Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [FH] URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR RIGSBY

Expand Messages
  • Mmayer11
    God! I wish I could help with this, Ruth. I know nothing about this drug. But certainly this change in Rigsby could be attributed to the drug...especially
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      God! I wish I could help with this, Ruth. I know nothing about this drug. But certainly this change in Rigsby could be attributed to the drug...especially since it is meant to raise his numbers, but not this quickly or this high. I hope you will get some good advice from your vets. Do not wait on them. Keep at it, to get answers.
      Good luck and please keep us posted.
      Hugs o Rigsby



      Marianna




      -----Original Message-----
      From: jruthaitken <jruthaitken@...>
      To: feline-heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thu, Nov 11, 2010 6:48 am
      Subject: [FH] URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR RIGSBY





      Hi everyone

      Rigsby was doing great until yesterday when he stopped eating as much - he had really picked up from november 5th onwards, eating 60-80g of food each day. but he vomited lots of food two days ago (it has some fur in it as he has been biting fur out) and then his breath started to smell badly - like a bad tooth or something. I took him to my local vet today for the PCV test and it is now 28% up from 20% one week ago, so I am assuming this rise is just too fast - 13% in 12 days! anyway, it gets worse - urea is now 45.9, up from 38 and creatinine is 732 (my vets lab) up from 519 (specialist lab which runs lower), glucose 28, up from 13. he was tested 27th october the first time.
      he is now lethargic once more, not leaving the bedroom - trying to eat but not able.
      just to remind everyone, he had first shot of darbepoetin october 29th 6.25mcg - PCV increased from 16 -20% by november 4th - I gave another shot 6.25mcg and it is now 28%. I know from this list and other info it is only supposed to rise at 2-3% a week.

      can the rapid surge in PCV cause other systems to worsen? if so, is this temporary? I am so scared I am going to lose him...again.

      please help!
      I am going to email the specialist now - she is not on clinic this week. any advice would be helpful.

      thank you
      Ruth









      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • jruthaitken
      hi Everyone he is doing better on some levels now e.g. eating but is vomiting up his food every three or four days. I spoke to the specialist last night who
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        hi Everyone

        he is doing better on some levels now e.g. eating but is vomiting up his food every three or four days. I spoke to the specialist last night who isn't worried about the creatinine rise to 732 because it was done in-house at my vets and she suggested getting a mini-panel done in two weeks when we check PCV again at the hospital labs - this is where I generally take his bloods for analysis. In the meantime I am to do a glucose curve at home and email them to her. She thinks diabetes might have got worse - more urination, vomiting food (not stomach acid or liquid) means dehydration, which makes creatinine rise etc. She think PCV is okay and last night we didn't give darbo. we will check bloods again 25th November and decide what level of darbo to give the following day.

        I increased his fluids yesterday by 30mls (so he had 130 instead of 100) and he vomited all his food up today, but waited about 10 minutes and returned to his bowl to eat the rest. Last week I increased his fluids by 20mls and he vomited the following day - I wonder whether it is too much for him given his heart issues?

        there are so many things to balance with Rigsby - HCM, diabetes, CRF and now anemia.....by making one thing better I worry i am sometimes making another worse.

        anyway, thanks a lot everyone for all your thoughts and advice. i will keep you posted on his progress.
        best wishes
        Ruth


        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:
        >
        >
        > God! I wish I could help with this, Ruth. I know nothing about this drug. But certainly this change in Rigsby could be attributed to the drug...especially since it is meant to raise his numbers, but not this quickly or this high. I hope you will get some good advice from your vets. Do not wait on them. Keep at it, to get answers.
        > Good luck and please keep us posted.
        > Hugs o Rigsby
        >
        >
        >
        > Marianna
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > -----Original Message-----
        > From: jruthaitken <jruthaitken@...>
        > To: feline-heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
        > Sent: Thu, Nov 11, 2010 6:48 am
        > Subject: [FH] URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR RIGSBY
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Hi everyone
        >
        > Rigsby was doing great until yesterday when he stopped eating as much - he had really picked up from november 5th onwards, eating 60-80g of food each day. but he vomited lots of food two days ago (it has some fur in it as he has been biting fur out) and then his breath started to smell badly - like a bad tooth or something. I took him to my local vet today for the PCV test and it is now 28% up from 20% one week ago, so I am assuming this rise is just too fast - 13% in 12 days! anyway, it gets worse - urea is now 45.9, up from 38 and creatinine is 732 (my vets lab) up from 519 (specialist lab which runs lower), glucose 28, up from 13. he was tested 27th october the first time.
        > he is now lethargic once more, not leaving the bedroom - trying to eat but not able.
        > just to remind everyone, he had first shot of darbepoetin october 29th 6.25mcg - PCV increased from 16 -20% by november 4th - I gave another shot 6.25mcg and it is now 28%. I know from this list and other info it is only supposed to rise at 2-3% a week.
        >
        > can the rapid surge in PCV cause other systems to worsen? if so, is this temporary? I am so scared I am going to lose him...again.
        >
        > please help!
        > I am going to email the specialist now - she is not on clinic this week. any advice would be helpful.
        >
        > thank you
        > Ruth
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
      • Mmayer11
        Thanks for the update, Ruth. I m so glad things are not escalating for Rigsby. The balancing act between all his health issues is certainly tricky for sure.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Thanks for the update, Ruth.
          I'm so glad things are not escalating for Rigsby. The balancing act between all his health issues is certainly tricky for sure. Very stressful for you. I admire you for holding your own against the difficulty. Your vet sounds like a good partner. Please keep us updated.

