RE: [FH] Sub-Cutaneous fluids/kidney HCM question

  • Suze Winn
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2010
      Hi Cathy,

      My Wasabi has been ill for the past several weeks and was finally diagnosed today with Tritrichomonas foetus and feline Coronavirus. He has been vomiting and has had severe diaherrea (?) also. He was hospitalized for a week and just got home on Friday. He has been on some strong meds esp those to get him to eat and I have to give him 250 cc of LR nightly to keep him hydrated. He also has HCM. My vet says that we are treating these systems for now and will monitor him weekly on the excess (if it stays) fluid. I too worry about the fluid buildup. We are not to the lasix meds yet. The extra fluids do seem to perk him up some but it also gets him to want to eat with the other meds added. I feel like I am chasing my tail sometimes with this as I am sure all of the rest of our friends here feel.

      My prayers are with you and Winston. This is so hard but it certainly helps having a place to vent. Hopefully Winston will pick up and feel better soon.

      Hugs,

      Suze and the Bengal gang

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: catherama@...
      Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 17:49:52 -0800
      Subject: [FH] Sub-Cutaneous fluids/kidney HCM question

      Hi eveyrone,

      My Winston went to the hospital today. He hadn't eaten hardly at all this weekend and was really listless. They said he was really dehyrdated. They wanted to keep him and do IV fluids but they also said we could try doing a sub-cue fluid, giving him potassium supplments and cutting the amt of lasix. They gave him the sub cutaenous fluids there and I brough him home. He's had one potassium pill and his regular meds (minus the lasix for today). So far, he's been sleeping the whole time he's been home. He always comes to greet me at the door. It's awful to see him like this. Anyone have experience w/ this? How long does it generally take before they start to feel better? The one other time I had a cat with sub Q fluids he felt better right away but he was not a cat with HCM either.

      Think us good thoughts ok? And thanks for any info anyone has on this,

      Cathy & Winston in MA

      At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston