Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Rigsby update

Expand Messages
  • jruthaitken
    hi Everyone, Yesterday was a terrible day with obstruction at every turn. I called the specialist and felt she was terribly disapproving of me for not
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      hi Everyone,

      Yesterday was a terrible day with obstruction at every turn. I called the specialist and felt she was terribly disapproving of me for not euthanising him the day after I took him home from the hospital. But she is still willing to treat him....and suggested steroids (which I will not give, having had another renal failure cat who died two days after a shot 3 years ago) - she said we need another PCV check, an iron shot and darbo again this week as he has lost a lot of blood.
      I called my local vet - won't give iron (hasn't got iron) because she hasn't had any info from the specialist about it - doesn't want him to have darbo, says it messed up his entire system. But I can see he is weak, anaemic and needs it so I will come to an arrangement about dosage (far less than before) with the specialist and we will do it. I can't see any choice....is there one?

      I got him tons of different foods but he wasn't interested - only wanted dried renal food that he still can't pick up. Then in the night he ate a plate of moist cat food (with AH powder) and tried a little bit this morning.
      He is less wobbly today...but still very very fragile and thin.

      No-one will offer him IV fluids at all. The specialist says spending time in the hospital is counterproductive for him as he is so stressed and unhappy. the local vet says - no more treatment, palliative care only from her perspective.

      I am going to take him in for PCV check today or tomorrow....

      I heard that iron can accelerate infection....it is true that after the darbo injection he went from bad to dramatically worse - the smell from his mouth was utterly foul. Does anytone have any advice or information about this?

      He has had convenia, although I asked for Marbocyl - it isn't working as fast as the marbocyl - is it possible to have both or do I need to wait until next thursday when the two week period for convenia action is up?

      I can still see a visible pulse in his neck...will ask for BP check too.

      he has scratched his face (where the ulcer is) and made it bleed.....

      eyes still have gunk coming out.....

      I am still hanging on for him, just wish I could find someone to help me make him better/recover, rather than tell me to euthanise him or sit back and wait for him to die.
      I am too afraid to change to another vet at this stage - and it has been like this all along - because his history and illnesses are so complicated. It is so hard....but as I have said before, it isn't over till it's over!

      thank you for all your prayers and good wishes. I am absolutely sure they have made a difference.
      best wishes and love to you all
      Ruth (and Rigsbyxx)
    • jruthaitken
      hi everyone, thanks for all the candles and prayers - they are really working!! I didn t post yesterday because I was out most of the day and night travelling
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        hi everyone,

        thanks for all the candles and prayers - they are really working!!

        I didn't post yesterday because I was out most of the day and night travelling across london and back for work. The transport was seriously disrupted due to snow and ice....

        yesterday morning, I took Rigsby to my local vet and PCV is 30% - this doesn't make a lot of sense, because after the last shot of darbo (5th November) it was 28% when tested 11th november. and prior to this 19th november 27% and 23rd november 26%. The answer may lie in the fact that two different labs were used - 11th november and 2nd december my own vet - 27th october, (when it was 16%) 19th and 23rd november specialist labs. so if we tested his blood at the specilaist labs it might be lower...consdierably lower?

        the vet said his blood was like water when she drew it. Iam suprrised he has any left at the rate it has been tested in the last two weeks..they were still testing him on the day they wanted to euthanise at the hospital - what for???

        anyway, I got some comparative numbers of bloods which are (first numbers 2/12; second 11/11)
        RBC 4.7 up from 3.4
        hct 21.9 up from 18.1
        haem 7.8 up from 6.7
        i have no idea what any of this means......apart from he doesn't have enough red blood cells. will pick up full blood results for last few weeks from my vets tomorrow and post.

        my vet doesn't want to treat the anaemia but we have to. She faxed the results to the specialist - she hasn't got in touch yet. I think PCV of 30% (if accurate) does not mean we need more darbo but Rigsby is very very lethargic.
        sometimes I wonder if he has been bleeding due to the anticoagulant?

