Re: New to group and wondering about asthma along with HCM

  • D
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2010
      Hi there, my kitty Ivy has HCM and asthma. Also my kitty that just passed, Nubis, had HCM and asthma also. I gave them their flovent inhaler (not the rescue inhaler ventolin), a puff in the morning and a puff a night. That seemed to control their asthma very well. I rarely gave them their rescue inhaler, because you want to be careful about not speeding up their heart if it's their heart bothering them and not the asthma.

      Ivy does well on her flovet inhaler. I have the aerokat tube that I stick the inhaler on the end of and then give her the puff with the little mask over her mouth. She is very used to it and it doesn't bother her at all anymore.

      Also- please remember to never have them give your cat a steriod shot. Cats with HCM can never receive those- it sends them into heart failure, and almost killed my Nubis about 2 years ago. So never let them give your cat a steriod shot. Control the asthma with the flovent inhaler.

      Donna and Angel Nubis, and Ivy