Oscar update

  • marciahibberd
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2010
      Hello everyone

      We saw the cardiologist for the first time today.

      The echocardiogram showed the early signs of HCM - he has a bulge in the middle of his heart. However, there is as yet no compensatory increase in the size of the top chambers of his heart, which is great news. His BP is on the high side of normal.

      His ECG shows that he has a really irregular heartbeat - at times, the line was all over the place. We don't know yet why it's happening, and it's not explained entirely by the HCM.

      We've agreed to start a treatment regimen, gradually going up from an initial dose of 0.1ml atenolol in syrup. She's concerned that starting on a large dose could affect his heart rhythm. We don't know yet if he collapses due to fast heart rhythm or a slow down that didn't show on today's ECG.

      Either way, we're not yet out of the woods - starting the meds and 'waiting and seeing'. The next step would be a longer-term ECG.

      Best wishes
      Marcia and Oscar