Fred can't walk...first toes started curling over, now legs are limp, all 4

  • MarthaH
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2010
      Hi
      I had a few scares with Fred past few days--one day I gave him 3 doses of Lasix 1/4 tab, had been giving him 2 doses. His breathing was pretty good, but then I found blood on his diaper (vague pink spot) on Friday. Took hiim in, not the normal vet...she squeezed his penis said it looked a little irritated but all fine, squeezed bladder or somesuch and said the fluid was clear. Did not do a urine test. The next day, ysterday, I found more blood on the diaper and a small coagulated piece. I called her, she was on call and she was not very helpful but said bring him in today if it's worse. Well today there was a faint pink spot this morning but nothing more.

      On Friday at the vets Fred was walking and his left back toe started curling under, like he couldn't spread his toes, he kept walking on it and sometimes the right back leg would do that. Then yesterday BOTH feet were doing it, although he kept walking (to the kitchen to eat) I was having to walk behind him to balance his hips because the club feet were making him fall, although he kept walking with them--they did not seem to hurt. A cat sitter who was new was over to meet me and Fred and she said it was a neurological thing.

      I had given him his 8th dose of B12, a shot, on Friday morning, not sure if that could have done this, or perhpas the dehydration. In the past he always walks worse when his blood sugar is high, and they were for a few days this week...but never this toe curling under thing.

      And today he could not walk at all, can't stand up on any of his legs. He doesn't seem to be in pain, has been content, has eaten. I didn't give him a lasix at all yesterday since the cat sitter went on about how dehydrated he was. Today I gave him one dose only. His breathing is fine...and he's beeen resting and looking peaceful and also alert...

      what can this be? Not sure what to do? I did mention it to the on call vet and she said it sounded neurological...that was yesterday when I just metnioned the toe curling...

      anyway.. my poor guy, things are just starting to break down. Not sure if I should just not worry about this. The on call vet said that if it were her cat she would put him to sleep.

      I don't think this is apinful. :(