Re: [FH] OT...Maru the cat

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2010
      I know that everybody believes their kitty is unique, but there truly is something different about the Scottish Folds. I've been owned by all kinds of cats in my life, including other purbreds -- but there is something very special about the Folds. We talk about it all the time on the Scottish Fold list. It is hard to describe, and you can't really understand until you live with one. But they are really different from other cats, and endearing in so many little ways that really can't even be put into words. For example, they are the only cats who can Buddha-sit right in the middle of the floor. Most cats can sit up if they lean on something, but the Folds do not need to lean on anything. They will sit that way for an hour, even take a bath in that position. Cute as heck!
      From: westgold@...
      Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:45:24 -0400

      Yes, Maru is the greatest! On the Scottish Fold Fanciers list we share her clips all the time. Of course, Scottish Folds are the cutest cats ever!!

      Take care -- Michelle & Tigger Too (A proud foldie!) in Toronto
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2010
        There used to be a lot of problems, because people bred a folded-ear kitty to another folded-ear kitty. This was doubling up on the natural mutation, and caused things like club feet, shortened stiff tails, something like spina bifida, etc. However this was discovered quite quickly, and ethical breeders then started to breed folded Folds to only straight-earred Folds or ASH or BSH, the two acceptable outcrosses. Each kitten has a 50% chance of getting the precious gene for foldedness, bcause only one parent is folded, but the straights are just as valuable, since they are needed in a proper breeding program. It is very rare these days to see a deformed Fold, unless a breeder has bred improperly, a Folded to a Folded. Some still do, because the Foldeds can sell for twice as much or more than the straights. So unethical breeders who only care about the money and not the health of the breed still continue to do this sometimes. But Folds have NEVER had any kind of hearing problems. All problems caused by improper breeding were skeletal. We have been trying to get FIFE and GCCF to take another look at the breed now, now that most breeders do breed ethically and most of the problems have been bred out since the 1960s when they were first discovered -- almost 50 years of proper breeding has really changed things. It is a very interesting breed to work with, I bred them for 20 years. Until HCM popped up in my line. Scottish Folds are unfortunately now in the top 10 for HCM because breeders didn't screen their kitties when it started popping up in the 90s. Very sad.
        From: westgold@...
        Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:45:24 -0400

        Yes, Maru is the greatest! On the Scottish Fold Fanciers list we share her clips all the time. Of course, Scottish Folds are the cutest cats ever!!

        Take care -- Michelle & Tigger Too (A proud foldie!) in Toronto
        I just wanted to cheer you up...I found this the other day and I spent at least an hour laughing at this cat, Maru, I believe it's a Scottish Fold and it's owned by a woman in Japan...Maru is hilarious. Google Maru and you will get YouTube clips...there are several, and there are some full film clips made up of the YouTube spots...take a minute...if this doesn't make you laugh nothing will!

      • Mmayer11
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2010
          I am owned by one, Pussapinia. Did not know she was a Scottish Fold until I saw Maru. As a youngster she appeared one day at my farm. She very soon adopted me. She now lives full time as one of our indoor kitties. Pussapinia looks just like Maru except that her "beauty mark" is just a tiny speck beside one side of her little pink nose.Adorable!

          Marianna

          To: judi_john@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          From: westgold@...
          Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:45:24 -0400

          Yes, Maru is the greatest! On the Scottish Fold Fanciers list we share her
          clips all the time. Of course, Scottish Folds are the cutest cats ever!!

          Take care -- Michelle & Tigger Too (A proud foldie!) in Toronto
          I just wanted to cheer you up...I found this the other day and I spent at
          least an hour laughing at this cat, Maru, I believe it's a Scottish Fold and
          it's owned by a woman in Japan...Maru is hilarious. Google Maru and you will get
          YouTube clips...there are several, and there are some full film clips made up of
          the YouTube spots...take a minute...if this doesn't make you laugh nothing will!

          Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your reply will
          benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo!
          Groups Links