Nattokinase and Cerebral Bleeds

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
      HI

      Milli and Trixi went to the cardiologist yesterday and saw a new intern.
      She expressed concern that Milli was on Nattokinase, quoting references to
      increased risk of intercranial bleedings. These were in humans as there have
      been no clinical trials in cats.

      I was advised to stop the nattokinase and am torn now on what to do. Is
      there anyone with information on this? My own vet knew Milli was on natto and
      the only thing he could think of when I rang for advice was is if it
      dissolves thrombin(clots) it could theoretically dissolve a blood clot in a brain
      artery which was holding a small plug in a broken capillary and allow a
      bleed.

      Please can anyone offer any professional and helpful advice from their own
      cardiologists or research.

    • carolroar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
        HI Lyn,

        The same warnings apply to any blood thinners, coumadin, aspirin, plavix, etc., and it also applies to many anti-depressent drugs, like prozac, which they do give to animals too. I think it's more the cardiologist doesn't really know that much about nattokinase. I know the cardiologist my mother goes to, poo-poo's it every time I try to talk to him about it. My opinion is that the nattokinase is much safer than any of the prescription blood thinners, because it doesn't have the side effect of being toxic to the liver like the others do.

        There are some research files in the group's file section. They're pretty technical, but they can give you more info.

        Carol and Angel Snowball
        and the gang

      • C.R.
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
          hi everyone,

          I did a quick google search for nattokinase and cerebral bleeding, and what I found was that the warning of cerebral bleeding coincides with those who take nattokinase with other blood thinners. Ever since I've been aware of nattokinase, for the past 3 years, I've always been told and tell people that you DO NOT take nattokinase with other blood thinners. If you're working with a vet who knows about the mechanism of nattokinase and other thinners and they prescribe it, then follow exactly how they say to take it. DON'T combine two blood thinners on your own.

          Also, the instance of cerebral hemorage in humans who took nattokinase WITH other thinners, was done on very high doses of nattokinase. We don't dose our kitties anywhere near a dangerous dose like that.

          There is some good reference to this on this page by Dr. Ray Sahelian. It is scarey, but it's pertinent information to know.

          http://www.raysahelian.com/nattokinase.html

          Always, always do lots of research on your own. Don't ever just take one person's word for something. After you get all the info you can, then you can make as learned a decision as you can whether or not to give or do something for your cat.

          Carol
        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
            After Dr Oz did part of his show on Natto Wednesday, I asked my friend from Japan about it. She said that everybody there eats it everyday. But Japanese people are different, in that they probably don't take an aspitin everyday, and probably don't take other supplements that also thin the blood. I take several supplements that thin the blood -- including Bilberry for my retinas, omega-3 fish oils, etc, and I also take 3-4 aspirin everyday for my arthritis. So I'm loaded up. Yet I have no problem. If I should get a little cut, it clots right away. If I saw a lot of bleeding from a little cut, I'd cut back on some of these things for sure. After seeing that show with Dr Oz, I want to start taking natto, but i'm going to do some research first -- thanks to those who posted links. I know I'd hate the taste of eating it, so I'd have to take the pills.