couldn't imagine treating at this point.

                Winston was the love of my life in a lot of ways -- a perfect match for me -- affectionate, a constant companion (underfoot even when it was inconvenient!). I live alone and I can't bring msyelf to go home yet. I stayed at my parents' the last 2 nights. I am dreading going home to the empty house and the empty feeling that goes with it.

                I do want to say this though -- you all have been a god send. I appreciate all the kindness and advice and wisdom I've received here over the last year and a half. You have all been through hard times and are so kind and loving. I would like to offer some meds. I just got an order of Plavix and Pimobendan and also have some Enalapril, Spironolactone, and lasix.
                I've benefitted from others generosity on this list in this way and woudl like to give back to someone who needs these. I know the Plavix and Pimo are especially expensive and I know that can be a tough thing! Please email me off list if you're interested and I'll get this all together sometime in the next week or so.

                Thank you again. I always sign this Cathy & Winston. It feels too sad to sign it just Cathy so I'm going to thank you from Winston too who I know would also offer his thanks,
                Cathy & Winston in MA

                At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                  Oh, Cathy, I cried when I read your letter. I am so sorry you lost your special little boy. But you absolutely did the right thing. Treating for cancer is only worthwhile when the kitty is young and in good health otherwise. It would have been cruel to put him through all that at his age and in his condition. He is at peace now, and happy and healthy again -- and I know he's waiting for you at the Bridge. I know we will be reunited with our little ones. It's so hard to let them go, but we have to think of them first.

                  Sincerely, Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too in Toronto

                • Judi Levens
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                    Cathy, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Mr. Winston...I feel that I know you both, and have been "through it" with you. It sounds like it was truly his time, and he gave you a great 15 years, so that's wonderful memories to hold onto. I can totally relate to what you are saying...I will never be prepared to say goodbye to Max either...I can't imagine facing that day. I so hope that you can get through this knowing that there is so much love and sympathy here on the blog for your loss, and knowing in your heart that you gave him a wonderful life full of love and affection; he was a very lucky boy, and I'm sure he knows it. Please consider another kitty...it won't ever be the same, but maybe it will take your mind off of the pain you're feeling right now. Will you post Winston's photo again? Thank you, and big hugs to you...I will light a candle for your boy and you will both be in my thoughts...Judi and Max

                    To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                      So sorry I didnot get this post only thru the round about way. . .Cathy You have to know that you were the very best MOM that could be. Winston was so fortunate to have you in his life. Now he is out of pain and I know the
                      very pain that you must be feeling. It is so hard when you love so deeply BUT with that love you give him freedom from his pain.

                      Prayers for Winstons flight to heaven and for healing for you!

                      Hugs,

                      suze and the bengal gang

                    • Mmayer11
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                        Dear Cathy,
                        I am so deeply sorry to learn of Winston's passing. You and he have put up such a brave fight to keep him well for as long as I can remember. I wish that you will find peace with the loss of your precious little Winston. I have a candle burning for him tonight at...
                        http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=winst
                        Love,
                        Marianna

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
                          Oh Cathy,

                          I'm so, so very sorry to hear that you lost your dearest little Winston. My heart breaks for you. You were such a good mom to him and you gave him so much love and care and kindness. I know that he loved you dearly too and still does. I know how hard it is losing them. I still cry for Snowball. ...but somewhere in my heart I know that they're still here with us, watching over us and staying by our side. So many times I hear others say that they "move on". Maybe they do at some point, but I truly believe that they stay with us a long time after they pass, to make sure we're okay.... and if they do move on, that they can pop back to be by our side in an instant if we ever need them. I talk to Snowball every night and I have to believe that she hears me and is here near me. I just can't see her.

                          I'll light a candle for your dear Mr. Winston tonight. My heart goes out to you and I'm holding you in my prayers too.

                          love,
                          Carol and Angel Snowball
                          and the gang