Oscar had another 'turn'

  • marciahibberd
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2010
      Hello everyone

      I hope this email finds you and your furbabies well.

      Oscar had another 'episode' this morning. The cardio thinks it might be a combination of heart rhythm problems (not enough blood to brain) and a clot.

      He's okay now but a bit depressed. We're upping his dose of atenolol to twice a day, which will hopefully stop his recent 5am wake-ups.

      I'm in a state of absolute terror that he'll just drop down. Does anyone have any advice to help me cope emotionally, and stop following the poor boy around?

      Thanks
      Marcia
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2010
        Hi Marcia; I can only relate my experience. When Max had CHF I was just like you; totally freaked out, following him around and thinking "the worst" every moment. Besides driving myself crazy, I could tell that Max didn't like it. I believe that our cats can "hear" our thoughts and I was aware that I was stressing him. I decided, while he was still very weak, to just lie near him and read a book to keep him company, and to send him loving thoughts and strengthening thoughts regularly. I noticed a difference in both of us right away. I also started thinking to myself that I have no idea how long I'll have him, so I'll just love him very much every minute...that was 3 years ago! We got very lucky...But, it might help you to adopt an attitude like that...there is not much you can do for him besides love him and provide his meds and medical care. He will do the best he can...
        take care...hugs to both of you...Judi and Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2010
          Dear Marcia,

          I would be also. In fact I was in just the same state when Maxie, my 6 yr old briard, started having grand mal seizures. I was afraid to leave him for a moment. Judi gave you some *very* sage advise. Try to heed it, if you can. It will help both you and Oscar. I'm sure he is as attached to you as he is to you...if not more! He will sense your fear and internalize it...it is what animals do best, that is one reason why they make such wonderful companions. Stay calm and strong for both of you. Sit with him while reading or listening to restful music...Mozart is good for this as well as Vivaldi. Or find some healing music for you both to listen to.

          Hugs to you both, and much love.

          Marianna