OT: Squeek needs prayers again

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010
      hi everyone,

      I know you're all really involved with your kitties right now, with so many having problems right now, but if when you're saying your prayers tonight for your kitties, you could please include a few for our Squeek, we'd really appreciate it. Now they're telling us that Squeek may have FIP (feline infectious peritonitis). We can't even believe this is happening to this sweet little kitten!

      We just adopted her in June, found out she has a terrible blood disorder called thrombocytopenia, then she was just barely recovering from that and now this past few weeks she's become ill again and they think it's FIP. She tested positive for the feline corona virus and cats with feline corona virus often develop FIP. I looked up FIP and Squeek does have a lot of the symptoms, and given her compromised immune system from the thrombocytopenia, things don't look good. If she has the "wet" form of FIP, she may not have much time left. If it's the "dry" form, she may have a year at best. We're just devastated. And now we're worried about if Misty and the rest of the guys can get it too, because it's very contageous!

      She goes in tomorrow for an ultrasound and more tests. God… if you're listening, please don't let it be that! If there are any prayers out there…Squeek could really use some again now. :-(

      thanks, everyone. I know you're all dealing with a lot, but a few little prayers for Squeek would be so appreciated.

      hugs,
      Carol, Squeek and Angel Snowball
      and the gang
    • Mmayer11
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010
        I lit a candle for Squeek tonight. If any member would like to add one...the group name is "Squeek". Here's the link.
        http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=squee

        BTW I continue to keep a candle burning for Rigsby. He and Ruth continue to struggle mightily. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

        Marianna

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2010
          Hi Carole

          I'm so sorry to hear about your brave little Squeek

          Just one thing to point out which might make things a little easier for you with
          regard to your other cats, FIP is not particularly contagious - Coronavirus is.

          It is the mutated form of Coronavirus that proceeds to become FIP and this is
          where the compromised immune system causes problems.  FIP affects the very
          young, the very old and those who have no immune system.

          This site is a fabulous one with loads of
          informationhttp://www.sockfip.info/about-fip.html

          'Cats with FIP do not appear to be very contagious to cats that they come in
          contact with.Although this has been based mainly on clinical observations, it
          has also been confirmed by laboratory studies.Contact transmission has not been
          observed in experimental settings.Furthermore, cat-to-cat transmission implies
          that every FIPV isolated from a group outbreak of FIP will be genetically
          identical. UC Davis researchers have yet to observe this.However, researchers
          now know that FIPV is present in the feces of some cats with FIP, so horizontal
          transmission is theoretically possible, and may explain the uncommon epizootics
          of FIP where a number of cats in the same environment develop FIP within a days
          or weeks of each other'

          Good luck
          Ann
          Nobilero Devon Rex, Sphynx and Irish Wolfhounds
          www.nobilero.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2010
            Hi Ann and everyone,

            Thanks so much for all the great information. The ultrasound today didn't give us any answers yet. They said her intestines walls were thickened and it looked like there was spasming in a part of the intestines. They took blood to do titers and we'll find out about that in a couple of days. Squeek's immune system is so very weak, I'm only praying that the corona virus she has doesn't mutate. She's already fighting the thrombocytopenia. We have to have her blood tested every month to check her rbc's and platelets. The vets think that the fact that she got vaccines way too young (first at 4 weeks and again at 8 weeks), and then was dosed with Advantage 3 times from the time she was 4 weeks old to 12 weeks, was what destroyed her immune system...the vaccines too young and all that advantage. The thrombocytopenia she has is an immune triggered kind. She was on prednisone for all of July, August, September and October. They had just weaned her off of it in November and we were due for her routine bloodwork this week... but then this all came up because she felt badly last week so we took her in for a recheck.

            So for now, we don't have any answers yet, but I'm praying and hopeful that it's not FIP and hope it's something we can treat.

            I'll let everyone know as we find out any news.

            Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers and good thoughts for Squeek.

            hugs,
            Carol and Squeek and Angel Snowball
            and the gang

          • toomany_kittys
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2010
              Carol,
              I really hope it's not FIP. Please join the FIP group. It is an excellent group. Most cats test positive for the Corona virus and if they do they don't often develop FIP. What was her titer? It is only when the Corona virus mutates that they develop FIP, but the fact that she's a kitten (with possibly a high titer) is definately a concern. Did they say what her A/G ratio was?
              Here's the link:

              I pray that it's not FIP and that she recovers.
              El