Spironolactone.

  • Barbie
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2010
      I wanted to know if those of you who used spironolactone
      diuretic and had to use Lasix once in awhile replaced one
      of the spiro doses with the Lasix or added the addional
      dose of Lasix on top of the doses of spiro.  I called Internist
      but she still has not called me back to answer this question.
      Nunu is still not breathing the very best.  She had furosemide
      at 6am and then I gave her spiro 10 hours after, she is still
      not breathing very well.

      Have those of you who have used spiro notice it works slower
      than furosemide?

      Thanks

      Barbie

      see in them what I am".

      Gustav Klimt

    • toomany_kittys
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2010
        Barbie,
        I have given both Spiro and Lasix to 2 cats. Lasix works better for fluid in the lungs and the Spiro for fluid outside the lungs, so if there is effusion in both places or in the lungs and abdomen both are given. I have never replaced one with the other but have always given both - the Spiro once a day and the Lasix two or three times daily.
        El

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 23, 2010
          Hi Barbie

          I have never replaced spiro with lasix and given both together for fluid on
          the lungs. Spiro did seem to take longer to stabilise my cats and they
          still need lasix topups when needed.

        • Barbie
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2010
            See that is the problem here, I can't give mine Lasix
            that often it is literally killing her.  I have no choice
            right now, and it is killing me to have to give her this
            knowing what it does to her.  It just angers me that
            they dont' have something else that does exactly
            the same thing.  Why would they give me a drug they
            know is for water outside the lungs when I needed
            something for inside the lungs where the problem is?
            From the beginning I was lead to believe the water
            was inside her lungs not outside.

            Or is it most likely when cats get fluid they get it in
            both places 100% of the time or a very high percentage
            of the time.  I just don't understand why they would
            tell me to give her this knowing it was going to create
            the problem we tried to get rid of over the past month
            which it has.  Now I am giving her the two doses of spiro
            and an additional dose of the lasix for the past three days.
            And that is me precribing because I have not been able
            to get answers from anyone and she needed help.
            It seems to be getting a bit better but right now I am not
            even sure anymore.  Like I said I feel like I am ready for
            the little white jacket, on my way to the funny farm for sure.
            I am usually a very comedic person but of course there has
            not been anything about this that is funny.  I usually can
            find humor in just about anything, this.... not so far.

            Barbie

            see in them what I am".

            Gustav Klimt

            ________________________________
            I have given both Spiro and Lasix to 2 cats. Lasix works better for fluid in the
            lungs and the Spiro for fluid outside the lungs, so if there is effusion in both
            places or in the lungs and abdomen both are given. I have never replaced one
            with the other but have always given both - the Spiro once a day and the Lasix
            two or three times daily.
            El

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Barbie <barbie_guitard@...> wrote:

            > I wanted to know if those of you who used spironolactone
            > diuretic and had to use Lasix once in awhile replaced one
            > of the spiro doses with the Lasix or added the addional
            > dose of Lasix on top of the doses of spiro.  I called Internist
            > but she still has not called me back to answer this question.
            > Nunu is still not breathing the very best.  She had furosemide
            > at 6am and then I gave her spiro 10 hours after, she is still
            > not breathing very well.
            >
            > Have those of you who have used spiro notice it works slower
            > than furosemide?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Barbie
            >
            > "Whoever wants to know something about me,
            > must observe my paintings carefully and try to
            > see in them what I am".
            >
            > Gustav Klimt

          • Barbie
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2010
              Hi Melissa I have heard a couple
              of ladies talk about it.  Is this
              what you were given from the beginning
              for treatment?  Does it take fluids
              from inside or outside of lungs?

              I hope I get the answers I need soon
              I am about to jump off my balcony.
              Don't worry it is only about 2 ft high.  LOL.

              Barbie

              see in them what I am".

              Gustav Klimt

              ________________________________
              Have you tried HCTZ? (Hydrochlorothiazide) It is a diuretic. I give it to my
              Winston.

              >See that is the problem here, I can't give mine Lasix
              >that often it is literally killing her.  I have no choice
              >right now, and it is killing me to have to give her this
              >knowing what it does to her.  It just angers me that
              >they dont' have something else that does exactly
              >the same thing.  Why would they give me a drug they
              >know is for water outside the lungs when I needed
              >something for inside the lungs where the problem is?
              >From the beginning I was lead to believe the water
              >was inside her lungs not outside.
              >
              >Or is it most likely when cats get fluid they get it in
              >both places 100% of the time or a very high percentage
              >of the time.  I just don't understand why they would
              >tell me to give her this knowing it was going to create
              >the problem we tried to get rid of over the past month
              >which it has.  Now I am giving her the two doses of spiro
              >and an additional dose of the lasix for the past three days.
              >And that is me precribing because I have not been able
              >to get answers from anyone and she needed help.
              >It seems to be getting a bit better but right now I am not
              >even sure anymore.  Like I said I feel like I am ready for
              >the little white jacket, on my way to the funny farm for sure.
              >I am usually a very comedic person but of course there has
              >not been anything about this that is funny.  I usually can
              >find humor in just about anything, this.... not so far.
              >
              >Barbie

              >"Whoever wants to know something about me,
              >must observe my paintings carefully and try to
              >see in them what I am".

              >Gustav Klimt

              >________________________________

            • Annie
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 24, 2010
                Would giving her some potassium not help?

                Annie
                CoonStars
                South Africa

                I have given both Spiro and Lasix to 2 cats. Lasix works better for fluid in
                the
                lungs and the Spiro for fluid outside the lungs, so if there is effusion in
                both
                places or in the lungs and abdomen both are given. I have never replaced one
                with the other but have always given both - the Spiro once a day and the
                Lasix
                two or three times daily.
                El

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Barbie <barbie_guitard@...> wrote:

                > I wanted to know if those of you who used spironolactone
                > diuretic and had to use Lasix once in awhile replaced one
                > of the spiro doses with the Lasix or added the addional
                > dose of Lasix on top of the doses of spiro. I called Internist
                > but she still has not called me back to answer this question.
                > Nunu is still not breathing the very best. She had furosemide
                > at 6am and then I gave her spiro 10 hours after, she is still
                > not breathing very well.
                >
                > Have those of you who have used spiro notice it works slower
                > than furosemide?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Barbie
                >
                > "Whoever wants to know something about me,
                > must observe my paintings carefully and try to
                > see in them what I am".
                >
                > Gustav Klimt

              • Barbie
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 24, 2010
                  Potassium would kill her with her on
                  Spironotactone, since it is a potassium sparing
                  drug.

                  Barbie

                  see in them what I am".

                  Gustav Klimt