getting rid of fluids

  • etakolam
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2010
      Hyperthyroid and HCM 15 yo kitty is on lasix. Sometimes vomits, but I think last night he chucked up fluid (no food, no color, just clear substance--very different from digestive throwup). He had been lethargic for a few days and once he got rid of the fluid, he was chipper, active, his old self etc. Has anyone else had a cat do the same thing? It seems to help him, but are there any other dangers related to it. Just curious he is due back to the vet in a few weeks, so I would rather wait until then than take him in now if it can wait.
    • Monika Delle
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2010
        Has he had blood work done recently? Clear vomit
        is a pretty classic sign of stomach acid in a CRF
        (chronic renal failure) kitty. Since he's been
        lethargic you might want to take him in sooner
        than later. Or it could be that he needs to eat
        more frequently. It's really hard to say without
        blood work, but with a kitty on diuretics I'd be
        extremely vigilant with the kidneys.

        Monika

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2010
          Hi

          Sometimes mine bring up a bit of frothy fluid which is saliva, often with
          grass in it. They can also vomit after a drink of water. If it was a one off
          and kitty is absolutely fine, I`d just rign the vet to report it to be on
          the safe side. If it happens again, I would see the vet straight away. Are
          you sure it came from the stomach and wasn't coughed from the lungs. That
          would be an emergency.

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2010
            This is right, Lyn. When they spit up some frothy liquid it usually means there is a hairball -- you can expect it in the next day or two.

            When I found my little girl dying of HCM back in 1995, she was sitting in a big puddle of fluid that I guess she was trying to cough out to save herself. It was just clear liquid, but it was slightly thick, like runny maple syrup, only clear. I didn't notice any smell or stickiness, but then I was in a panic trying to save her. My first impulse was to hold her upside down to try to drain the fluids, but now I think she was already dead by then. I also tried mouth-to-nose, but she was definitely gone by the time I got to that. This was my first experience with hCM, sudden death. I didn't even know what it was until this happened.