Saddle Thrombus recovery

  • marcon1932
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2010
      Our male 3-year old 'Basil' has made a complete recovery from a sudden paralysis of his back legs and tail. I found him crying in pain in the garden having only recently gone out to hunt (we live in isolated wild country). The vet was soon looking at him and assumed an injury but nothing on the x-ray. He gave a steroid jab.

      The pain had passed off quite soon but he was very cold and particularly cold back legs. I was soon researching online and it didn't take long to make my own diagnosis of a Saddle Thrombus. It was the weekend and he wouldn't eat or drink but I was relieved to see him drag himself over to a litter tray to urinate, though he had to do it lying down. A promising sign that the bladder still had some control.

      On returning to the vet on Monday I was given the usual advice that the outlook was bleak and if he was still paralyzed he would be better put to sleep. I didn't want to take such hasty action and took him home again. By the middle of the week his legs were getting warm again and he started to try and move around, crawling on his knees. his tail began to twitch a little and he started to eat and drink. He made great efforts to be clean at his toilet.

      I started him on a 75mg Aspirin twice a week. Also a Taurine tablet quite often.

      To jump forward three weeks, he was up and walking again. He began by walking on his knuckles and to avoid grazes I wrapped his feet lightly in 2" sellotape. This also helped to prevent the feet folding. In another week he was walking properly on his pads and tail up and swishing around! He has been a little weak but now really completely his old self and walking as before. Stronger every day. As I write this he has been out hunting all day...coming in to sleep at night.

      I really want to say this. If your cat is incontinent after this nasty thrombosis it may be that it will be too difficult to keep him alive. But give him a week before euthanasia and see if there is an improvement. My vet is amazed at Basil's total recovery. I am hoping the Aspirins will wash away any clots which are still in his heart.