my cat maya

  • john
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2010
      I was told about this list after I posted this message to another feline discussion group.
      So maybe someone can share their experiences/advice with me.
      I have a five year old female cat that came to me as the runt of her litter (that's what I was told), at about 8 weeks old. I also have her sister, who is the picture of good health. after a few weeks she started walking on her hock of her right leg. Her hip drops when she walks. X-rays did not reveal any injury. So for the past few years she sort of sticks to herself( i have 3 other cats), and comes around for meals, and lately , to warm herself by the fire.
      She always breathed "rough", that is ,her whole body would move in rhythm of her breathing which is shallow and rapid. Once in a while she would start to hack up what I assumed would be a hairball. I fed her food formulated for hairballs and got an ointment from the vet to give her to help her pass it. It became a routine thing with her. Back then she was seen by the vet, who was not alarmed.
      Lately she does that hacking up throughout the day, so I took her in to the vet today.
      Chest x-rays revealed an enlarged heart and fluid around her lungs. She was given lasix and digoxin and scheduled for a follow up in 10 days.
      Does any one have any experience they can share with a cat with this type of condition? I honestly cant say this is sudden, She has always acted "off" since day 1. Perhaps now its getting worse though.
      any ideas?
      Thank you
      John Gerace
      Luray, Va
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2010
        HI

        I am sorry to hear Maya is poorly. It sounds like she has gone into
        congestive heart failure and this requires an ultrasound to diagnose by a
        veterinary cardiologist. If you can, please make her an appointment to see one.
        There are several forms of cardiomyopathy, HCM being the most common. The
        treatment entirely depends on what the ultrasound shows. It is a 3d image of
        the heart and shows the wall thickness. It doesn't require sedation and is
        quite quick.

        Lasix is needed for fluid and what dose is she on? Has she had blood tests
        to rule out anaemia? Heart failure can be controlled with medication but
        really needs a cardiologist to prescribe. An XRAY showing an enlarged heart
        can not diagnose the actual condition. She may have HCM and may have a
        congenital defect like a hole in the heart. I have cats with both and they need
        different treatments.

        Please consider the ultrasound. My cardiologist charges less for the
        ultrasound than an Xray.

        Lyn:)

      • Barbie
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2010
          Sorry to hear about your cat, wish I had more time to
          write, but on my way out, but just wanted to be sure
          that you know, NO STEROIDS.  It basically put my cat
          over the edge and I believe that is what killed her forcing
          her into really bad heart failure and damaging her heart.

          The other ladies here can help you, that I know.

          Good luck.
          Barbie

          see in them what I am".

          Gustav Klimt