Re: dangers of darbepoetin

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2010
      I'm not sure, but I think what this warning refers to is the possibility that the darbo or Epogen or whichever one you use, has the potential for the patient to develop antibodies to it and that in turn would affect the immune system greatly.

      This reaction is not the norm though. It's something that might happen, but for the past 10 years that I've been dealing with crf and on the groups, very seldom have I read that folks' cats have had the antibody reaction.

      If that was going to happen, the medicine wouldn't have helped the RBC's to regenerate, like Rigsby's have.

      I think you're worried like we all would be with whatever we try to do for our kitties, so starting a new drug will make that worry even greater, especially when they aren't doing well and start having things getting worse. But hang in there. I'm not a doctor, but have had heart kitties with crf in the past and it just seems like the things you describe about Rigsby sound more to me like they could kidney issues from his high phosphorus.

      One thing that I thought of whas hyperthyroid. Is he hyperT? Sorry...I can't remember if you told us that or not. Hyperthyroid will make them feel really bad too and not want to eat. We're going through that with Misty right now and it's been a real challenge to get her to want to eat.

      Still sending healing thoughts,
      Carol and Angel Snowball and the gang