RE: [feline-heart] Doms recheck was today and....

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000

      This is good news, especially after 5 months.

      > Dom is
      > going to continue on the Dilitiazem and is going to start Endocard
      > (not sure of the spelling as I left the vets paper at the drug
      > store). I think another name for this may be Vasotec as this is what
      > the prescription was written for. Anyone have any info on side
      > effects etc. of this drug?

      Enacard is also known as Vasotec & Enalapril. Lynx is on this (1 mg/day, I
      believe). As I recall, it dilates the blood vessels, making the heart work
      less to pump against the pressure of the vessels. Lynx has done just fine
      on it with no side effects that we can detect. Of course, there are the
      usual cautions against potential extra strain on the kidneys.

      > Dom will have a recheck by our regular vet
      > and blood work done in 2 weeks. Then another regular vet checkup in 4
      > months and back for another ultrasound in 7-8 months. I was pleased
      > to hear that the cardiologist lists him as stable.

      Excellent! Nice work, you 2 :-)

      --
      JR
      & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
        Our cardiologist said that the Enacard will keep the heart from
        getting stiff. He said it will help keep it from scarring. So glad to
        hear that it isn't something that causes big reactions. We tried the
        baby aspirin but had to stop it as Dom couldn't tolerate it.
        Hopefully, this 1 will go smoothly. The pharmacist will have it
        formulated into a tuna liquid and I will pick it up tomorow.

        One thing that did change was his heart rate. It dropped which is a
        plus too. I think the reason was because on the first visit, we had a
        long wait and had a dog seated next to us that wanted to play with
        Dom. He was in a carrier but the dog just wanted to be too friendly.
        Dom is not used to being around a dog and this guy had a cat at home
        that he loved. So, today, we went in and they took us right away. He
        didn't have the chance to get stressed in the waiting room. Of
        course, he hates to leave the house so he was stressed just taking
        the hour drive to get there! LOL

        I feel releived that the appointment went so well. I was worrying
        that he may not get a good report but I rather expected him to do ok.
        We have noticed for the past 4 or 5 weeks, that he is alot more
        lively again. He is jumping up on places where he shouldn't be and
        running around the house. And we will be glad to settle for this as
        he was barely moving 5 months ago!

        Hope all of your kitties get a good report too.

        Jeanne & Dom

        --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Jonathan Rosenberg" <jr40@r...>
        > > Today was 5 months since Doms first ultrasound when he was
        diagnosed
        > > with HCM. Todays ultrasound showed that his left heart wall is
        > > exactly the same measurement as 5 months ago. There weren't any
        > > positive changes but the cardiologist was pleased that it hadn't
        > > gotten worse. Everything checked out to be the same as before.
        >
        > This is good news, especially after 5 months.
        >
        > > Dom is
        > > going to continue on the Dilitiazem and is going to start Endocard
        > > (not sure of the spelling as I left the vets paper at the drug
        > > store). I think another name for this may be Vasotec as this is
        what
        > > the prescription was written for. Anyone have any info on side
        > > effects etc. of this drug?
        >
        > Enacard is also known as Vasotec & Enalapril. Lynx is on this (1
        mg/day, I
        > believe). As I recall, it dilates the blood vessels, making the
        heart work
        > less to pump against the pressure of the vessels. Lynx has done
        just fine
        > on it with no side effects that we can detect. Of course, there
        are the
        > usual cautions against potential extra strain on the kidneys.
        >
        > > Dom will have a recheck by our regular vet
        > > and blood work done in 2 weeks. Then another regular vet checkup
        in 4
        > > months and back for another ultrasound in 7-8 months. I was
        pleased
        > > to hear that the cardiologist lists him as stable.
        >
        > Excellent! Nice work, you 2 :-)
        >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Jeanne & Dom
        >
        > --
        > JR
        > & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
      • Miguel &Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
          Great for Dom! And he has a good mommy too! We are sending many positive
          thoughts Dom's way!

          Purrs to all,
          Pum, Max and Linda