Rigsby - still at home

  • jruthaitken
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2010
      hello everyone,
      thank you so much for all the wonderful messages of support.

      This morning I went to my local vet to discuss the situation and she completely agrees that the second shot of darbo changed things - placed an intoleratble strain on his kidneys by inducing a 1% point per day PCV rise for 12 days. she will not prescribe antibiotics or treat him in anyway. she suggests leaving at home without meds and checking tomorrow but we have an appointment for home euthanasia at lunch time.
      He won't drink today...so I am even more worried than ever. I think I may have to give the final dose of morphine, so he can drink...
      this is a nightmare.
      I just want to howl with sadness and frustration - I wish I had trusted my instincts and not allowed him to have such a high dose of darbo, or given the second shot. there is so much conflicting information about this and other epo drugs, so many different protocols....I feel like he has been a 'test case' and now they know not to do this again. there are only two cats on darbo in the UK - surely that suggests a cautious approach.
      I am going to give him some subq now and pray a bit more. If there is no improvement tomorrow we will have to say good bye because he cannot eat. he will starve. He has already gone from 4.47 - 4.4kg in a week and then from 4.1-3.5kg in 4 days. I can't let him suffer....One part of me wants to get on the phone now and say...come and do it today...but another part of me can't face it because it is so final.
      I don't think I can ever go through this again
      Thanks for your support once more....
      Ruth