what level of noisy breathing is tolerable?

  • MarthaH
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
      Fred seems to have some moments where he will occasionally make a noisy breathing or wheezing sound, maybe has to do with his body position, maybe it's just momentary...and this is while on the Lasix....I'm wondering if this is ok. It's not like it's constant, most of the time his breathing sounds good and it's been very slow the whole time it seemed like the fluids returned ove rthe past month.

      as I just posted, I gave hiim a TID dose of lasix a few days ago but I think that was too dehydrating for him and at least that one day, not sure it did more than the BID did...today I'm just trying to rehydrate him, am afraid to give him subq fluds again cuz he used to go limp everytime I did--although as I just posted, he's now gone limp for no apparently reason, on all legs.

      but just wondering if all of your cats being treated have perfect breathing, or is a certain amount of noise that is tolerable....?
    • Allyson Spring
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
        Martha I am curious about this too. My vet and cardiologist said that noisy breathing is usually upper airway or respiratory system not cardiac in nature. That cardiac was rate and and effort but mostly rate.

        What have others been told? Boomer is on 12.5 lasix every 8 hours (he is a 16 Lb cat). His noises scare me. So i know what you are going through. Where do you think the noises are coming from?

        Best,

        Allyson

        Sent from my iPad

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
          Hi

          When Milli and Trixi have noisy breathing, it's usually a stuffy nose and
          an infection. I always get it checked out though and it invariably is
          another cold! Does anyone elkse notice HCM cats get more colds than usual? Maybe
          it's just we have so many cats it goes round and round. Tests always come
          back as a mild calici.

          LYn

        • Allyson Spring
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
            What antibiotic clears it up? Boomer seems to have perpetual colds sneezing several times a day and congestion. He just finished 5 days of zithromax. He hopped into bed and sneezed and still makes noise though you have to stick your head in his face :)

            Allyson

            Sent from my iPad

            On Oct 4, 2010, at 4:23 AM, elfinmyst@... wrote:

            Hi

            When Milli and Trixi have noisy breathing, it's usually a stuffy nose and
            an infection. I always get it checked out though and it invariably is
            another cold! Does anyone elkse notice HCM cats get more colds than usual? Maybe
            it's just we have so many cats it goes round and round. Tests always come
            back as a mild calici.

            LYn

          • Judi Levens
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
              Hi Martha; how is Fred doing now? I would be very worried with these latest symptoms and I would take him to the emergency vet just to be safe...there is a chance he threw a clot (I am definitely no vet, but my cat had a similar experience) and if so he needs medical help...especially if he's having noisy breathing. I don't want to alarm you, and maybe he is just fine, but to be safe I would bring him in if it's possible...he's a real soldier and so are you! good luck...I hope it's not anything bad. take good care and big hugs from Judi and Max

              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
              From: marticakh@...
              Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 01:44:06 +0000
              Subject: [FH] what level of noisy breathing is tolerable?