Squeek update

  • carolroar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2010
      Hi Ann and everyone,

      Thanks so much for all the great information. The ultrasound today didn't give us any answers yet. They said her intestines walls were thickened and it looked like there was spasming in a part of the intestines. They took blood to do titers and we'll find out about that in a couple of days. Squeek's immune system is so very weak, I'm only praying that the corona virus she has doesn't mutate. She's already fighting the thrombocytopenia. We have to have her blood tested every month to check her rbc's and platelets. The vets think that the fact that she got vaccines way too young (first at 4 weeks and again at 8 weeks), and then was dosed with Advantage 3 times from the time she was 4 weeks old to 12 weeks, was what destroyed her immune system...the vaccines too young and all that advantage. The thrombocytopenia she has is an immune triggered kind. She was on prednisone for all of July, August, September and October. They had just weaned her off of it in November and we were due for her routine bloodwork this week... but then this all came up because she felt badly last week so we took her in for a recheck.

      So for now, we don't have any answers yet, but I'm praying and hopeful that it's not FIP and hope it's something we can treat.

      I'll let everyone know as we find out any news.

      Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers and good thoughts for Squeek.

      hugs,
      Carol and Squeek and Angel Snowball
      and the gang

    • toomany_kittys
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2010
        Carol,
        I really hope it's not FIP. Please join the FIP group. It is an excellent group. Most cats test positive for the Corona virus and if they do they don't often develop FIP. What was her titer? It is only when the Corona virus mutates that they develop FIP, but the fact that she's a kitten (with possibly a high titer) is definately a concern. Did they say what her A/G ratio was?
        Here's the link:

        I pray that it's not FIP and that she recovers.
        El