        he ate well yesterday - another entire chicken breast and he had a few biscuits. but he vomited water today...after drinking. not eating today so far.....
        he is very dehydrated....but no-one will put him on a drip. have to try feline rehydrating salts.

        the vet looked in his mouth and saw what she thought were uremic ulcers - very small, with some inflammation under his tongue. I still think he had an infected rodent ulcer which inflammed the entire of his mouth (as it was all swollen and this has gone down now, together with the smell) and this spiked kidneys values which then led to uremic ulcers because they came on almost overnight following this spike.
        I am still hopeful he can get a little bit better.
        Just wish there was an easier way to treat anaemia and increase hydration.....subqs just aren't enoigh.

        am going to give some slippery elm bark today to try to ease his stomach and buy him some liver....rich in iron!

        best wishes everyone!
        Ruth (and Rigsbyx)
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Hi Ruth Sounds like Rigsby is holding his own and if he s wanting chicken that s great. One thing you didn t mention is if you are giving him taurine
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Ruth

          Sounds like Rigsby is holding his own and if he's wanting chicken that's
          great. One thing you didn't mention is if you are giving him taurine
          supplements since he isn't eating a lot of cat food which contains it. It's
          essential for cats and if he isn't on cat specific food you would need to add some
          to it or give him a supplement.

          Lyn:)

          _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/)


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Westgold
          Hi -- do they have a reason why they won t treat the anemia? A real reason, like that it might cause other problems or something? If there is no real reason,
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi -- do they have a reason why they won't treat the anemia? A real reason, like that it might cause other problems or something? If there is no real reason, can you just go out and buy some iron drops from the drug store and give him a couple everyday? It sure sounds like he needs some!!
            ----- Original Message -----
            From: jruthaitken
            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
            Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 9:13 AM
            Subject: [FH] Rigsby update



            hi everyone,

            thanks for all the candles and prayers - they are really working!!

            I didn't post yesterday because I was out most of the day and night travelling across london and back for work. The transport was seriously disrupted due to snow and ice....

            yesterday morning, I took Rigsby to my local vet and PCV is 30% - this doesn't make a lot of sense, because after the last shot of darbo (5th November) it was 28% when tested 11th november. and prior to this 19th november 27% and 23rd november 26%. The answer may lie in the fact that two different labs were used - 11th november and 2nd december my own vet - 27th october, (when it was 16%) 19th and 23rd november specialist labs. so if we tested his blood at the specilaist labs it might be lower...consdierably lower?

            the vet said his blood was like water when she drew it. Iam suprrised he has any left at the rate it has been tested in the last two weeks..they were still testing him on the day they wanted to euthanise at the hospital - what for???

            anyway, I got some comparative numbers of bloods which are (first numbers 2/12; second 11/11)
            RBC 4.7 up from 3.4
            hct 21.9 up from 18.1
            haem 7.8 up from 6.7
            i have no idea what any of this means......apart from he doesn't have enough red blood cells. will pick up full blood results for last few weeks from my vets tomorrow and post.

            my vet doesn't want to treat the anaemia but we have to. She faxed the results to the specialist - she hasn't got in touch yet. I think PCV of 30% (if accurate) does not mean we need more darbo but Rigsby is very very lethargic.
            sometimes I wonder if he has been bleeding due to the anticoagulant?

            he ate well yesterday - another entire chicken breast and he had a few biscuits. but he vomited water today...after drinking. not eating today so far.....
            he is very dehydrated....but no-one will put him on a drip. have to try feline rehydrating salts.

            the vet looked in his mouth and saw what she thought were uremic ulcers - very small, with some inflammation under his tongue. I still think he had an infected rodent ulcer which inflammed the entire of his mouth (as it was all swollen and this has gone down now, together with the smell) and this spiked kidneys values which then led to uremic ulcers because they came on almost overnight following this spike.
            I am still hopeful he can get a little bit better.
            Just wish there was an easier way to treat anaemia and increase hydration.....subqs just aren't enoigh.

            am going to give some slippery elm bark today to try to ease his stomach and buy him some liver....rich in iron!

            best wishes everyone!
            Ruth (and Rigsbyx)





            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.