          Hugs to you and Rigsby...he is a trooper [& so are you!], poor boy.



          Marianna




          -----Original Message-----
          From: jruthaitken <jruthaitken@...>
          To: feline-heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
          Sent: Sat, Nov 13, 2010 10:23 am
          Subject: Re: [FH] URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR RIGSBY






          hi Everyone

          he is doing better on some levels now e.g. eating but is vomiting up his food every three or four days. I spoke to the specialist last night who isn't worried about the creatinine rise to 732 because it was done in-house at my vets and she suggested getting a mini-panel done in two weeks when we check PCV again at the hospital labs - this is where I generally take his bloods for analysis. In the meantime I am to do a glucose curve at home and email them to her. She thinks diabetes might have got worse - more urination, vomiting food (not stomach acid or liquid) means dehydration, which makes creatinine rise etc. She think PCV is okay and last night we didn't give darbo. we will check bloods again 25th November and decide what level of darbo to give the following day.

          I increased his fluids yesterday by 30mls (so he had 130 instead of 100) and he vomited all his food up today, but waited about 10 minutes and returned to his bowl to eat the rest. Last week I increased his fluids by 20mls and he vomited the following day - I wonder whether it is too much for him given his heart issues?

          there are so many things to balance with Rigsby - HCM, diabetes, CRF and now anemia.....by making one thing better I worry i am sometimes making another worse.

          anyway, thanks a lot everyone for all your thoughts and advice. i will keep you posted on his progress.
          best wishes
          Ruth

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > God! I wish I could help with this, Ruth. I know nothing about this drug. But certainly this change in Rigsby could be attributed to the drug...especially since it is meant to raise his numbers, but not this quickly or this high. I hope you will get some good advice from your vets. Do not wait on them. Keep at it, to get answers.
          > Good luck and please keep us posted.
          > Hugs o Rigsby
          >
          >
          >
          > Marianna
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > -----Original Message-----
          > From: jruthaitken <jruthaitken@...>
          > To: feline-heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
          > Sent: Thu, Nov 11, 2010 6:48 am
          > Subject: [FH] URGENT HELP NEEDED FOR RIGSBY
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > Hi everyone
          >
          > Rigsby was doing great until yesterday when he stopped eating as much - he had really picked up from november 5th onwards, eating 60-80g of food each day. but he vomited lots of food two days ago (it has some fur in it as he has been biting fur out) and then his breath started to smell badly - like a bad tooth or something. I took him to my local vet today for the PCV test and it is now 28% up from 20% one week ago, so I am assuming this rise is just too fast - 13% in 12 days! anyway, it gets worse - urea is now 45.9, up from 38 and creatinine is 732 (my vets lab) up from 519 (specialist lab which runs lower), glucose 28, up from 13. he was tested 27th october the first time.
          > he is now lethargic once more, not leaving the bedroom - trying to eat but not able.
          > just to remind everyone, he had first shot of darbepoetin october 29th 6.25mcg - PCV increased from 16 -20% by november 4th - I gave another shot 6.25mcg and it is now 28%. I know from this list and other info it is only supposed to rise at 2-3% a week.
          >
          > can the rapid surge in PCV cause other systems to worsen? if so, is this temporary? I am so scared I am going to lose him...again.
          >
          > please help!
          > I am going to email the specialist now - she is not on clinic this week. any advice would be helpful.
          >
          > thank you
          > Ruth
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >









          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.