Re: [FH] Natto on Dr Oz

  • carolroar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010
      Yes, natto is really nasty tasting stuff. I've tried it, and it was really awful. It's made from fermented soy, and yes, it does have all the vitamins, including the vit. K, intact in it's raw form. You wouldn't be able to eat enough of raw Natto for it to be used therapeutically for heart problems. That said, having a steady diet of natto over time, like any healthy food, will help keep your body, including your heart, healthy. Our bodies do need some amount of vitamin K in order to have healthy clotting factors, but for people and kitties with heart problems like HCM, the vitamin K isn't a good thing.

      I saw that episode of Dr. Oz. I like that he offers info about a lot of different things, but what he doesn't do is go into much detail about some of the things he talks about...like the fact that Natto has vitamin K in it, so it's not recommended to eat it if you're dealing with clotting problems. It's just like people who take Coumadin to thin the blood, aren't supposed to eat, if at all, foods with vitamin K in them (things like green leafy veggies and cruciferous veggies like broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage). Dr. Oz only goes into a small part of the health benefits of some of the things he talks about, which really leaves the audience there and at home to have to do more research to make sure the things he suggests are okay for them. He did the same thing today when talking about taking things like soy isoflavones, black cohosh and chasteberry for PMS and as "natural hormone replacement" for menopause, because those supplements contain phytoestrogens that act like estrogen in the body. He made a very quick reference to say that if you're dealing with breast cancers, that those wouldn't be appropriate to take, but he didn't really go into it in detail.

      So just like anything you see on TV or read on the internet, it's always best to do your own research before deciding to start any kind of supplement or medication, to make sure it's safe and appropriate for you... or your kitties. Fortunately, there's a lot of good info about vitamin K free Nattokinase (the enzyme found in natto) and how it's beneficial for heart patients, human or furry.

      Carol and Angel Snowball
      and the gang