Prednisone/salt levels

  • Sandler, Zellene E.
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2001
      Do you feed your Bella any special low salt foods? I had a list from the
      Internet of foods with salt and phos content and I was trying to choose the
      lower salt ones, but Widgie has been losing weight and the foods she likes
      have more salt than I'd like. So what are you feeding Bella?

      What kind of dosage is Bella taking? How often do you do bloodwork? (I
      assume to check sodium levels you've got to do a blood test, no?)

      Widgie seemed so down this morning. She no longer wakes me with her precious
      kisses, though she purred a little when I petted her. I just don't know what
      to do. I don't want to dose her with anything that's harmful, but I also
      want her to feel as good as possible. It's the same dilemma with food. I
      want her to eat the premium, lower salt varieties, but I also want her to be
      happy with her foodies. She ate ravenously of some liver I gave her last
      night, but I couldn't give her too much of that because of the high A
      content.

      I went through a similar thing with Katchina, my precious kitty who died
      last year of cancer. At first I was giving so many supps and so careful with
      food. Then towards the end, it was anything she wanted to eat, even stuff
      that was terrible for her.

    • Melody Woods
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2001
        I made a decision that Bella would have a life quality// denied to her daughter who had the same problems. This less then ideal quality of life
        was cause on my then vet insisted this cat could never have steroids again.
        and because
        she didn't believe you could treat heart and kidneys together..also not true.
        My kitty died (heart related) and didn't have an easy time last six months..I loved her more then anyone can imagine and blamed myself for listening to an idiot
        That's only the start of her incompetence many older heart list members may remember my writing about this..

        Bella has had better care because of better choices..one of these choices is to never believe only one vet...second opinion always ....Bella gets bloodwork about every two months..salt level is high normal as of last bloodwork
        as I said in last note. about steroids .nothing long term..that is risky..so no depro..second this does lower the immune system...so antibiotics may necessary along with it much
        of the time....you will see an enormous difference in behavior if this is going to work..it should work within days....the only exception to its doing any good would be if your kitty had high BUN..ie acidosis...if the cat has this, she should be put on k citrine which helps with potassium levels and also acidosis...a vet has to give prescription..I don't bother with special foods as Bella is a very picky eater..she gets fancy feast, baby food, turkey and chicken and real tuna..we supplement with taurine.protects the heart and baby food lacks this one element..sometimes we add vitamin e ..and also she is on norvasc for blood pressure...she gets daily vitamin b 12 shots....pills don't work...this is experimental based on a study that my vet found, he is having success with this in other patients.b12 also protects the heart...as well we give rutin which prevents plural effusion, retained fluids in lungs..it does have some effect on inflammation.its an herb and safe. she gets as well by pill regular b supplements, renafood andk citrine...We keep honey on hand to help with low blood sugar..and will give KMR and nutracal when she wishes it......all levels are checked in bloodwork..for the last two years all money other then basics have gone to care..the last test did show rising salt levels but high normal...same for calcium but still high normal....as she si also a kidney patient, she gets sub fluid.which we are very careful about..the rutin balances this.....right now on normasol which has less calcium
        so we watch it..