Fred at vet today: Kidneys IMPROVED, but looks like lung fluid, body temp is 95

  • MarthaH
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2010
      So just an update. AFter phone call with the new cardiologist, I went to the vet. She thought that because Fred was NOT breathing fast that it could be asthma/bronchitis, rather than fluid in lungs. So we went to vet and did xrays and turns out it looks like there is fluid. Very cloudy and no pure black and one whole lobe very white (collapsed)

      Oddly, his kidney values DRAMATICALLY improved since July (BUN dropped to 3 from 5--shocking, and CREAT dropped from 90 to 71--and this despite being on Lasix and basically being dehydrated). The vet was very surprised.

      The bad news is that his body temperature was 95 degrees and the vet said that it could mean he is dying--but that it would probably mean a peacful in your sleep death and it could happen in next 24-48h....does anyone know anything about low body temperature?

      ...but then again he said that he could last another year..

      Fred is very weak and sleepy, and his blood sugar shot up which also makes him weak. His breathing is not too bad and still very very slow. I went ahead and gave him a Lasix since his kidneys are better than expected.

      the vet did give me the euthanasia lecture...although he said that he didn't think that Fred was in pain or suffering, but was old and very weak and feeling bad in general.

      I'm going to be with him all weekend and talk to the cardiologist on Tues when she's back, unless she gets my voicemail and calls me before to see if it makes sense to do an echo. He's very very lethargic tonight, but he ate and drank, so go figure..but very tired/weak. Has moments of alertness (picks his head up, ears prick up, looks around, has a bite to eat that I bring up to him...but mostly very unresponsive sleepy.

      any thoughts, comments?
    • C.R.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2010
        That low body temp is hypothermia. It can be caused from a number of things, including heart issues, renal failure and hypothyroid too. It's important to keep him warm and quiet so he can save his body heat. The reason he's lethargic and weak may be from the low body temp. I'd keep him in a warm place, cover him with a warm blanket or towel, or bundle a blanket around him, like him in the middle of a doughnut. It's important to keep his body temperature up. Though 95 isn't considered dire, it's in the mild range, but you don't want it to get any lower.

        Here's more info about hypothermia.
        http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/cardiovascular/c_ct_hypothermia
        http://www.cat-world.com.au/hypothermia-in-cats

        Do a google search for - low body temperature in cats - and you'll come up with some really good sites, including the two above.

        Sending healing thoughts to Fred.

        and the gang
      • Wendy Solem
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2010
          Oh my God I am so sorry to be reading this. Although this is such sad news, I am
          grateful that he not in pain...it's a real blessing. I haven't had to deal with
          your particular issue but want you to know that I am thinking of you and
          sending positive thoughts. So glad that you are off this weekend and can be
          with him I wish I could help. Just know that we are thinking of you.
          Wendy "Tino" and "Joey"

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
            Hi Martha; what a time you and Fred have had! I'm so sorry about the vets latest news. It sounds like Fred is winding down, but at 20 so maybe it's just his time...you've been able to help him have a long, wonderful life. It's also great news that he's not in any pain. If it were me, I would just spend as much time as possible with him and hope for the best...he may still last for a while. If things change you'll know and if he needs your help you'll know too. Big hugs to both of you...I'm sure this is extremely difficult. Maybe keep trying to send him visuals of happy thoughts and of love...Judi and Max

            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com