Questions from far Germany

  • hollunderohwunder
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2010
      Dear people,
      first a have to apologize for my horrible English.
      I'm from Munic in Germany and I am the owner of a 11 year old male cat - his name is "Fortuna", yes really, it is a female name because he came as a "proved" female cat in our house.
      Fortuna was allways a strong and big cat until this sommer when he began to lick stones and eat minerals of his "whizzing box" (don't know the name), and so on. A long story.
      He pretends also to have a Polyzythemia vera, his Hämatokrit was in worst time at 77 %, you will know, what it means. Now with help of several Phlebotomis, we are abot 65 % and we have to go on with treatment. Also we found out that he has HCM. As well his kidneys start stopping their work.
      We are lucky that we found a good veterinarian doctor after an odyssee through clinics and helpless doctors who wanted to eutanize my cat. But Fortuna was allways eating and for my perception he was not ready to die.
      But what I want to ask - the reason I suddenly desided to join this group - our doctor wants to give ASS to avoid thromboses. I think he is right to do this. But ASS is dangoures and he himself is not 100 percent convinced. I have heard that Nattokinase could be a save alternative. In Germany you geht very less information about Nattokinase and this information seems not to be very serious.
      Two questions: Does anybody has longtime experience with Nattokonase and how to use it? And the other question:
      May I put the information I found in your Datas in the database of this German group I join?
      http://gesundeskatzenleben.com/forum/index.php
      I join this group and a CNI-group as well.
      I think they would be very happy If they could benefit from your awarness.
      I know that I will not be able to read every day in this list and to give very much input. But if you want to help us, I can promise that I will inform you about Fortunas further life and our experiences if you are interested.

      Thank you so much.

      Meike and Fortuna
      (Polyzythämie, CNI (maybe acute) HCM,
      medicamentation know: dilzem, Nattokinase and SUC
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2010
        Hi Meike

        I am sorry to hear Fortuna is unwell. If the doctor thinks he is at risk of
        clots (thrombosis) then he would need something for that. I`m not sure
        what ASS is. Is that aspirin?

        The alternatives are aspirin, plavix or nattokinase. I have experience of
        cats on plavix and nattokinase long term with no ill effects whatsoever.
        Aspirin made my cat very poorly and vomit a lot but has worked for others.

        HCM can be stabilised for many years with drugs. If Fortuna is eating,
        purring and getting about she has a quality of life and may have for a long
        time to come.

        Please explain what drug ASS is and I may be able to help you further?