Re: Mellie update on MRI

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 2010
      Lisa, we've never used transdermal meds but I have heard good reports regarding them. When Tootsie was on pain meds - gabapentin and tramadol - I was never sure if they were helping or not as she'd seem to get her legs mixed up, would almost cross her front legs and trip on them, and I've seen Mellie do this a few times too now that she's on gabapentin. We've lower the dose of gaba from 0.5 once daily to 0.1 twice daily and she's not tripping now, but we're not sure she's getting pain relief at this low dose. The tramadol, with Tootsie, just seemed to make her feel yuck. Perhaps the transdermal doesn't have that effect?

      carol and mellie

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Clarizia Blueyes <lclarizia@...> wrote:

      > Carol -
      >
      > Our Thundercat (exact age unknown, but at least 13) has idiopathic seizures
      > (probably a brain tumor) and severe arthritis. We give him transdermal
      > tramadol for the arthritis, and holy cow did it ever work wonders! He went
      > from barely being able to move to running around the house. It did take a
      > few weeks to find the dosing which worked the best for him, but it's working
      > extremely well.
      >
      > Lisa
      >
      > On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Carol <czyonov@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Mellie had her MRI on Thursday, did well with the anesthetic which had been
      > > of great concern to us. Good news and bad news. Good news is that she does
      > > not have a spinal tumor. Bad news is that the suspected spinal lumbo-sacral
      > > disk area is much worse than suspected. The spinal cord is being compressed
      > > on 3 sides - 2 sides can be dealt with but not 3. It is actually being
      > > pushed over out of place. The disks which we looked at (up into the thoracic
      > > area) have all lost their fluid or moisture and appear dry. She also has
      > > alot of arthritis. Something about how the cord would be covered with the
      > > dried disk material which would have to be scraped off and on an old kitty
      > > this could do more harm than good - leaving her paralyzed. This neuro dr I
      > > really like as he is the one who said "old age isn't an illness!" so I truly
      > > feel he'd fight for her if he thought if would help her. I asked him what to
      > > do, he said if she were his he would try to keep her as comfortable as
      > > possible and not do surgery. That was good enough for us and that is our
      > > plan.

    • JudithG
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2010
        How about considering alternative medicine, consulting with your neuro of course, such as acupuncture?

        What Mellie could use is a kitty chiropractor but I really don't think there are any. One of my chiropractors does acupuncture on humans and cats and dogs (sorry, she's in Tel Aviv)and even my conservative vet suggests acupuncture now and then for pain relief.

        Judith
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 28, 2010
          Mellie does get acupuncture but thanks for the suggestion. However, her acupuncturist is spending more and more of his time in another part of the country (US). I've heard cats do not sit still for chiropractic and wonder if that is true?

          carol and mellie

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "JudithG" <goldbe50@...> wrote:

          > How about considering alternative medicine, consulting with your neuro of course, such as acupuncture?
          >
          > What Mellie could use is a kitty chiropractor but I really don't think there are any. One of my chiropractors does acupuncture on humans and cats and dogs (sorry, she's in Tel Aviv)and even my conservative vet suggests acupuncture now and then for pain relief.
          >
          > Judith

        • JudithG
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
            There are cat chiropractors? Nice to know.

            As for staying still, it would depend on the cat. Let's see, as of 10 days ago, I have 4 cats (newcomer). It's doubtful the new boy would take to being manipulated although he loves to be touched and groomed, he doesn't go in for "interferring with his body." My Portia, well, when she had her teeth cleaned, I had the groomer give her a Furminator treatment when she was still out cold, no other way to do it. Little Ruby, of the heart murmur, no way, squirms like an eel.

            But Rosalynde, well, you can do anything to Rosalynde. My vet had to x-ray her ears a while back. So he put her on her back and turned her head in one direction. Took the x-ray. Turned her head the other way. Took the x-ray. She had an echo cardiogram and the cardiologist sprayed the gunk on her. No reaction. He shook her before. No reaction. I push pills down her throat, she purrs.

            Depends on the cat.

            How about a holistic vet?

            Judith
          • Carol
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010
              When at the vet, Mellie tries to get behind me and will attempt to stand on the waistband of my pants! She does tolerate the acupuncture but I doubt she'd tolerate chiropractic. Perhaps we'll ask acuvet about it tomorrow.

              We used to have Susie who would let anyone do anything - except me, wouldn't let me give her a pill. I asked the vet why she wouldn't let me do things, vet said You are her mom and moms aren't supposed to do scary things! She was a sweet old girl.