update on Fred's breathing...not heart failure?

  • MarthaH
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2010
      Hi
      So I spoke to the new cardiologist today for about an hour in total (so nice of her). My guy moved to Canada and she's the replacement. I described all of Fred's symptoms and she said the fact taht he has the crackling/squeaky breathing But NOT fast breathing --his respiration has been around 13 breaths/minute leads her to believe that it is NOT cardiac failure. She said that the reason why the Lasix may appear to be helping a bit is that Lasix also has vasodilation properties, so the diuretic effect may not be what he needs.

      She also said that because his HCM was diagnosed as "mild" in February, she said it was rare in an old cat to see a quick progression to cardiac heart failure, so she also doubted it was that..

      She recommended we start with Xrys to see if we can see lung issues and the heart to rule out CHF...and avoid doing another echo. She said that his mouth issue could mean something in the larynx/mouth/nasal cavity and he would have to go under sedation to be inspected--esp as he won't let the vet open his mouth on the last visit...so not sure I want to do this...

      but anyway, so I have an appt with normal vet on Friday for general check up and Xray. Hopefully if all he needs is asthma meds he can have an inhaler and that might be that. She was VERY understanding of how hard it was to decide what to do given his age, and quality of life, etc.

      anyway, so his breathing is still an issue but I guess perhaps not as worrying...
    • Wendy Solem
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2010
        Hi Martha,

        MY Vet moved to Montreal and was replaced with a very nice cardiologist from
        Cornell and I'm wondering if you and I share 5th Ave?

        If so, I found that as much as I loved the Canadian Dr (he saved my Tino's
        life)

        This Dr was also very, very good!

        I hope its the same, if so....our kids are in good hands!

        (if not, I'm sure they are anyway) but I just had a wonderful experience with
        both of them!

        Good Luck,
        Wendy "Tino" and "Joey"

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2010
          I'm thinking that you should let her do the tests that she feels needs to be
          done. She's new and she's looking at things from a different angle.
          Obviously what is on his file at this time doesn't give her the information
          she needs. It could save poor Fred a lot of pilling <vbg>

          Annie
          CoonStars
          South Africa

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 23, 2010
            Hi

            Crackling can also be caused by an infection. I've taken my heart (and non
            heart) cats in with squeaky crackly breathing on several occasions, fearing
            heart failure and found it was a bronchitis which responded well to
            certain antibiotics. Alex had samples taken and had pseudoplasma which needed a
            certain antibiotic and his wheezing cleared up.

            Sauce was the last with mild pneumonia and I was convinced it was heart
            faiulure, but she had oxytetracycline and it cleared within 3 days.

          • Barbie
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23, 2010
              I didn't realize that the crackling means
              heart failure.  I thought it meant fluid on
              the lungs, which I guess the bottom line
              does mean heart failure if not treated.
              Is that what you mean or are you saying that
              when a cat has that crackling and popping
              they are already in heart failure.  I have
              been so stressed the past few days I am
              getting worried for my own health in the heart'
              department.  I just don't know how much
              more of this I can take.  I am about to break.
              I don't think my husband realizes or if he
              is taking me serious when I tell him I have
              had a lot of chest pain since all this started.
              I can't just keep on paying vet bills this is
              already starting to get out of hand.  I have
              already decided NO second echo, too expensive
              to tell me if it has progressed in a month.
              I just don't feel the need for someone to tell
              me it has gotten a bit worse or stayed the same.
              I just don't feel their is any point to that info
              honestly.  I guess some of you may feel differently
              but that is how I feel about it.  I can also imagine
              that as soon as I let my Internist know that I am
              holding off on the echo she will no longer offer
              treatment for us.  Which is fine because then I know
              it is about the money and not the pet.  As some
              of you may be picking up I am finding myself angry
              this morning.  I am tired, stressed, having palpitations
              getting tired of trying to keep a cat with me and it
              seems harder on her more than anything.  I know
              you all may have experienced this, today I have no
              patience left for this disease.  I am exhausted!!!

              So I guess they might have wanted to tell me that
              this drug doesn't take fluids out of the lungs which
              was her problem.  No wonder she has gotten worse
              and seems to be back at square one.  They did say
              I would possibly have to give her lasix, why did they
              say possibly when they knew better.  That is where
              I think my anger is coming from right now.  I hate
              giving her the lasix because she is so badly allergic
              to it.  I worry that at some point her esophagus is
              just going to close up on her.  I hate this whole
              situation.  I need to stop now because I'm too upset
              to continue typing.

              Barbie

              see in them what I am".

              Gustav Klimt

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 23, 2010
                Yes, Barbie, you're absolutely correct. Hearing crackling and popping in the lungs DOES mean that there IS fluid... it doesn't necessarily mean their in end stage heart failure. It just means there is fluid there, that the heart is not functioning efficiently. Yes, heart failure can occur because of fluid in the lungs, fluid backing up in the heart, fluid in the pleural cavity, inbetween the cavity, all those places, but that doesn't mean they're in "heart failure'. It means that the heart is not functioning properly, and that's why we try to manage it with medications. They call it "congestive heart failure", because it's the process of the heart failing from congestion. It's kind of two separate things... the fluid accumulates from a heart that doesn't function properly and that can cause the heart failure.

                Carol and Angel Snowball
                and the gang

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 23, 2010
                  Thanks for explaining that so well Carol.  I will give her Lasix
                  today then instead of the Spiro for her next dose in a few hours.
                  I just looked back in the journal and had not even realized she
                  has actually been getting furo everyday since we started her
                  on the spiro.  I thought she had gone without a few days, but
                  nope after looking she has had both everyday.  Even though she
                  was having a bad reaction to the Lasix, at least it seemed to
                  keep her lungs clear and from the x-ray it definitely was keeping
                  it nice and clear.  The x-ray was really dark and black in that area
                  not cloudy white like the previous x-ray when she had fluid there.
                  I hate to say even though she is having a bad reaction to the lasix
                  I am just going to have to stick with it.  I wonder if it would be
                  okay to give one dose of that a day, then the next dose of spiro.
                  I need to try what works.  I know 1/4 pill of lasix twice a day
                  WAS working but the allergic reaction was awful for her to endure.
                  I am wondering if the lungs were that clear if giving her at least
                  that one dose with the one dose of spiro would at least relieve
                  her from the symptoms twice a day and keep symptoms of fluid
                  buildup away.  I guess this is what I will try for the next few days.
                  It seems it is trail and error to find what works for every individual
                  cat.  And of course that doesn't mean that dosing regime will continue
                  to work either.  I hope this works though, one dose of furo and one
                  dose of spiro.  Bless her heart, she is so precious and it kills me a
                  little more every day to see her like this.  So hard.

                  Barbie

                  see in them what I am".

                  Gustav Klimt

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
                    Ah, I'm so sorry for the stress and unhappiness, Barbie. We're thinking of
                    you both. I wish you strength.

                    Annie
                    CoonStars
                    South Africa

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
                      Thanks Annie I fear she is going into congestive
                      heart failure.  Will be giving Lasix this morning
                      and dread to put her through the allergic reaction
                      yet again.  It is sort of like a mild seizure.  But
                      for those of us who have experienced seizures
                      it isn't pretty even mild types.  I don't know what
                      else to do.  I think I need to put her down because
                      this is just not right or fair to her.  I can't stand
                      this anymore, I'm at my end!

                      Barbie

                      see in them what I am".

                      Gustav Klimt